Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-03-2009, 12:52 PM

Default voice over sessions done remotely-percent?

I'm a voice over talent. I have a modest, but pro level home studio. One of the next major purchases I'm considering is an "ISDN Box" and ISDN line. Doing so would be a large step because I just went into business for myself, and have spent most of my money on the studio.

I know having an ISDN box isn't a MUST, but I'm wondering if it would help create opportunities for work for a good/average voice talent.

Studio guys: What percent of your sessions are done with the talent off site, EVEN if they're within a reasonable driving distance?

V/O guys with a box: Has the box helped usher in opportunities for work?

Both: Is there any market advantage to a "average" (therefore reasonably priced) voice talent who has the ability to do phone sessions?

Bottom line: Is it an expense that would help a good/average v/o talent?

THANK YOU!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Default Re: voice over sessions done remotely-percent?

I would consider Source Connect before ISDN.
ISDN is an expensive thing to have lying around if you're not using it regularly. The connection rates are high too. (at least here in NZ)
A few voice artists went with Source Connect and they are happy.
Check it out:
http://www.sourceelements.com/
Old 03-03-2009, 05:54 PM

While ISDN is expensive to get into, it may be a very worthwhile investment. In addition, you should also consider getting source connect. Both technologies will expand and diversify your client base. Many of the VO talent that I work with have ISDN for remote sessions and also drive to a local studio for sessions with clients.

I have seen very good deals on ISDN codecs on Ebay. I have seen Primas and Zephyrs go for as little as $900.

Roy Machado
Dallas Audio Post Group
Old 03-04-2009, 01:44 AM

It depends on where you live. I believe Source Connect is fairly well spread in the USA, while in Europe my advise would go towards ISDN.

On the other hand, we (location Germany) record quite a lot via ISDN. But we ask the vocal talents to go to a studio near to where they are and then make an ISDN-connection to that studio. Only a few known vocal talents own their own studio and ISDN equipment. Obviously the fee is cheaper for clients if you offer your own studio and ISDN connection, but then again, you need to be a fairly well known vocal talent to get jobs that way.

Just my perspective.
Timothy
Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 AM

I would go with Source Connect for a number of reasons:

1) It sounds SOOOOO much better than ISDN - and has some new genius features where if your connection has any drop out, then your remote end will be automatically sent the correct audio or ftp'd the entire session audio without you doing a thing
2) Latency Is FAR lower - I have run bi directional stereo sessions at 320kbps with Andy at Buzzy's Recording in LA to me in Twickenham with perfect sync - merrily controlling each other's timelines.
3) You get the best of both worlds by connecting to either source connect users or to ISDN via a bridging service
4) NO running costs - compare that to ISDN over the pond!
5) You can do sessions to picture remotely if you have PTools and they ftp you the session - perfectly in sync with near instantaneous lock up - try that with ISDN
6 SC has no installation costs compared to ISDN - just need good internet

Compelling enough?

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer

BAFTA member
IPS member

former Post Production Expert at www.pro-tools-expert.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 03-04-2009, 03:30 PM

ok.... thanks so far.

Any voice over people or studio engineers care to comment on my questions?

Thank You!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:57 AM

I wouldn't rule out ISDN yet. My studio services ad clients in a medium-sized market, and I'm on a call list with NPR Washington and BBC.

The ad clients hire out-of-market talent probably eighty percent of the time, and without ISDN, I wouldn't have their business.

The NPR/BBC calls are pretty random, but the same applies - no ISDN, no business.

ISDN is still just about everywhere. You can indeed find used codecs for relatively low bucks, and depending on where you are, one short session a month will pay for your lines.

I'll be looking at Source Connect when/if I get faster internet service.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:30 PM

I use isdn DAILY to connect with my talent all over the world.
I highly recommend it. Cuts out travel time, and (Los Angeles) traffic issues.
Some of my talent is down the street, and some are in different countries.

I have tried Source Connect, but without dedicated lines for it, it often breaks up. Although I hear people have great success with it.

my 2.

http://www.studiocenter.com
Old 03-05-2009, 06:43 PM

Ditto what Bryan said... (are we related?)

I've had ISDN in the studio for quite some time and it's been a good thing. BBC and NPR East & West are clients, as well as the fact that I live in a tourist town, so I frequently get calls from Talent looking for a booth with ISDN.

I've TRIED Source Connect and frankly, have found it lacking. Your milage may vary. ISDN is pretty rugged, dead quick to connect, and pretty ubiquitous for most studios and most in home voice over talents. When I deal with talents who have their own home setup, it's mostly ISDN by a long shot.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 PM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Please keep those cards and letters coming.... and the replies to the post!

Please jump in....!