Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-10-2015, 09:23 PM

Default PT 12 Suddenly slow/freezing

I don't know exactly what's going on, but the past couple days PT 12 would open up quickly. No issues, and great!

Today, however, it's really extremely slow on loading the plugins, and takes a couple minutes to get to the "Open/Create" screen, and then the circle just spins.

I've deleted the database from the C:\Users\<user>\Avid\Pro Tools folder.

Nothing helps. It's not trying to connect to the cloud or marketplace is it?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:54 PM

Default Re: PT 12 Suddenly slow/freezing

Well, I solved it, but I don't know what the problem was. There was only one windows update that has been installed yesterday, but I removed it and it did not solve the problem. I did install a Windows Defender definition today.

Basically it would sit there trying to "Initialize Databases" for a little bit, then it would slowly load every plugin, then it would sit at "Initializing MIDI...", and then when the Open/Create screen would appear, it would just freeze.

The only way I could get it to work was to open Programs and Features and do a Repair on the Pro Tools install.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:13 PM

Check your hard drive for errors.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-10-2015, 10:54 PM

The drives seem okay. They're brand new 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSDs, one for the main OS and a second one for all of the sample libraries. They both test out okay with the chkdsk utility, as well as the Samsung health check. Hopefully it was just a one time issue.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:25 AM

Have you done the 'obligatory' optimizations for Windows that are outlined in the optimization sticky? I believe one of them is to not run your anti-virus program. Another is to make sure you don't have a dvd or cd in the optical drive. I also think there is a bios tweak or two that has to be performed. One of them being to shut off any floppy features. I believe that would also include boot order. I'm on a Mac so I have done those for my Mac and it really helps. One last thing but probably not an issue because you're on a PC, have you enabled TRIM support for your SSD's?
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:03 AM

ArKay99,

Thanks for replying also. I'll have to check out the sticky, and check the optimizations. Anti-virus is okay, there was a DVD in the drive; however, I removed it and experienced the same. I'll have to check the bios settings. No floppy, and bios has always been set to have that disabled. Also, using Windows 7, TRIM has automatically been enabled.

I was able to query it using:
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify and it returned a 0.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:31 PM

ArKay99 is right! That is the entire problem. If I have a DVD in my BluRay drive, PT 12 sits there at Initializing Databases, and then the instruments. As soon as I eject it, PT 12 opens up. Interesting...

Thank you, ArKay99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
Have you done the 'obligatory' optimizations for Windows that are outlined in the optimization sticky? I believe one of them is to not run your anti-virus program. Another is to make sure you don't have a dvd or cd in the optical drive. I also think there is a bios tweak or two that has to be performed. One of them being to shut off any floppy features. I believe that would also include boot order. I'm on a Mac so I have done those for my Mac and it really helps. One last thing but probably not an issue because you're on a PC, have you enabled TRIM support for your SSD's?
Old 04-18-2015, 01:05 AM

See that you dont have any cd or dvd in the drive.(sorry didnt read all the posts)
Peace
Old 04-22-2015, 07:13 PM

I have spend the entire day trying to troubleshoot my computer. Checked everything about the HDD ... viruses, malware, spyware. A CD IN THE DISC DRIVE WAS THE PROBLEM?!?!?!

Aaaannnyway. Thank you guys for the help.

I feel better now, although still very baffled that this is a bug.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:26 PM

I had a DVD in my drive and it caused Pro Tools to run stupidly slow.