Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-15-2008, 05:40 AM

Default Drum Editing

Hi,

I have just started my first major drum editing job (for a self produced album) Im completely new to the idea of drum editing and would love any tips tricks people use.

So far all i really do is align kick and snares with the click..and put crossfades in to smooth them over. What other tools can i use? are there any tools that lengthen a drums hit? or shorten?

Also as far as spill goes is it beneficial to edit out all the spills manually or use strip silence. For some tracks i can use a gate...but for others i need to isolate the tom hit and use gain to get a decent level.

Any tricks/tools in this area would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Luke K
Old 08-15-2008, 06:03 AM

Default DigiDesign TV

DigiDesign TV have some good tricks on drumediting.
It's under the section of ProTools 7.4 (chapter 6,7 and 8).

God luck!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:06 AM

Make an edit group and edit all drum tracks together to avoid phase issues. The only tracks I sometimes edit out spill from are the toms. I'm not too fond of how the tom mics affects the snare sound, so I use gates or edit the tom regions manually with tab to transient.

The transient designer from Sonalksis is capable of changing the attack, length and timbre of drums. It's included with Superior 2.0 from Toontrack. Don't know if it's available separately.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
DigiDesign TV have some good tricks on drumediting.
It's under the section of ProTools 7.4 (chapter 6,7 and 8).

God luck!

Wow never heard of didgidesign tv before..looks great...thanks!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
Make an edit group and edit all drum tracks together to avoid phase issues. The only tracks I sometimes edit out spill from are the toms. I'm not too fond of how the tom mics affects the snare sound, so I use gates or edit the tom regions manually with tab to transient.

The transient designer from Sonalksis is capable of changing the attack, length and timbre of drums. It's included with Superior 2.0 from Toontrack. Don't know if it's available separately.
Yeah i am editing drums in group apart from when it comes to toms and their gain issues.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:03 AM

I use gates on on all toms, snares, and a little on the kicks. Compression, EQ, Reverb everything etc... pretty much on all drum tracks.

Trust your ears!
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub
Old 08-15-2008, 07:08 AM

The way I do it is edit all the spills manually out the toms that way I can really make the toms sing...I carry them a little farther than the next hit & put slight fades on them...I mix mostly gospel records in that manner as well as some pop records...Still, as someone stated, its just whateva sounds best to u...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 08-15-2008, 09:55 PM

Which version of PT are you using?

If you're on 7.4, then you can use Elastic Time, which is freaking amazing! There are excellent tutorials on Digidesign's website for using it. Elastic Time has more than halved my drum editing time-debt in PTLE, and it sounds pretty damn good, especially considering the amount of adjustment that you can do with it. Take a day and learn it! It will save you days of work in the future, I promise.

Otherwise, group all of the drum tracks so that you edit them all together to maintain phase coherency between mics, as already stated. PT's native gate plug-in is nice for suppressing tom-tom ring. Use the "range" and "ratio" knobs to taste, as sometimes I find that completely eliminating that bleed (via strip silence or the like) kind of melts the "glue" in a whole kit sound. Unless, of course, you're going for that close-mic, separated sound.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawn View Post
Which version of PT are you using?

If you're on 7.4, then you can use Elastic Time, which is freaking amazing! There are excellent tutorials on Digidesign's website for using it. Elastic Time has more than halved my drum editing time-debt in PTLE, and it sounds pretty damn good, especially considering the amount of adjustment that you can do with it. Take a day and learn it! It will save you days of work in the future, I promise.

Otherwise, group all of the drum tracks so that you edit them all together to maintain phase coherency between mics, as already stated. PT's native gate plug-in is nice for suppressing tom-tom ring. Use the "range" and "ratio" knobs to taste, as sometimes I find that completely eliminating that bleed (via strip silence or the like) kind of melts the "glue" in a whole kit sound. Unless, of course, you're going for that close-mic, separated sound.
Im using 7.3 I didnt think to upgrade as it only seemed like 7.4 had good video upgrades. So its worth it for drum editing? and its just a download update right?