How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2018, 08:47 AM

Default Various error messages

Hi All,

Brand new to Pro Tools - and I'm having some teething problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Firstly, you can see from my signature that I have quite a powerful computer (brand new custom build specifically to use PT2018.4), that should easily run my PT2018.4, and open all my projects with no problems.

However, nearly every time I open PT, it asks me to "activate", and then tells me "Could not complete your request because Assertion in "E:\Code\ 222370\ProTools\AAE\ Source\ AAX\ CFicAAXWidget.cpp", line 822.

I've attached a picture of the message (which took 20 minutes to upload - WTF?).

I looked around on the forum to find out about that, and discovered that holding down the letter N was a process that permitted PT to open further. Why does it not remember all this, each time I turn off the computer?

I then get a screen prompt saying there was no Playback Engine or Input Device and I have to tell it to select my Focusrite. Then things seem to get to a point where I can open a project...I don't have a picture currently of that screen... however, each time I restart my computer, I have to go through the above process again. Again, why does it not remember all this, each time I turn off the computer?

The second problem is that once I get through all the above, I go to open a project to start working on it, and it gives me this error message:

"This Project exceeds the supported track count. The following tracks will be deleted." It then lists all the tracks it wants to delete. For whatever reason, it is taking WAY TOO LONG to upload pictures, so the picture of the message is not included here. All the same, WTF?!?! Deleting tracks? That's not good, or reassuring! Also, these projects were recorded only a couple of months ago at a local highly respected studio, and the PT setup I bought is supposed to be as capable as theirs is. Why am I getting this problem, and how do I solve it? The projects are large, (rhythm section, 40 strings, brass, woodwinds, vocals, percussion, harp, solos overdubs etc.), so there are lots of tracks on each project. But the PT I purchased is supposed to be able to handle that.

The added bonus is that I'm a complete newbie in using this kind of software, and also a computer dunce - I just need things to work so I can use my ears! I am a quick study, but please forgive me if I ask silly questions that show my complete ignorance at how this stuff all works!

Please help! Thanks in advance!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT ERROR MESSAGE DURING BOOT SEQUENCE.jpg (46.6 KB, 0 views)

INTEL i7 - 8700 CPU @ 3.2 GHz
32 GB RAM
64 BIT OS
Windows 10
Pro Tools 2018.4
FOCUSRITE 6i6 interface

Last edited by RossWooldridge; 06-04-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Various error messages

Have you done ALL the Avid recommended optimizations? Have a look at this thread for even more.

Go to Control Panel>Sound and make sure your Focusrite is NOT the default for Windows sounds/audio. Set your onboard sound card as the default for Playback and Record and disable the Focusrite. And check those settings after any Windows update as some updates can switch the settings back to the Focusrite.

Unfortunately, Focusrite's Windows drivers can be flaky. Check with Focusrite support and their forum as there may be a beta driver that will work better or they may suggest using an older driver than the one you have.

Pro Tools' track limitation is dependent on the sample rate you're using:

44.1/48 = 128 tracks

96 = 64 tracks

192 = 32 tracks

HTH
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-04-2018, 09:39 AM

Thank you very much - I will give that a go and get back to you. I see you're also in my neck of the woods.

Cheers!

32 GB RAM
64 BIT OS
Windows 10
Pro Tools 2018.4
FOCUSRITE 6i6 interface
Old 06-04-2018, 09:54 AM

Not too far. I used to drive up to Brantford to work with ADS until they moved closer, near Hamilton.

I also replied to your other, duplicate post, which you should delete before the Mods do.
SonoBus
Old 06-04-2018, 10:28 AM

In addition to my first post. You're used to working by booking a studio and I have to assume they are using Pro Tools HD (now Ultimate) and sessions are running on DSP cards, making it easier to have high track counts with little to no issues. You have standard Pro Tools and that runs completely on your CPU. Yes, you have a new, powerful CPU and lots of RAM, but Pro Tools doesn't run Virtual Instruments as well as other programs do. Many users who do composition do one of three things. They either sequence in another program (Ableton Live or Cubase are cross platform, Logic on Mac for example), render out to audio and bring that into Pro Tools to mix, Rewire another program (Ableton Live or Reaper to name two) into Pro Tools, hosting their VIs there or use Vienna Ensemble Pro to host there VIs either on the same computer as Pro Tools or networked from another computer.

And, while not related to you track count issue, what Buffer setting you're using in Pro Tools will also have a bearing on performance. Normally you have the lowest Buffer possible for tracking and a 1024 Buffer for editing and mixing.

I'm certainly not going to try to dissuade you from using Pro Tools (I have over 17 years invested in it), but if you really don't need Pro Tools - I know you've already paid for it - have a close look at Reaper. It may do all you want and more with less grief.

