Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-14-2010, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Pt8 midi issues??

Well, if you have your processors set at 2, then you didn't read http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=227746 and follow the instructions...

I can't say why your FW chain is throwing those errors, but seeing as how when you connect via the method Digi recommends you get major errors, then I would say you have a big problem.. Like I said, you risk losing the entire contents of your FW HD if you connect it after the 003. You have been warned..

For the sake of argument, try to make a new session and leave your FW HD disconnected. Record the session on the system drive... You don't actually have to record any audio, just try to get Xpand working.

Many people work with small sessions recording only to their system drives and they don't experience serious errors... It is more of a performance limitation than a show-stopping error thing. For the purpose of testing your Digidesign VIs you should be able to get it to work..

You can still D/L the 10.5.8 COMBO updater and apply it... It is worth a try and would help bring you into compliance with Digi's recommendations/requirements..

As far as the "VST"s are concerned, I'm just saying that you are using the term VST (to mean any Virtual Instrument plugin) more loosely than is really correct.. Just tweaking you a bit on that... Not all VIs are VSTs
Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 PM

HI, yeh i did read the thing about processors, but in my ignorance I assumed since I only have 2 & not 8 processors that it would be silly to switch it down to 1.. Perhaps I am wrong on that.

Also I called the company I bought the 003 from to ask them about this issue of the crashes when I have my firewire drive connected between my mac & the 003 & they recommended that i set it up with the drive at the end of the signal chain. & this is a VERY reputable dealer of Digi products.
SO, i have plugged it back in the (wrong) way around & now it works again without issue..

&&& for some reason at least for the time being my VI's seem to be working, Now i havent downloaded the combo updater, but probably should, however since everything seems to be working maybe I'll just leave things as they are.

The final option i suppose is to update to snow leopard & thus 8.0.3cs2
Old 04-14-2010, 06:59 PM

BTW do u think having low latency monitoring switched on could cause a VI to crash pro-tools?

Oh & thanks for the heads up on VSTs vs. VIs.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:20 PM

Have you deleted preferences & databases (including the MIDI ones) as per the troubleshooting-thread instructions? I've found that getting rid of the MIDI "plist" files can cure oddness that sometimes crops up with recording VIs.

You can download and use this great little app to automatically root out and trash the stuff:

http://www.jcdeshaies.com/

-------------------------------------------

'Wave of the future, Dude. One hundred percent electronic.' -- J. Treehorn
Old 04-15-2010, 08:19 PM

No I havent done that mainly because whilst I understand that trashing preferences seems to be a normal fix for a number of issues within pro-tools I am not sure I fully understand what happens when you do it.. therefore I am hesitant to do it.. & certainly very hesitant to download a program which does it for me.

However I assume what happens (if you wish to do it manually) is that you throw them all out & they simply regenerate afresh when you next use pro-tools, thus resetting things.. would that be a simple summation?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:35 PM

Marvin, you are not following instructions very well...

The troubleshooting thread, posted by Digitech Support, explains how to trash the prefs and when to do it.

You have not gotten to the bottom of the disc connection problem which is preventing you from connecting in the manner that Digi says to connect. Instead you are connecting in a way that can cause irreparable damage to the discs files because it seems to be working.

You are assuming to not reduce you processor count per the VI performance thread, also posted by Digitech support, because of some reason you can't explain (it seems silly )

My point is that you have been given suggestions and instructions but you don't seems to want to follow any of them..

What is the incentive for people to continue to try to help? Your reluctance seems to come from a lack of understanding about these issues, but then why else are you here other than to get the information you lack?

I will say it again: go through the trouble shooting thread, item by item.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:52 PM

Indeed!
I will try the various options mentioned in the troubleshooting thread.
& if i can get my hands on another hard drive that works in the correct configuration I will certainly set mine up that way. To date i have tried 2 different drives & neither of them work in Digis recommended setup, but do at the end of signal chain... A little odd, but we'll see what happens.
thanks
Old 04-17-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the android View Post
I assume what happens (if you wish to do it manually) is that you throw them all out & they simply regenerate afresh when you next use pro-tools, thus resetting things.. would that be a simple summation?
Yeah, that's pretty much it. It really amounts to routine maintenance for Pro Tools (even if the reasons for having to do it seem kind of murky).

-------------------------------------------

'Wave of the future, Dude. One hundred percent electronic.' -- J. Treehorn