Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-12-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Mastering: PT or Wavelab?

Hi all, well i need a good mastering program, can anyone help? im looking at Wavelab5 but if someone can convince me to stay in PT to do so then just tell me how

I got WAVES plugins and been using the L2 ultramaximizer on the master fader of my sessions but i still cant get the right volume compared to ohter music i been hearing. unless im doing something wrong? another thing that i have noticed is that my mixes sound so nice and crisp everyhting sitting in the mix properly but yet wen i transfer the file to my other computer usuing the same speakers just going through windows media player thats the only difference.

Any suggestions anyone?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Mastering: PT or Wavelab?

As much as i try to get the Waves L2/L3 to make my stuff louder... I can always import it into WaveLab to make it even louder.. I woudl suggest mixing your tracks comfortably without trying to put the volume too much inside of Protools.(that way you know noting is going to peek or crackle on the bounce down). Then import it into Wavelab and use its tools to "master/bring to volume". With PTLE i tend to get my mixes about -8db rms.. and with Wavelab i can get it to -6 with no problem and no dynamic changing. In PTLE if you push too hard on that WAVEs plugin it will destroy the mix and the dynamics...

When you are doing a final mix i woudl suggest just putting the L2/L3 on.. but it at 0.0 with no dither. Then do your mix how you want.. comfortable... then bounce and inport it to WaveLab and finish it off... Make sure you dont' try to get it loud in PTLE and then ry again in WaveLab becasue it will sound pretty squashed. Make sure you bounce your mix to its native bitrate and everythign too becsaue you cna dither in Wavelabs... And I suggest NOT fading at the end of yrou songs if you are planning on it since WaveLabs has that tool and it sounds great.

I dont' know if what i say here is the "Best" way to do it.. but it works well and it will get your mixes loud and sounding pretty decent. ANd you should be able to consistantly get your music to be at about -7 with no problem if you knwo what your doing... I'm not sure what the "industry standard" is for musical RMS but every song that i've inported into Wavelabs that are professionally done songs are all around -8 to -7 so i'm sure you'll be right up there in volume with out a problem.

It takes a little bit to figure out the best way to work the program but if you want help I'd be happy to help. Cya

Jonny

Jonny
Old 10-12-2005, 07:36 AM

Wavelab vs. Pro Tools...neither will get something any louder than the other, so choose the one that offers you the most versatility and greatest workflow for mastering. For most, that would be Pro Tools, b/c it has busses, routing, the ability to insert outboard gear, etc. Use wavelab for disc authoring, it's phenomenally good for that.

Quote:
I got WAVES plugins and been using the L2 ultramaximizer on the master fader of my sessions but i still cant get the right volume compared to ohter music i been hearing.
What other music? Why loud? There's good 'loud' and bad 'loud'...and in both cases, much more than a simple limiter is required to get you there as transparently as possible.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:29 AM

I always master in WaveLab although it does have its quirks.
Like Chris said, the CD authoring tool is great as well but you can get CD architect for less if that's your only reason for getting WaveLab.
I just prefer WaveLab because of its 8 possible inserts at a given time and it renders faster than real time. Plus it's got some great analizing tools both real-time visual and numerical analysis.
It also has tons of file format options and VST/DIRECTX support, unlike PTLE.
Just my opinion, but if you've got the money, WaveLab is a good product (or if you have less money, WaveLab Essentials is only $100).
But mastering in PT will work just fine, just a slightly different way of working and if you're already used to it, not much reason to change I wouldn't think.

I always find myself reaching for Waves C4 and L1 when mastering and also Classic EQ (just out of habit I guess) in WaveLab (I don't think Classic EQ comes in RTAS).

Rock on

Ben