Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-27-2010, 01:51 AM

Default Re: "Some regions had invalid bounds and were adjusted or deleted"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SessionKat View Post
All -

I'm worried that one report's symptom and its root cause is fanning other wildfires. As I sit here with 8.0.4, 8.0.3, and 8.0.1 trying to reproduce these loosely-described happenings I can only reproduce the original missing regions alert with 8.0.4.

As there are many (too many!) rules of association for temporal and permanent conditions for used/unused playlists, undo commands, record modes, and file management schemes, I find it wisest to furnish the simplest of session and step repro cases to improve the clarity hence resolution of any issues. This is not skepticism on my part, rather realism. I've been testing, fixing, debugging, designing and using Pro Tools for 15 years now and more than ever: the dirt is in the details.

I'm listening and hoping we can find simple repro cases which consistently exhibit any fundamental errors. Then we can investigate fixes.

Regards,

-tv
Tim
I have TRIED to reproduce this on a very simple session but it won't happen!!!! I can send you the session in my video if that helps.

I completely understand the video and my description is hardly evidence that will stand up in court!!!! I was hoping the video would show there is something funny going on though!

What I would say is that the two issues I've been having with the playlists have only been apparent since the "Some regions had invalid bounds and were adjusted or deleted" appeared in 8.0.4. I admit I'm putting two and two together and maybe coming up with five here!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:06 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Tim
I have TRIED to reproduce this on a very simple session but it won't happen!!!! I can send you the session in my video if that helps.

I like sessions! Audio shouldn't be needed...

tim [dot] vandenberg [at] avid [dot] com

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 07-27-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
The problem here has nothing to do with lost files - we know, as we already investigated what's causing it and it is only related to undo queues and regions that should not be in the session when you open it back up. What's happening is the audio files are not properly being removed upon session close - when you reopen the session, those files are being detected and THEN being removed, which is why you're getting the message. It's completely harmless - it in no way should affect any valid regions.
Really? I've been recording a band for months. After editing 75% of one of the songs, I got an access violation error and Pro Tools crashed. When I reopened that particular session, I got the "Some regions had invalid bounds and were adjusted or deleted" message. Not only have all the audio files disappeared from the session, but the 6 tracks for the vocals are gone as well.

This is absolutely unbelievable to me. It makes me sick to my stomach to think that it could be gone. It's getting sent out for mastering in two weeks. What am I supposed to do?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:43 PM

I can't even imagine being in your shoes machinist...I've been getting this message w/no missing audio, but it is concerning. Good luck!

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by themachinist View Post
Really? I've been recording a band for months. After editing 75% of one of the songs, I got an access violation error and Pro Tools crashed. When I reopened that particular session, I got the "Some regions had invalid bounds and were adjusted or deleted" message. Not only have all the audio files disappeared from the session, but the 6 tracks for the vocals are gone as well.

This is absolutely unbelievable to me. It makes me sick to my stomach to think that it could be gone. It's getting sent out for mastering in two weeks. What am I supposed to do?
An access violation during recording would indicate something else is wrong and contributed to the problem.

We need to make a distinction between a 'normally' functioning system that has this error and one that has an additional error that leads to getting this error. They can be very different.

Which version of Pro Tools are you running? An access violation can have many possible causes - incompatible plug-ins installed, drive error, etc.

The 6 tracks of vocals that are missing - were they recorded previous to the session that had the crash? When you say they're missing - are they gone from the Audio Files folder or does the session just say they're missing?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:07 PM

I've been having this problem since installing 8.0.4. almost every time I open a session I get the "some regions..." message. today I lost my first audio from this problem. The missing audio region in question still appears to be on the hard drive in the audio files folder, but its' icon is different in the finder (white icon with blue musical note instead of the black icon with grey note like all the other regions) and pro tools cannot find or import the file. when trying to use "import audio" to bring the file back into the session none of the info for the audio file type/length/etc will appear when selecting that region. it's as if pro tools doesn't think it's an audio file.

