Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2018, 10:29 AM

Default Performance issue. tips?

The pc I'm running is far from top of the line, but it's still pretty solid. windows 10, 16gb ram, 4.5ghz processor, 1tb SSD and i have no other programs open when in pro tools, i've done pretty much all of the windows 10 performance configuration tips on the main AVID site, to no avail.

If i have even a few instances of waves hybrid reverb, and a few other plugins, everything slows down and becomes REALLY glitchy. but when i have a look at the pc's performance monitoring, cpu is doing next to nothing, ram is pretty low and even the disk usage is less than half. No idea what to do about it. When i open up Cubase and throw in over twice as many instances of that reverb (along with 20 or so other plugins) its smooth as butter.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Performance issue. tips?

Do *all* the optimizations, every last damn one. Leave them all done for now. You can try backing off some later if needed.

What playback engine? What exact driver and version?

What IO buffer size? Are you are tracking or mixing? if mixing increase the IO buffer size.

Make sure dynamic plugin processing is *not* checked.

Make sure "ignore errors" is not checked - what AAE errors if any get thrown?

To try to help things a little set disk cache to a size, e.g. 2GB. "Normal" or "Standard" or whatever it is called is effectively off.

And as always: always suspect plugins (even ones you have installed but not instantiated in the session) so you need to do all the standard plugin troubleshooting: trash prefs, check plugins are all up to date, move all .aax plugins out of the olugin folder (Pro Tools will put back the standard plugins) and check with just the standard plugins. Adding back third party plugin files in batches as you check behavior. etc. Read troubleshooting section under "help us help you" up top of very DUC web page.

Think about your workflow:

- Do you need so many instances of a reverb? Can you bus stuff to reduce the number of instances?
- Can you use track freeze/commit to reduce load?

You can stop looking at systems or Pro Tools utilization/performance meters they will not help more here.

Still having problems? Post a SiSoft Sandra report, and describe in detail all the troubleshooting you have tried.