Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2001, 04:58 AM

Default drum triggers/modules

Does anybody use triggers. I was thinking about buying a module and some triggers, what do you recomend. Also whats the deal with these sound replacer programs. Can I replace recorded drums with sampled ones. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2001, 08:46 AM

Default Re: drum triggers/modules

I just finished a project yesterday where i used a trigger on the snare for the first time. I purchased a Pintech trigger from musicians friend, $10. I already have soundreplacer.
Using the trigger and replaceing the trigger hit w/ a snare using soundreplacer was so easy i could not beleive i had not used it before.
I am thinking about triggering toms now too.
I had tried using SR w/o using a trigger on the snare, but bleedover presented such a problem that i had to buy a trigger.
I do not have a drum module, you do not need one. I am going to buy some drum cd samples now.

rock

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 09-18-2001, 10:10 AM

s.d.

Does the snare trigger give you all the varying levels of attack and velocity you get with a mic - or at least three as needed for SoundReplacer?
Old 09-18-2001, 11:21 AM

Bassmac, yes, the dynamics that the drummer gives to the snare is caputured by the trigger.Ghost notes and rimshots are a different situation. I also have 2 other mics on the snare,bottom and side, so i can blend all 3 together, and then blend w/ the overheads.

sdf

Old 09-18-2001, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the info. So, I really dont know anything about this SR program. Does it have its own drum sounds? Is there only 1 SR program? Sorry for all the Q's, I'm just tryin to learn.
Old 09-18-2001, 02:26 PM

Reply...no problem. There can only be one!
Sorry [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , had to do it. I think there is only one SoundReplacer, its listed in the software section products.Its in plugins, its audiosuite only and Digi makes it. I do not even think that there is a similar program for VST or MAS.
It does not, or mine did not, come w/ its own sounds.
However, you can import sounds into it. Via a cd smpler of drumkits, or...you can find the best "hit" on the drum track and import it into SR's plugin settings. You could also have the drummer hit his drums after the take to get a good sample too.
A program like Recycle makes it even easier, to pick apart loops and take the sounds you want.
In SR, you can set 3 different thresholds for 3 different(or different sounds even) dynamic settings for the sound. IE, soft snare hit, medium sh, hard sh.
Its pretty ez to use, although not all the hits line up all the time, and if they are off, its usally by a few MS.
I just zoom in and drag the new audio to line up w/ a snare hit i am keeping.
hope this helps

sdf

Old 09-18-2001, 02:41 PM

Just in case you're still interested in an actual drum module, I thought I'd make my suggestion for the Alesis line, particularly the DM Pro. The quality of internal sounds on that thing is amazing, great for replacing any real drum sounds. Ever since the D4 many of them have become studio standards. The other perks would be that you could one day buy triggers or electronic pads and have a playable set, unlike software options. Not to mention the software for the DM Pro that allows you to import your own samples to a PCMCIA card for later use (live triggering, etc.) Hope this helps!!!
Old 09-19-2001, 06:22 AM

thanks!
Old 09-20-2001, 09:12 PM

Here's a great tip for triggering. Only use good triggers. Pintech will not do, get D-Drum. Yes they are more money but they will last FOREVER and never hurt any drum. They aren't even that much. Anyway, there's two scenarios for triggering. Live, and after the fact. For both I recommend that you plug the trigger RIGHT INTO A MIC PRE, then A)Compress and go to the sound module/tape machine or B) record the disgusting sound of the trigger itself. I recommend recording the nasty sound. It is SO easy to trigger that with soundreplacer it's incredible, and you easily get ALL of the dynamics as accurately as the drummer played them. I've never had 100 percent luck with triggering accurately live with any dynamics, especially when new at it. It is something I felt was changing the way I was playing just so it would trigger right, and that's not cool for me. For lack of decent outboard stuff I've never tried LIVE the trigger into a pre into a comp into the module into the PA scenario.
Old 09-20-2001, 10:24 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by the_riot:
Just in case you're still interested in an actual drum module, I thought I'd make my suggestion for the Alesis line, particularly the DM Pro. The quality of internal sounds on that thing is amazing, great for replacing any real drum sounds. Ever since the D4 many of them have become studio standards. The other perks would be that you could one day buy triggers or electronic pads and have a playable set, unlike software options. Not to mention the software for the DM Pro that allows you to import your own samples to a PCMCIA card for later use (live triggering, etc.) Hope this helps!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just want to add a "ditto" to this post. My only gripe with the DMPro is its a little tedious to audition the patches. The quality is as good as it gets, though...all 20 bit with cymbal crashes that ring for 5 seconds with no looping. And it's very well set up for 12 (or is it 16?) triggers. Since Alesis has gone down I'm not sure how hard they are to get now, though...I wouldn't sit on the fence too long.