Mac Pro 8 core - OS10.6.3
PT LE 8.0.4 with CPTK
DIGI 003
recent clean install of OS and software. all installation and compatibility per Digi recommendations.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:28 PM

I just finished a classical recording session. These recordings have no plugs, no effects, just hit record. 16 tracks, a couple of subgroups and a Master. The recording was made at 88.2kHz and 24 bits, recorded through an HD3 system, MacBook Pro 4,1 (early 2008) 2.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.6.4, PT HD 8.04 connected to cards via a Magma 4 slot chassis and clocked from an Apogee. Some takes were undone while recording (using the command-z keyboard shortcut), but that was the extent of any processing or editing involved.

I had never had a problem with this setup until I upgraded to 8.04. Now, when I got back at the studio, running from the same system, without any processing, just opening the session just recorded, yields the "Some regions had invalid bounds and were adjusted or deleted" error. I came to the DUC and read through the threads, and since I had no missing files, and DigiTech support kept saying there was no problem with missing files, I assumed I would wait for a fix in the near future.

Today, I opened one of those sessions and found that one of the files of one of the takes in one of the tracks was not recognized, as the previous poster mentioned. The file is in the hard drive but has a different icon and is not recognized as a file ProTools can play. Getting info on the file in question, tells me that it is still seen as a Wave file, the size is the correct size, but now it states it is to be open with iTunes. However, a quicklook on the file on trying to open it up in iTunes is impossible. It won't play at all, or even load properly since it will not display the length of the file in Quicktime or iTunes. I tried opening it up with Peak Pro XT v6 and no luck. I also tried importing it to Sound Devices' Wave Agent, but no luck either. It won't load. I tried opening it up in other software with the same result. Finally I tried Praat, software for speech analysis and it gave me some information via the error it reported. It stated "File too small: expected 85466374 bytes, but found 11712837". It seems to me that something in the header of the file has been corrupted. I don't remember if after or before this particular take there was a take undone, unfortunately. I just hope that it is just the header and not the actual data!

I already tried repairing permissions, and checking the hard drive, but no change....

An Update: I tried opening the file with SoundHack to see if I could repair the header, but to my surprise, the file won't open in SoundHack. I think this is one of the few times that a file doesn't appear in SoundHack to be repaired. I will keep trying and report back.

Update 2: I just used Backline software to try to repair the file. Here is what it found:

"A problem was found with the audio file
A chunk was found with an invalid name.

Chunk names can only contain printable characters. One was found with the name '⁄™'. This usually means the chunk previous to this has an invalid length.

Treatments:
Description: The audio file will be truncated at the end of the last valid chunk.
Prognosis: Fair
Description: The last valid chunk will be extended to the end of the file.
Prognosis: Fair"

Upon trying to repair it fails. I hope this helps DigiTech support to troubleshoot this, and hopefully there is a way to recover the data...
Old 07-28-2010, 02:53 PM

yeah, they call this "harmless"
but it isn't. I too have had this cause some corrupted files that totally f up a session--its happened twice so far.
But i have since gone back to my 7.3 rig until they figure this crap out.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:55 PM

The plot seems to be thickening.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by themachinist View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWSPHX View Post
yeah, they call this "harmless"
but it isn't. I too have had this cause some corrupted files that totally f up a session--its happened twice so far.
But i have since gone back to my 7.3 rig until they figure this crap out.
All,

I've diligently and respectfully tried to impart clarity during an investigation on the missing regions alert issue and still stand steadfast in my declaration that it in of itself is a distinct bug which does not contribute to causing files to get lost or damaged....

Missing audio files, record takes, systems running like crap, access violations are problems of an extreme nature are most certainly different anomalies and are best served apart from this missing alert thread.

I've received sessions from some of you and am already learning that some of the peripheral issues posted in here are:
  • Not tied to the missing regions alert
  • Are not dependent on PT 8.0.4

I implore you for your own success and our ability to help to separate and clarify problem reporting instead of one contained wildfire into many brush fires.

Stay well,

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."