Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 05-21-2006, 09:44 PM

Default Help converting NIN Digidesign sessions into PT4.3

Hello out there. I've been at it again in my basement lab. I've been on an old NUBUS kick lately and my latest project is compiling everything I can get my hands on that will work with the NUBUS PowerMac and 68K macs Digidesign wise.

I'm about done with that project and was even able to get the newer ProTools Free SoundCheck Session to play on the old mac with TDM setup. It's a Radius 81/110 system.

I was out playing on the web and came across the GarageBand releases by NIN (Nine Inch Nails) of a few of their songs. Then I found they released a full Pro Tools session as well. I've downloaded the PC and Mac versions and NOTHING I have will open either version. I am guessing they used something that is above PT 5.0 as far as format.

My question then is would anyone out here be willing to attempt to save that session as either a ProTools 5.0 session, or 4.3 session TDM or not is fine. I have both, but nothing newer and nothing I have seems to be able to read the session.

I will probably break down and hand build the session myself in 4.3 TDM but if someone can convert it, that would be the best!!!!!

Thanks for everything, I usually try to give back to the group as I learn things.

Here's my learning bit for this time.

Believe it or not: Protools MAC 2.03 WILL work with DAE Powermix 1.13 !!!!! Use DAE/DSI 3.4.2 Strange but true! You need Mac OS 7.6.1 and the OpenTransport updates and most everything works.

ppuskari2
Old 06-02-2006, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Help converting NIN Digidesign sessions into PT4.3

Anyone out there with any of the newer ProTools apps that can read this session and output either the old style 5.0 session format or the 4.x format?

On other news, I have been able to create the 4.3 version of the session with all the audio samples included and the master mix tracks saved to track 1 and 2. With some added TDM inserts, it sounds great. I like the added bass

I would LOVE to see what the original layout was and any inserts they put in by default. Especially if anyone can provide those and the fade file settings and even what was on each track they assigned would be great.

I know I am shooting in the dark, but someone must have a version that can convert the sessions. Would have been nice if PTFree could have been used by NIN and Digidesign to output a format of this. The other formats on the site all point to the demo versions for other apps that one can download and get a taste of the files. Alas though you can't just convert from SoundForge to ProTools though!

Thanks for everyone's help on this project. If I get it done, I'll see if the powers that be would allow it to be distributed with the rest of the versions out there.

ppuskari2
Old 06-05-2006, 08:01 AM

email me directly and i will help you out with this, i suuport your venture. i still rock my 8600 that was on a TDM system for 10 years! just in the last year we switched it over to a G4 (now the B room), only by force. now it still lives but only as a mezzo restore station. man was that a stable system. anyhoo, just send me the session file and i will convert it for ya.

Pro Tools HD on PC
Pro Tools LE on Mac G5 and MacBook Pro
Old 06-09-2006, 01:53 PM

Well unless I am missing something excruciatingly basic here. I can't seem to find anyones email addresses so to the nice guy that offered to help me out. Here's my email address obfuscated so the spammers don't nail it too bad.

ppuskariATAThotmailDOTDOTcom

This is going to be great to have a 4.x session built out of the NIN sessions. I suppose someday soon, I'll have to buy an old DIGI001 or something to get to the "next" level up from my NUBUS rig.

ppuskari2