Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-28-2010, 04:10 AM

Default PT LE 8.0.3 Woes - Help!

Hi, I have been unable to resolve the issues with my PT LE 8.0.3 installation (MBP, 2.4. Gz, 4 Gb Ram, Snow Leopard, Digi 002, WD 1Tb My Book Firewire drive).

- It will record audio OK, and playback, but with:
- Continual Access Violations
- Crashing at random (cannot see a pattern), however nearly always crashes as soon as I add a new Master Fader track.
- AIR plugins (MiniGrand, Boom, and others) cause PT to hang. (I have noted the air.db file is not being created -- should it be?)

I have clean reinstalled PT LE 8.03, repaired permissions, used the Helper Application to trash preferences, volumes, dbs, etc. I have tried it with TimeMachine off, AirPort off, but no difference.

I am unable to reformat the drive and reinstall Snow Leopard as the MBP is not dedicated to PT, and too many other applications are installed (including VMWare with Win XP), used for my media business. It would take several days to reinstall, which I am unable to do at present.

What shall I do next? Is there any professional help available who can resolve this issue? I am in Brisbane.

Is anyone able to understand error logs --- if not, what purpose are they in resolving issues?

Would be VERY grateful if you have any more suggestions. Tearing my hair out. I have had this problem since purchasing the MBP in November. PT is unusable.

thanks,
Geoff
Old 01-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Default Re: PT LE 8.0.3 Woes - Help!

Have you looked at this? http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=54888
Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoduati View Post
I am unable to reformat the drive and reinstall Snow Leopard as the MBP is not dedicated to PT, and too many other applications are installed (including VMWare with Win XP), used for my media business. It would take several days to reinstall, which I am unable to do at present.
You can back up your system drive to your external hard drive (with the free Carbon Copy Cloner -- http://www.bombich.com/ -- or other such program; I believe Time Machine'll work as well), then erase your system drive and do a "clean" install of Snow Leopard. If anything goes wrong for any reason, you've always got your previous system drive to fall back on.
At the end of the install, there's a prompt that allows you to import all your old applications and settings onto your newly formatted system drive, then do a clean re-install of Pro Tools 8.0.3. I went that route, & it worked great ! Took a few hours.
Here's a step-by-step tutorial I used: http://blog.jeff-owens.com/mac-osx/s...tall-tutorial/ . Don't forget to repair disk permissions afterward.
Don't know if this could solve all your problems, but many PT users strongly recommend clean installs of new or updated operating systems.
Otherwise, the best advice is to make sure you've gone through all the steps in the troubleshooting sticky, in particular making sure all plug-ins are compatible. Good luck

-------------------------------------------

'Wave of the future, Dude. One hundred percent electronic.' -- J. Treehorn
Old 01-28-2010, 05:16 PM

Thanks for that, very helpful. I may have to give it a try. Yes, I believe I had gone through every step... tried to examine all my plug-ins for compatibility. I even removed all my plugins and still had the same errors.

I have an album project half done on PT, and I dread throwing it all away, but if PT is so unstable I have few other choices but to consider moving to Logic.

Thanks again for the suggestion. Just got to find 2 days to do it.
Geoff
Old 01-28-2010, 05:21 PM

sounds like the 002 and the firewire hard drive on the same bus is the problem
Old 01-28-2010, 05:23 PM

How do I connect them separately on a MacBook Pro? There is only one Firewire port.

Thanks for the idea,
Geoff
Old 01-28-2010, 05:46 PM

Does anyone out there know if having VMWare fusion installed on your Mac causes issues with ProTools Le 8 (w/ SnowLeopard) (even if VMWare is not running)?

Thanks,
Geoff
Old 01-28-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
How do I connect them separately on a MacBook Pro? There is only one Firewire port.

Thanks for the idea,
Geoff
It's OK to daisy-chain 'em; I assume that's what you've been doing? You've got one of the recent MBP's with a single FW800 port?

From Digidesign Support & Downloads web page:
Quote:
Configuring Newer Mac Models with FireWire 800 Ports

MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac mini FW800 Models

The FireWire 800 ports on these computers are backwards compatible with FireWire 400 devices, but require one of the following configuration options:
1) FW800 port —> FW800 Drive (912 or 924 chipset) —> Out FW400 port on Drive —> Pro Tools LE FireWire audio interface

2) FW800 port —> FW800 to FW400 converter cable —> FW400 Drive (911 chipset) —> Multiple FW400 Drives (911 chipset) as needed for maximum track count —> Pro Tools LE FireWire audio interface
Your hard drive is definitely fast enough & otherwise compatible with Pro Tools?

-------------------------------------------

'Wave of the future, Dude. One hundred percent electronic.' -- J. Treehorn
Old 01-28-2010, 06:55 PM

Yes, I have them daisy chained. The drive appears to be good ... It's a new WD "My Book, Studio Edition" - 1 TB, Firewire 400/800 (partitioned 50/50 between a TimeMachine and a file drive.) RPM are not indicated on the box, but a search around the web showed it to be a 7200rpm drive. The slogan "Put Your Life on It" sounds reassuring ;-)

It doesn't seem to have an IN and an OUT, just two Firewire ports on the back (+eSata and USB -- both unused). I have tried it both ways (MBP IN at top, 002 OUT at bottom, and vice versa). Same errors.

I don't have a converter cable to try that.

Geoff

BTW - Yes it's a new MBP.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have them daisy chained. The drive appears to be good ... It's a new WD "My Book, Studio Edition" - 1 TB, Firewire 400/800 (partitioned 50/50 between a TimeMachine and a file drive.) RPM are not indicated on the box, but a search around the web showed it to be a 7200rpm drive. The slogan "Put Your Life on It" sounds reassuring ;-)

It doesn't seem to have an IN and an OUT, just two Firewire ports on the back (+eSata and USB -- both unused). I have tried it both ways (MBP IN at top, 002 OUT at bottom, and vice versa). Same errors.

I don't have a converter cable to try that.

Geoff

BTW - Yes it's a new MBP.

There is no "in" or "out" for FW chaining, it's the same either way.

I'm still shaking my head at Apple for removing the 400 from the MBP.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515