Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2015, 06:21 AM

Default Re: As new features are added, will there be ones just for HD users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkerde View Post
arent the hd features just the video sattelite and 5.1 surround mix (with the dolby option)? I think those 2 already make the price jump that high (along with the hardware obviously) because those options cost so much, just those 2

seeing the pricing history on avid, i could see those 2 justifying the $599/year (in their history of prices of course, i personally dont think its fair, but those are expensive options)

There are more than that. Some of the most notable ones are VCA faders, input monitoring & advanced metering including gain reduction meters in mix view.

I think it is a really good question.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinghits View Post
If you live in the stone age, then that's a fair statement and PT is the greatest ever. If you compare Avid/PT to other DAWs on the market, then it's blatantly obvious that PT is crippled for the sake of greed and profit.
Have you notice that the more you go up a level with cubase, from elements to artist to PRO and then to Nuendo, the more you pay and the more options you have? It's the same with most daws out there, nothing new to this. Propellerhead has the same thing, Pyramix etc

Wave-T.com
Old 04-15-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Have you notice that the more you go up a level with cubase, from elements to artist to PRO and then to Nuendo, the more you pay and the more options you have? It's the same with most daws out there, nothing new to this. Propellerhead has the same thing, Pyramix etc

I get his point though. Protools is different. There isn't tiered software options - just a limited version for $899 or whole hardware systems starting at $4999 with no pathway in between.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I get his point though. Protools is different. There isn't tiered software options - just a limited version for $899 or whole hardware systems starting at $4999 with no pathway in between.
Actually there has always been a tiered system. Back in the days there was MP, then express, and now there's First. The first two came bundled with some low cost hardware, while first is completely free, with limited options of course.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-15-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Actually there has always been a tiered system. Back in the days there was MP, then express, and now there's First. The first two came bundled with some low cost hardware, while first is completely free, with limited options of course.

I think you are missing the point of makinghits's comment.

Quote:
If you live in the stone age, then that's a fair statement and PT is the greatest ever. If you compare Avid/PT to other DAWs on the market, then it's blatantly obvious that PT is crippled for the sake of greed and profit.
To get more than 32 inputs in Protools, you need to throw your $899 license out and spend $4999 on an entry level HD system. To get more than 32 inputs in Cubase... it costs as little as $299 to upgrade. That is what his gripe is about.

Steinberg entice users to spend more money by offering them legitimate options. Avid try and starve out users to make them spend exponentially more than they may need to. You are definitely right - in the past Digidesign did have more options. LE, MP, & CPTK actually gave users some options to pick and choose... but LE died at PT8, MP at PT9 and the CPTK was phased out.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:49 PM

There's always the line somewhere, and currently it is 32 inputs.

Big deal? It used to be 18 inputs back in the LE hardware days. That was limiting for sure. Now? I think I could do quite a gig with non-HD system. While I certainly like to have more than 32 inputs available, it's not that I absolutely NEED more than that very often. Of course, when I do, I must have it.

Just sayin' it's not that bad to be limited to "only" 32 inputs before you need to buy an HD system.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
There's always the line somewhere, and currently it is 32 inputs.

Big deal? It used to be 18 inputs back in the LE hardware days. That was limiting for sure. Now? I think I could do quite a gig with non-HD system. While I certainly like to have more than 32 inputs available, it's not that I absolutely NEED more than that very often. Of course, when I do, I must have it.

Just sayin' it's not that bad to be limited to "only" 32 inputs before you need to buy an HD system.

Yes it is. Because if you want more than 32 I/O you need to invest in a flagship system that also includes extensive post features which otherwise may not be needed. That is where Avid has CHOSEN to set the line. As makinghits suggested (in stronger words than I would have probably used), if you compare it to other DAW manufacturers it is very heavy handed and undoubtably driven by profit.

Bring LE into the conversation just goes even further to support makinghits's initial statement!
Old 04-16-2015, 08:58 AM

As I said, there is always a line between hobbyist and professional line. I have zero trouble to say that 32 inputs is PLENTY, and if you really NEED more you can find budget for it.

Back then when it was 18 or HD things were very much different. Now, I don't feel bad if someone cannot afford HD.

Just my opinion, though...
Old 04-16-2015, 09:01 AM

(and back then entry-level HD meant 16 inputs for 10 grand)
Old 04-16-2015, 09:18 AM

I'm anxious to upgrade but not until new features are released. 24 days as of this posting - check the countup timer: http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/pt1...ntuptimer.html

There are 3 features that would make me happy but I don't expect any of the to actually happen.

1.) A way to quickly save and instantiate banks of plugin presets - I'm not talking about templates or importing tracks from templates - I want a way to save my own custom "channel strips" of plugins and instantiate them on a track in a single click. Drag n Drop like what Studio One has would be awesome but not really required, a drop down menu would be fine.

2.) Bring back HEAT to Pro Tools HD Native users. Come on, we had it with TDM then lost it upgrading to HD Native.

3.) Regular Pro Tools (non HD) users should get input monitoring. Included in virtually every DAW program in existence, except Pro Tools.
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD