Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-08-2002, 02:08 PM

Default Fades versus Automation

Okay I have a convention comming up and I'm doing the musical opening at the reception/cocktail party.

I have my session laid out how I like it, but I'm a newbie to fades and automation.

Would it be better to automate my fader movements to bring tracks in and out as well as for pans or draw fades? I'm a ACID Pro guy who is desperately trying to work in a PRO TOOLS environment since I know it's for the best.

Any advice greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-08-2002, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Fades versus Automation

One of the main reasons (IMHO) for doing audio in the digital world is so you can use the automation features provided in PT. Once you master the automation recording it is a breeze. Try the manual to get started.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:48 PM

Fades are useful when you need a very smooth fade, especially a gradual one, and for crossfades, when you want one audio file or region to blend into another one. For ordinary mixing purposes, e.g. to bring tracks up or down or in and out of the mix, use automation.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:00 AM

Thanks all for the advice. I took a dive into creating groups last night and started to use the automation feature. Much easier than I originaly thought it would be.

I think automation will serve most of my needs with this project.

It's mostly sound effects (halloween theme) with an 8 track music mix. I'm doing alot of panning and bringing items in and out so automation seems to do the trick.

The grouping feature was a HUGE plus. I got a good mix of the 8 music tracks then grouped them so I could place them just above the effects bed I created. Very cool.

FYI, it's very hard to get a heartbeat loop to match a steady 4 on the floor kik beat. Thank goodness for lightening crashes, cymbals, and fade outs!

Happy mixing to all!!!
Old 10-09-2002, 07:18 AM

I think the main point of using fades versus automation is that it requires less dsp to use fades. I use fades when I can.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:25 AM

I don't think automation uses DSP...