Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 07-05-2014, 02:00 AM

Default AAE 9173 Pro Tools ran out of CPU power

This crash is a bug pure and simple! Its got nothing to do with running out of cpu power. I had 1 vocal, 1 nexus, 1 transfuser track...using less than 5% cpu at the time of crash and it comes up with this pitiful excuse:

"Pro Tools ran out of CPU power. Try de-activating or removing Native plug-ins. -9173".

Currently running the latest Protools 11, I have gone through the optimizing checklist, have a 6 core processor and the latest drivers and you cant tell me Avid this is caused by high cpu usage, you cant tell me this is a system fault. Ive done everything imaginable to ensure I DONT have performance related issues and...I get THIS! Beautiful! Thank you AVID once again you have really made my day. Keep up the good work!
WD Black SATA 7200
ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Mbox3 Pro Firewire 400
ProTools 10.3.8
ProTools 11.3.1

https://soundcloud.com/matthewcrowe
Old 07-05-2014, 02:30 AM
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: AAE 9173 Pro Tools ran out of CPU power

I'm not a tech, but could this possibly be related to a specific plug-in?

Have you checked to see if all of your plug-ins are updated to their most current version? (Nexus2 version 2.6.5 fixed a crash issue, for example)

Have you been able to reproduce this problem on Pro Tools 11.2?

Have you been able to reproduce this on Pro Tools 11.1.3?

From what you have written, it does sound like the error message may not be the actual problem, given the minimal amount of complexity of your session. So I don't know that the Kbase article for error 9173 would be of help.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:42 AM

No, its of no help and thats whats so frustrating about this, the AAE 9173 error doesn't correspond to the actual problem which means there's no way I can find a solution without knowing why.
Its definitely a bug in the 11.2 (which is what Im using). Didn't get it before I updated the other day and its not just me getting it, there are others under the same circumstances..even Mac users....
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/pro-t...l#post10236903

I mean I cant understand it, I was doing a session with over 40 tracks yesterday and today 3 tracks..it crashes and tells me Im pushing my cpu! Madness!
WD Black SATA 7200
ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Mbox3 Pro Firewire 400
ProTools 10.3.8
ProTools 11.3.1

Old 07-05-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh View Post
No, its of no help and thats whats so frustrating about this, the AAE 9173 error doesn't correspond to the actual problem which means there's no way I can find a solution without knowing why.
Its definitely a bug in the 11.2 (which is what Im using). Didn't get it before I updated the other day and its not just me getting it, there are others under the same circumstances..even Mac users....
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/pro-t...l#post10236903

I mean I cant understand it, I was doing a session with over 40 tracks yesterday and today 3 tracks..it crashes and tells me Im pushing my cpu! Madness!

without transfuser in the session does it still do this.

I had major AAE errors and would result in stuck audio and a force quit needed to get back. It was a combination of the AIR Music Tech v2 instruments and the audio driver, and wireless enabled. I was using the Mbox driver but on a mac switched to the aggregate driver, and when turning off my WIFI I got way less of those errors. (not completely gone but better)

I've since stopped using Hybrid, Strike, Transfuser (if I need it I try not to save while playback and print then deactivate) Loom, Velvet...

I have been using Structure without the error..

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:04 AM

I echo the above comments -
PT11 in general and now 11.2 in particular is very sensitive to Plug ins - even if they are just loaded on startup and not used. I am in the process of vetting my system for 96kHz/64 buffer work exclusively using HDN and a new Mac Pro. With just normal plugins many are not making the cut for low CPU impact. Much of this only shows up when a plug is in a record armed track or in an Aux when record is enabled. Sadly - I know no other way then to walk through your plugins one by one to see what if any problems you find at your preferred sample rate and buffer setting.

Some of the issues may also be Windows specific and on these I have no help for you...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 07-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Admin Emeritus

You didn't answer any of the questions I asked...
Quote:
Have you checked to see if all of your plug-ins are updated to their most current version? (Nexus2 version 2.6.5 fixed a crash issue, for example)

Have you been able to reproduce this problem on Pro Tools 11.2?

Have you been able to reproduce this on Pro Tools 11.1.3?
Old 07-05-2014, 07:22 PM

Im using pt 11.2 and all plugins are up to date and no I haven't tried in 11.1.3. I was previously using 11.1.2 but I was crashing with high number of tracks with that (error: AAE-30001).
WD Black SATA 7200
ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Mbox3 Pro Firewire 400
ProTools 10.3.8
ProTools 11.3.1

Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 PM

Your symptoms are screaming "broken plugin". Focus on that.

Yes its nice they are up to date, but that does not guarantee you don't have a bug or mangled plugin or plugin file you missed. You need to try the standard troubleshooting step of removing all third party plugin files and seeing if the problem goes away. Just drag *all* the aax plugin files out of their standard directory to any old directory somewhere else, Pro Tools will put back the standard system ones. If the problem goes aways, start putting putting them back in batches until things go south. Yes a plugin only needs to be loaded, not even instantiated/used in the session to cause problems.

Also try a new empty session (not from template, not a copy), and trash prefs and databases.

If that does not fix it, post a Sandra report. See the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" above on this page.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Yes its nice they are up to date, but that does not guarantee you don't have a bug or mangled plugin or plugin file you missed. You need to try the standard troubleshooting step of removing all third party plugin files and seeing if the problem goes away. Just drag *all* the aax plugin files out of their standard directory to any old directory somewhere else, Pro Tools will put back the standard system ones. If the problem goes aways, start putting putting them back in batches until things go south. Yes a plugin only needs to be loaded, not even instantiated/used in the session to cause problems.
So by doing this you narrow down the offending plugins and then what? You dont use them anymore?? I dont know about everyone else but I only have 1 beat Vi, transfuser. The reason I went for AIR plugins is because they're made for Pro tools!
WD Black SATA 7200
ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Mbox3 Pro Firewire 400
ProTools 10.3.8
ProTools 11.3.1

Old 07-05-2014, 08:06 PM

Default AAE 9173 Pro Tools ran out of CPU power

You find out if a plugin is causing a problem. If so then you leave it uninstalled and contact the manufacturer.

Maybe it is not a third party plugin and you find that out quickly and move on knowing you have greatly reduced the problem space. And I have already suggested next steps beyond that...

Just go do it. It may come as a shock but systematic debugging tends to help solve more problems than complaining about things.