Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-20-2004, 12:31 PM

Default Loss of quality after bounce

Whenver I bounce down a song from PT, I get a noticeable loss in sound quality. In other words, if I listen to my mix with headphones while the song is playing in PT, it sounds great. But when I bounce it down and listen to the same song on the same set of headphones, the crispness of the sound has diminished some.

Have any of you experienced this, and did you find a way to remedy it? Is there some PT setting that I'm not aware of and should set differently?

FYI, I'm on a PC with Digi 001 (PTLE 5.1), and I bounce to wav files.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Loss of quality after bounce

What sample rate and bit rate do you record at?

Are you using dither when you bounce? I record at 44.1 and 24. I use dither to get down to 44.1 and 16.

John

Old 01-20-2004, 12:41 PM

This was topic long ago and fellows recommended to rather record the two bus to a stereo track if possible and bounce from there.

Through what application were you playing the bounce? From what I read players do differ in sound quality. Have you tried checking it through PT yet? You could do this in the import window ( "import audio to track" option ).
Should you find it to be the player maybe you want to try another. I have good experiences with MusicMatch.

Hope that helps.

Lalaman
Old 01-20-2004, 12:43 PM

check the settings in the dialog box when you click bounce to disk.

It should be 16 bit stereo interleaved wave file. (that's the most common, i think.)

Also, what are you listening back to it on? Do you have a master fader on the session, are you getting a good enough level going out?

What is the lack of quality? Volume? Clarity?

Getting a mix to be consistent on a variety of systems isn't always easy.

Hope this helps.
bp
Old 01-20-2004, 01:10 PM

I record at 44.1/16-bit

The main problem I'm encountering is that the sound quality becomes a bit muted. For example, imagine you're playing electric guitar and then you put a pillow in front of your amp's speakers. You can still hear everything, but it's not as crisp.

And while I consider this a lesser issue, my bounced files are considerably softer than professionally produced CDs, despite my putting the master fader as high as I can without clipping. (I've posted on this issue before and have not really found a solution)

I've listened back to my songs with Windows Media Player, both with headphones and my computer's speakers. I've also listened to it in my car. It's definitely punchier in the car. The thing is, it sounds good on a good sound system. But I want to have mixes that'll sound decent on small, weak systems too. When I listen to my favorite albums, they sound great no matter what I'm listening to them through (naturally, I can't afford Pink Floyd's engineers, mixers and mastering houses, though).

I'll have to give it a listen in PT to compare.

Any new thoughts based on this information?
Old 01-20-2004, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I can't afford Pink Floyd's engineers, mixers and mastering houses, though).

Bingo...mastering IS an art... It is not for nothing that people pay top dollar for "some eq and compressor/limiter usage".

Has nothing to do with the mix-bus in ptle (sound good from witin ptle...right?), could have something to do with the change from 24 to 16 bit, but i bet it has to do with mastering and mixes translating not that good to other systems/speakers

Bastiaan
Old 01-20-2004, 02:31 PM

I won't deny that mastering is an art and an integral part of putting out a professional album.

I just wish I could figure out how to make my amateur recordings a little closer to professional-sounding for free.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:36 PM

Try some compression on your master fader or master track. Maxim is a good one.
Sometimes a little on the initial mix to stereo. Then a little on the bounce from stereo to wav.
Good Luck

Old 01-20-2004, 05:37 PM

Also windows media player is known for bad play-back quality.
I wouldn´t use that thing.
As I said, check out whether the bounce would still sound that different through the import window in PT. ( It plays from disc, you won´t need to import the file.)

Lalaman
Old 01-20-2004, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.