Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 AM

Unhappy DigiTest shows empty expansion chassis

Configuration
· Quadra 650 with 68040 processor at 33 MHz
· OS 7.6.1
· 888 I/O Audio Interface, Digidesign 13-slot Nubus Expansion Chassis containing (from left to right looking from front):
1. disk I/O
2. farm card
3. farm card
4. farm card
5. samplecell II
· all connected with 5-node TDM ribbon.
· Pro Tools version v4.0.1 with OMS v2.3.8 & StudioVision Fat v4.2.3
· Amount of RAM installed 88 MB
· Peripherals Opcode Studio 5LX MIDI interface using both modem and printer ports,
· Drives: APS SCSI CD-RW CRD-R800S drive and Apple 2110-Q 2GB SCSI are daisy-chained to Mac. Seagate ST32550N 2GB SCSI (named Disk 2090) is connected to the Disk I/O card.
Problem:
While trying to install a MacProteus and Kensington trackball, I seem to have broken my PTIII. When I try to run ProTools, I get the message: “Digidesign hardware is either not installed or in use by another application.” When I run DigiTest, I see the graphics for an empty expansion chassis. DigiTest says all slots are empty except the EC interface in Q650 slot E which passed all tests. During bootup, when the extension icons are revealed, first I get the expansion chassis icon on the far lower left. And then the Digidesign extension icon shows up, but doesn’t show a drive symbol like it used to. The disk I/O drive (Disk 2090) doesn’t mount nor appear on the finder desktop like it used to.
Troubleshooting (part 1):
The only other time I have seen this symptom was when I unwisely changed 2 things at once:
1) I changed the last 4 slot ID switches to 1-8, A-D, like the Quadra 900/950 configuration on the E.C. lid label (I don’t remember the previous ID’s on the last 4 slots. They seemed random).
2) I put a Mac Proteus in (new) slot C

Then DigiTest showed an empty expansion chassis.
After I removed the MacProteus things went back to normal but I wonder if I made the system unstable because a couple of weeks later while trying to install a trackball, it wouldn’t boot up anymore. I had to do a clean system install and then ran into my Pro Tools hardware fault message when reinstalling v4.0.1.
I changed the 9th slot ID to “D” as shown on the inside of the E.C. lid for Quadra 700. I turned it on, and saw lights lit up solid on all but farm cards. The farm cards were just intermittent. Nothing was connected to the E.C.
I connected both Q650 and E.C. with their lids removed. Disk I/O had 3 green LED’s lit up. SCII had one red LED. DigiTest says all slots are empty except the EC interface in Q650 slot E which passed all tests.
To recap, here’s the history of E.C. ID slot settings (b, c, and d didn’t work):
a. 12345678XXXX (this worked, but I didn’t document the last 4 slots so they’re unknown)
b. 12345678ABCD (per E.C. lid label for Q900/950 & per DigiTest graphic for Q650)
c. 12345678DBCD (per E.C. lid label for Q700)
d. 12345678DBCE (to avoid duplicating slot ID “D”)
Troubleshooting (part 2):
I chose 3 cards to move over to Q650 chassis. Results: 4 green LEDs on Disk I/O, but DigiTest said the DSP Farm cards need to be in lower slots than SCII cards. DigiTest Test All results: SCII (slot C) passed, DSP farm (slot D) passed, Disk I/O (slot E) failed test 120.
I swapped the DSP Farm and the SDII. I got the message that Disk I/O cards should be placed in lower slots than SCII cards. DigiTest Test All results: DSP farm (slot C) failed test 135, SCII (slot D) passed, Disk I/O (slot E) failed test 120
I rearranged cards again. I got no error message. DigiTest Test All results: Disk I/O (slot C) failed test 120, DSP farm (slot D) failed test 135, SCII (slot E) passed. Pro Tools starts up now, but projects won’t playback.
I reversed the TDM ribbon and got the same results.
Conclusions:
At first I suspected that I had mis-set the slot ID’s in the E.C. But now that I see errors on my main 3 cards when installed on the Mac motherboard, I’m afraid I damaged them when making them cohabit with the MacProteus in the E.C. Or maybe I hurt the Q650 motherboard, but MIDI sequencing and other functions still work fine. I wish I knew what it means to fail DigiTests 120 and 135. I also wish I knew the correct ID slot settings for using a Nubus expansion chassis with a Quadra 650. Can anyone help me diagnose my problem(s)?
I have 2 more desperate ideas: try to put all cards back into E.C., but put E.C. interface card in the slots D or C of Q650 rather than E. If that doesn’t work, revert back to my 442 I/O and the old version of PT & DAE. It’s sad to go from 16 tracks to 4, but better than nothing. Thanks very very much for any help you can offer.
Bruce Parsons
Old 01-04-2011, 12:09 PM

Default Re: DigiTest shows empty expansion chassis

I forgot to say, one of the first things I tried was to disconnect the 2-gig drive (Disk 2090) from the Disk I/O card and connect it directly to the Q650. It mounted fine and all files were visible. Thanks again, Bruce
Old 01-05-2011, 10:16 PM

I remember having my NuVerb cards disappear when I installed a Radius Precision Color card in my 8100 / Expansion Chassis way so long ago.
I don't have any of that stuff anymore so I can't give any tech advise other than to try a total system rebuild/reinstall.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:40 AM

Thanks for slogging through my long message. I appreciate your advice.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Smile Re: DigiTest shows empty expansion chassis

My thanks to milesofwire. After a clean install of system 7.6.1 and restoring PT v3.2, I finally got back to hardware. Once Q650 proved it could handle the SCII in slot E, I had confidence in the Q650 again. I turned my attention to the ECI ribbon cable. I disconnected and examined both ends. I disassembled and reassembled the end that mates with ECI card in Mac because insulation looked scratched. It probably didn't help that I was inserting ribbon connector backwards into ECI card. The little nib and notch go toward the outboard side of Quadra, so I felt pretty stupid. Then I found 2 bent pins touching each other in the ECI card connector which probably explains why DigiTest couldn't see it.
Then Digitest could see all 5 cards in expansion chassis. I guess the slot settings weren't that critical, because I left them in 12345678BCDE, even though DigiTest showed 12345678ABCD. PTv3.2 has been fine for a couple of weeks. After all this trauma, I'm amazed that Digidesign created such a complex distributed system that still works after about 17 years and has survived my abuse. It sure "takes a licking and keeps on ticking".
Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 PM

Your welcome, glad it worked out, I forgot about that ribbon cable!
Yeah, I had the great idea to completely pack my expansion chassis to the maximum it could be.
The horror, the horror....
(Apocalypse Now reference)

I still miss those NuVerb cards though.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:05 AM

Wow, if I tried to fill it up, I sure couldn't be so cavalier about the slot settings. At the moment I'm afraid to open anything up again. The old friend who sold me the expansion chassis used to have a NuVerb card in there. When you're up against the wall with an old ProTools system, it sure is scary - so many things could go wrong. And it's like Christmas morning to get it back again after a year! Take care.