Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 08-01-2011, 08:03 AM

Default Re: The crazy fader noise.... ready to scrap McMix

didn't get to finish that last thought... Soon is nice, but that's relative. I know there can be no times actually discussed. But right now, I've got 2 MCmixes on my desk, boxes aside of them waiting to go back to SW for money back, or exchange for another (working) solution.

So if soon is a week, I might wait it out. If soon is another month, I might punt. I know you never hear the good stories about these things... only the bad. But there seems to be an awful lot of folks with problems with these newer models. More than I'd expect. It gives me pause and makes me wonder if I ought to wait a year or so till the quality control gets back up to snuff.

I don't want to be fixing it/replacing parts every year.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjanthony View Post
didn't get to finish that last thought... Soon is nice, but that's relative. I know there can be no times actually discussed. But right now, I've got 2 MCmixes on my desk, boxes aside of them waiting to go back to SW for money back, or exchange for another (working) solution.

So if soon is a week, I might wait it out. If soon is another month, I might punt. I know you never hear the good stories about these things... only the bad. But there seems to be an awful lot of folks with problems with these newer models. More than I'd expect. It gives me pause and makes me wonder if I ought to wait a year or so till the quality control gets back up to snuff.

I don't want to be fixing it/replacing parts every year.
You'll see if you read the threads that hardware quality issues (fronthousing and touchscreen on Control) were in early builds and have been addressed with manufacturing changes at the contract manufacturer, and that programs are in place to replace product for customers who have experienced the randomly distributed issues. Moreover, we have been releasing constant updates to EUCON software on a more than quarterly basis to improve the functionality of the Artist Series with Avid and all other third party DAWs. EUCON is the only protocol that is a living, constantly developed intermediary between audio and video software, and a full range of controller solutions.

A firmware upgrade is very close to being made available that will actually improve the functionality of not only new units, but product that has been in the field since 2008. It has taken a while to develop this because we performed extensive testing on a broad range of units to improve fader movement for all of our users. .

While the hardware issues are unfortunate, we have done our best to address these quickly and responsibly for existing customers. Once the firmware update is public the faders will be moving quietly, smoothly, and more accurately.

I personally am very excited about getting this into the field, and finally laying this last issue to rest. I hope you can wait it out, as there really is no hardware alternative with touch sensitive motorized faders, and touch sensitive encoders, that is modular, extensible, and works so well with such a large ecosystem of partner applications, that is constantly being developed and improved over time.

best,
John Haydon
Principal Product Manager | Live Systems and Consoles

Avid
2001 Junipero Serra Boulevard
Daly City, CA 94014-3886
United States
[email protected]

We’re Avid.[bleep][bleep]Learn more at www.avid.com <http://www.avid.com/>
Old 08-01-2011, 03:20 PM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Haydon View Post

A firmware upgrade is very close to being made available that will actually improve the functionality of not only new units, but product that has been in the field since 2008. It has taken a while to develop this because we performed extensive testing on a broad range of units to improve fader movement for all of our users.

While the hardware issues are unfortunate, we have done our best to address these quickly and responsibly for existing customers. Once the firmware update is public the faders will be moving quietly, smoothly, and more accurately.

I personally am very excited about getting this into the field, and finally laying this last issue to rest. I hope you can wait it out, as there really is no hardware alternative with touch sensitive motorized faders, and touch sensitive encoders, that is modular, extensible, and works so well with such a large ecosystem of partner applications, that is constantly being developed and improved over time.

best,
John Haydon
Principal Product Manager | Live Systems and Consoles
Sounds great! It's already amazing equipment and this new update will just confirm that I've made the right choice going with the Artist series.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM

i appreciate it tremendously. i like the surface. the faders don't feel as smooth as i'd like, but then again you mention that could be changing as well. i really hope things get straightened out, because having these in house has made me feel like a mixer again, rather than an IT guy.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 08-03-2011, 01:11 AM

Hi JC,

will this firmware update also work for PT HD8 users? I am not able to run the latest euControl and firmware with my PT rig.

MC Control+Mix (euphonix, not Avid)
displays flickering
fader noise

Mac OS 10.6.5
PT HD 8.04cs2
EuControl 2.5.4 (shipped)
firmware 1.1.11
Old 08-03-2011, 03:49 AM

I'm eager after the new firmware
Old 08-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaioflex View Post
Hi JC,

will this firmware update also work for PT HD8 users? I am not able to run the latest euControl and firmware with my PT rig.

MC Control+Mix (euphonix, not Avid)
displays flickering
fader noise

Mac OS 10.6.5
PT HD 8.04cs2
EuControl 2.5.4 (shipped)
firmware 1.1.11
Yeah, the HUI/Mackie control issue in 2.6 will be fixed in 2.6.1.

JC
Old 08-06-2011, 02:00 AM

I got a new Avid branded MC MIX yesterday and was very surprised by the buzz noise from the faders. Especially what seems to be a vibration at some still fader positions - as if it's drawn between two different close values, creating different buzz ( or berrrr, birrrr noises).

I have worked with several controllers and accept some fader motor noise, but this it not good.

So is this a firmware issue or should I bring it back for HW repair?

Btw can't register it on MySteinberg for use with Nuendo( serial n not recognized, but it works in PT9 and Sequoia..

Cheers,
Ola M
Old 08-06-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olamo View Post
I got a new Avid branded MC MIX yesterday and was very surprised by the buzz noise from the faders. Especially what seems to be a vibration at some still fader positions - as if it's drawn between two different close values, creating different buzz ( or berrrr, birrrr noises).

I have worked with several controllers and accept some fader motor noise, but this it not good.

So is this a firmware issue or should I bring it back for HW repair?
That sounds exactly like the problem that's hopefully fixed in a firmware update coming real soon now...

Quote:
Btw can't register it on MySteinberg for use with Nuendo
MySteinberg ? Shouldn't you register it on the Avid site ?

(I've never used Nuendo, but didn't know you had to register any hardware you use).
Old 08-06-2011, 06:49 AM

will the firmware address the myriad of kernel panics some of us get when trying to open sessions or bus a few tracks?

I had to hand out 3 hrs in comp time thanks to that one. I've seen it elsewhere on these forums. Try to bus some tracks to a new aux... BAM. Heck, yesterday, after trashing all prefs etc, it took me 2 hrs to punch in 4 words on a vocal track thanks to endless crashes...

I unplugged the MCMixes, all was fine. And yes I trashed all the Eucon stuff.

Is that being looked at? Or am I one of the only ones with this prob. This thing HAS to work 12-14 hrs minimum 6-7 days a week 365 for it to worth anything to me. I've had 2 MCMixes now about 2 weeks. I've had aprox 24 sessions in that time. All sessions that these were used on featured kernel panics, Pro Tools crashes and session corruption. The sessions that I had them unplugged for, things rolled as usual. Really disillusioned at this point.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO