Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Default Canopus ADVC 110

Hello all,

I run a Pro Tools HD2 on a G5. For video playback , I used the internal video window and dragged it to a separate screen so far. It works, but sometimes it feels like the G5 is getting a little "weak" in reacting on commands.

I thought about getting a Canopus firewire interface to play back video on a separate TV screen.
Do you think that would make any difference regarding the performance of my "old" rig ?

Regards,

Cornelius
Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Canopus ADVC 110

I have used that box on G5s and Intel Macs they work pretty good. The quality isn't the best but it works. One thing you will have to consider is that everything will have to be converted to DV if you wanna run it through a firewire device.

I can say that it will actually help with performance. But Im not thinking so. I'm thinking maybe your computer is boggin down because of the quicktime format videos you are using on that G5.

kd
Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 AM

The Canopus will improve performance of your computer a little bit. Some of the graphic processing load is being reduced. When I had a G5, I used the Aurora Fuse X PCI card which was hands-down superior to the Canopus in every way. If you can find one (and someone in this forum has one in a closet, I'm sure), search the archives here for the right driver, etc.. The company went out of business long ago, but their products were great.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM

Basslab,

I've been using the canopus for years. It really saves processing power, but make sure you connect it to your tower directly to minimize buffer issues. While it doesn't have the clearest picture, it works great. It's a really economical buy if you are just dealing with audio. There are a couple of bugs, that can be bypassed as long as you unplug it while the computer starts up..
Old 06-03-2011, 02:53 AM

Hey I used the Canopus for years with my G5 and it was fine except you are limited to DV. Which means bigger video files. A lot of video houses don't like this because instead of sending you a lower compressed movie they need to send you a 20 GB monster. Plus if they shot it in HD they will need to convert it to DV for you. We do a lot of international ADR so it makes it a lot easier to send a H-264. That's why we now use and AVID Mojo!

Best,
Mitch
Old 06-04-2011, 02:45 PM

Be careful with the H264. There are a lot of variables one of which is the ability to not use a sync marker on every frame. PT not happy with that. I went to decklink to be able to use all the video formats bearing in mind you still use Quicktime, but all formats.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:31 AM

I hear ya. It also looks like crap through the MOJO. I really prefer DV25 but then again he should know if he's using Canopus his choices are limited.

Best,
Mitch
Old 11-16-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulla View Post
Basslab,

I've been using the canopus for years. It really saves processing power, but make sure you connect it to your tower directly to minimize buffer issues. While it doesn't have the clearest picture, it works great. It's a really economical buy if you are just dealing with audio. There are a couple of bugs, that can be bypassed as long as you unplug it while the computer starts up..
I have the DAVC 100 and for some reason Pro Tools isnt recognizing it on startup. I see you are aware of some "bugs" Do you know what might be going on? The firewire bis on my macbook pro is recognizing it so it's just Pro Tools that isnt. I'm operating PT 9.03

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusoPro View Post
Hey I used the Canopus for years with my G5 and it was fine except you are limited to DV. Which means bigger video files. A lot of video houses don't like this because instead of sending you a lower compressed movie they need to send you a 20 GB monster. Plus if they shot it in HD they will need to convert it to DV for you. We do a lot of international ADR so it makes it a lot easier to send a H-264. That's why we now use and AVID Mojo!

Best,
Mitch

Here's my work flow. I ask clients to send a HD H.264 and do the converting to DV on my end, which yes it can get huge, sometimes above 40+ gigs. I keep both vids so when the project is done I just delete the DV and archive with the small vid. Keep in mind when you use the canopus you have to offset it by 22q frames and keep the video on a seperate internal hard drive and it will run smooth and less taxing.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Here's my work flow. I ask clients to send a HD H.264 and do the converting to DV on my end, which yes it can get huge, sometimes above 40+ gigs. I keep both vids so when the project is done I just delete the DV and archive with the small vid. Keep in mind when you use the canopus you have to offset it by 22q frames and keep the video on a seperate internal hard drive and it will run smooth and less taxing.
Don't just assume the 22qf is the correct offset. If using canopus/ mojo/blackmagic you should also budget for a syncheck to accuratley set the offset. Learned this the hard way myself!

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5