Welcome to the world of doing it all yourself at home
SonoBus
Old 06-04-2018, 10:29 AM

A quick follow up Bruce:

This computer is brand new... so many of the optimization procedures are in place already - every step I have looked into has the choice as default that Avid's optimization list asks for.

As per your suggestions, in the computer itself, the default playback sound device for Windows is the Realtek High Definition Audio Default Device. On the Windows panel for Recording, it's default is the Focusrite.

Going into ProTools setup menu however, and I see the playback is set to Focusrite, which seems to allow ProTools to open OK, but if I change it as you've suggested to the Realtek ASIO, I get that error message: Assertion in "E:\Code\ 222370\ProTools\AAE\ Source\ AAX\ CFicAAXWidget.cpp", line 822.

If I tell it to use Windows Audio Device, I get a couple of strange things:

Firstly, I get no choices other than NONE for audio input device.

Secondly, if I switch the OUTPUT device to the Speakers (Realtek High Def), then I get other error messages regarding the playback engine:

Access violation occurred, unable to read location: 0x0000000000000000

If I switch things back to Playback being Windows Audio Device, then my only choice for Output Device is the Realtek Digital Output, and no choice other than NONE for Input Device.

If I switch the Playback engine to the Focusrite, all other choices disappear.

Interestingly, just now, I switched again to Playback Engine being Windows Audio Device, and then Output Device to Speakers (Realtek High Def) and no error message.

In terms of settings on that remainder of that page, H/W Buffer is set to the lowest, 256 samples (up to 1024 available), and Disk Playback cache size is set to Normal (range choices are Normal and then from 256 MB up to 28GB).

It says that lower values for the disk buffer reduce memory usage, higher values improve disk performance.

What do I need to do?

Thanks!

32 GB RAM
64 BIT OS
Windows 10
Pro Tools 2018.4
FOCUSRITE 6i6 interface
Old 06-04-2018, 10:36 AM

[QUOTE=The Weed;2490404]Have you done ALL the Avid recommended optimizations? Have a look at this thread for even more.

Go to Control Panel>Sound and make sure your Focusrite is NOT the default for Windows sounds/audio. Set your onboard sound card as the default for Playback and Record and disable the Focusrite. And check those settings after any Windows update as some updates can switch the settings back to the Focusrite.

Don't "disable" the focusrite, just make sure it is NOT default device in playback and recording tabs in Windows Sound control panel. It should still be "enabled".
Old 06-04-2018, 10:39 AM

Thanks Bruce,

I'm starting to lose my mind here - this is a huge investment for me, and if I've made a poor one I'll be really upset. I can't believe that this could be so challenging.

I was originally going to take this whole project that prompted this move to a home system to do the editing on my pal's Digital Performer system, but the number of tracks and playlists in the ProTools session (yes, HD/Ultimate) made it technically daunting, and it was suggested I just buy ProTools and learn to use it.

Hardee har har....

Further to this, there are no virtual instruments in my current projects - all real players making real sounds, so it was my understanding that I should have been OK, since I wasn't using any virtual instruments or midi, but that with smaller projects I could if I needed to. Typically though, I use real players.

The mods are already monitoring my previous reply to you, so I don't know if this will even get to you.

I wish I'd copied my other post that's being "checked", as it was quite detailed... I will try and remember what I wrote to you and try to repost it. I've fixed the double post on the Track Counts thread, so hopefully that will not be a problem.

32 GB RAM
64 BIT OS
Windows 10
Pro Tools 2018.4
FOCUSRITE 6i6 interface

Last edited by RossWooldridge; 06-04-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:43 AM

Hey 64GTOBOY, I've done what you suggested - will see what happens! Thanks.

I enabled the Recording side with the sound card, and Focusrite is sitting labelled "Ready" and not disabled.

32 GB RAM
64 BIT OS
Windows 10
Pro Tools 2018.4
FOCUSRITE 6i6 interface
Old 06-04-2018, 11:13 AM

Just an FYI, I have all channels of my RME interface disabled in both the Playback and Recording tabs in Control Panel>Sound and only my RealTek is set as the Default and I have no issues.

On Windows the problem is the interface's drivers. Some drivers, like my RME's, do allow the interface's use for Pro Tools and for Windows sounds/audio others don't. Best practice is not to use your interface, so I don't.

Going from having someone else doing everything for you to doing it all yourself isn't easy. Taking it one step at a time, one issue at a time is overwhelming enough. Once you get the Focusrite using Pro Tools with a simple one or two track session with a small piece of audio and no plug-ins, then you can move on to more complex sessions and finding out why you can't have as many tracks as you think you should. How many tracks in total are in the session you want to open?
SonoBus