Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 AM

Default Itunes play out of Protools

I am looking for a way to be able to listen to music through itunes without having the have protools open. I dont want to set system pref to core audio because that slows video playback in protools. So looking for a way to get the sound through to my monitors without protools running. I have the my mac running through a optical cable to my 192 but still not getting sound, and have the system set for audio to send through the optical output. Thanks to anyone who can help me.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Itunes play out of Protools

Unless you specifically want the playback through the 192, and if you have at least a monitor controller with multiple inputs, you could use something like this.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:24 AM

Only way to output iTunes thru your Digidesign hardware is to have CoreAudio activated. It does not work standalone; the hardware goes to standby when Digi driver closes.

In other words, your Digidesign hardware is activated by Digidesign driver; that is, Protools software or CoreAudio.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:39 AM

Or this:
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._2031_35995431

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 01-05-2009, 11:10 AM

I have the optical outs of my Mac Pro running into the 192, and it works fine. Make sure that the Hareware setup has the optical ins selected, in my case they come into inputs 15-16. I also turn on the on-the-fly sample rate conversion in the Hardware setup. This is also useful for monitoring Soundminer or two-channel VI's without using Rewire.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDNYC View Post
I have the optical outs of my Mac Pro running into the 192, and it works fine. Make sure that the Hareware setup has the optical ins selected, in my case they come into inputs 15-16. I also turn on the on-the-fly sample rate conversion in the Hardware setup. This is also useful for monitoring Soundminer or two-channel VI's without using Rewire.
Ditto! works great for monitoring itunes/fine tunes/audacity/web audio/ everything mac coreaudio driven.

Just create an aux in your session and set the input to your optical digital channel as pre defined in your hardware setup and your i/o setup.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 AM

We should make a sticky for this.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDNYC View Post
I have the optical outs of my Mac Pro running into the 192, and it works fine.
Works beautifully. I have a track in my PT template called "Mac" which is always active (unless I'm bouncing, where the track is muted). Anything that plays out of the Mac pops up on this track while any PT session is open.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysyphus300021 View Post
I am looking for a way to be able to listen to music through itunes without having the have protools open. I dont want to set system pref to core audio because that slows video playback in protools. So looking for a way to get the sound through to my monitors without protools running. I have the my mac running through a optical cable to my 192 but still not getting sound, and have the system set for audio to send through the optical output. Thanks to anyone who can help me.
These are all great suggestions, but it seems that the OP would rather do it without having PT open for, for whatever reason.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:24 PM

I use a PreSonus Central Station for monitor control. In addition to its analog inputs the Central Station has an optical input in the back (as well as a SPDIF input). I run an optical cable from my MacPro to the Central Station. This allows me, at the push of a button, to hear iTunes and any other Mac generated sounds through my monitors independent of whether Core Audio or Pro Tools is running. I find it particularly useful for using iTunes to run reference tracks. It's a ~$600 box, but what is does is so essential to my workflow I consider it a bargain. You might consider checking into a Central Station or a similar monitor control product.