Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Avid

Default Re: New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
Right.

I bought in April this year. 11.2 was released much later and caused a bunch of us -9173 problems with real time bounce. There are a handful of threads here at DUC about this and I started an Ideascale bug about it and there has been no response whatsoever. When I tried to use my "complimentary" ASC it comes back as expired and there is absolutely no way to contact support without paying. And because I bought HD I have the distinct joy of getting to pay double for the same problem happening to people running standard.
If you logged it on IdeaScale then it's on our radar, but I started a support case to get your info.

Regards,
JC
Old 11-03-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Looks like he did, but... I'm still here trying to help.

Regards,

JC

I appreciate it. I'm off to bed.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
If you logged it on IdeaScale then it's on our radar, but I started a support case to get your info.

Regards,
JC
Thanks for that!
Old 11-03-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
In answering your questions, my understanding, based on what Avid and Tony has said is ...

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. No, you must sign up to a support plan before the end of 2015. Otherwise, your existing perpetual licence will no longer be upgradable. You can carry on using it though. Should you subsequently decide you want a newer version, you'll have the choice of either buying a new perpetual licence at full price, or you'll have access to one or more other attractive licensing options, which seems to be code for 'you'll be able to rent a licence monthly or annually'.

Regarding the interaction between your questions 2 and 3 ... Among all the other things that remain unclear is this ...

Let's say you don't join the support plan yet, so you are using 11.2.1

In a few weeks, there may be a bug fix update, lets call it 11.3

After that, a new feature release is issued, only for people on support plans, call it 11.5

Then, after that, a bug fix release is issued, that fixes problems with the new feature that first was seen in 11.5, and also fixes long standing bugs that are in 11.3 and 11.5

Are Avid likely to issue several variants of bug fix releases? It seems unlikely, as over time that would become very unwieldy.

Therefore, as soon as a new feature release comes out, that is likely to be the end of the line for bug fixes for people not on a support plan.

So, Avid's move away from major upgrade release cycles into a world in which new feature upgrades and bug fix updates are released much more frequently, is likely to result in only one thing ...

You'll have access to only a very limited set of bug fix updates if you don't sign up to the support plan.

Yet another lever being pulled in an attempt to coerce us onto the support plan regime!

Nigel,
Thank you very much.
Very interesting. So really an update version can be dropped at any moment and if you haven't signed up your locked in at your current version.
It could be an interesting tactic to almost immediately drop an update and apply pressure to the wait and see folks.
I'm not saying Avid would do that but under their new model they can if they chose to.

Which makes me wonder and ask the question, once 2016 rolls around will PT Vanilla continued to be supported?
Will Avid change policy and make hardware mandatory at some point?
I'm sure it would be a tidy cost to make that switch, if Avid hardware were to become a requirement to run PT.
I know no one knows about 2016, but if PT Vanilla were to be phased out then that would be quite an interesting twist.
Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:15 PM

Dear Avid,

I am a full time pro audio (freelance) user of your software. I am on PT HD 11 software only with RME Hardware. My main DAW is Nuendo because most of my colleagues and studios I work for are Nuendo only installations.
My private music contacts all use Cubase.
My only reason for a PT license is compatibility with PT studios and colleagues I sometimes do business with.
Up to now I have updated my CPTK to maintain compatibility with them whenever a job came along.
It seems I am the kind of customer that would benefit more from a rental option.
Things might not have been decided upon now, but I would apprechiate information on the price structure and if it will be possibe to rent an uncrippled full version of PT HD or if rental options will be for the toy version only.

In the case of full rental options at resonable prices it might be wise to sell my PT 11 HD license to someone who has more use for it on a regular basis.

Please inform me about the renatl options that will be available and about the procudure of a license transfer for HD 11 software only.

I think that customers should get the full story rather than just bits and pieces. The number of posts in this discussion shows how many questions and how much disappointment has been created by a press release that does not show the entire picture.
You've got some great software AVID, there's no need to treat your customers like enemies.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:36 PM

If I bought Pro Tools 10 with an MBox 3 Pro then sold my MBox 3 Pro to buy an Apollo from Universal Audio and then after that bought my upgrade to PT 11... Do I have to still try to provide a hardware serial number to be able to upgrade/update?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tention View Post
Dear Avid,

I am a full time pro audio (freelance) user of your software. I am on PT HD 11 software only with RME Hardware. My main DAW is Nuendo because most of my colleagues and studios I work for are Nuendo only installations.
My private music contacts all use Cubase.
My only reason for a PT license is compatibility with PT studios and colleagues I sometimes do business with.
Up to now I have updated my CPTK to maintain compatibility with them whenever a job came along.
It seems I am the kind of customer that would benefit more from a rental option.
Things might not have been decided upon now, but I would apprechiate information on the price structure and if it will be possibe to rent an uncrippled full version of PT HD or if rental options will be for the toy version only.

In the case of full rental options at resonable prices it might be wise to sell my PT 11 HD license to someone who has more use for it on a regular basis.

Please inform me about the renatl options that will be available and about the procudure of a license transfer for HD 11 software only.

I think that customers should get the full story rather than just bits and pieces. The number of posts in this discussion shows how many questions and how much disappointment has been created by a press release that does not show the entire picture.
You've got some great software AVID, there's no need to treat your customers like enemies.
Why would they do that? They want you stuck with your current version, and hope you won't join the new plan so they can force you to pay a lot more later. Don't you know, they simply don't care about you!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 PM

If the past history of Pro Tools means anything, 11 is likely to remain perfectly capable of converting projects for at least another five years if not longer. The session file changes for 10/11 were the biggest in many years and PT users can still open and play session files from a 15 year old version. Also the basic Pro Tools isn't so crippled as to be incapable of doing project conversions. I went back and forth effortlessly between HD and LE for a decade. HD buys you features that speed up mixing but regular is more than capable of getting any job done with minimal work-arounds.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Man View Post
If I bought Pro Tools 10 with an MBox 3 Pro then sold my MBox 3 Pro to buy an Apollo from Universal Audio and then after that bought my upgrade to PT 11... Do I have to still try to provide a hardware serial number to be able to upgrade/update?
Since you're already on the current license you would only need to purchase a support plan. However, the support plan for current Pro Tools 11 users isn't currently available in the Avid Store the last I checked.

The hardware serial number requirement is for those cross grading up to Pro Tools 11 from a much earlier version such as PTLE8. You're good to go as soon as Avid makes the support plan for current PT11 or PT11 HD available for purchase in the online store. I believe the only requirement is that you have access to the iLok account for the PT11 license that you'll be buying the support plan.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi View Post
Hi guys,

To ease everyone through this transition towards getting upgrades through upgrade/support plans, Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD users on versions 9, 10 and 11 have until the end of 2015 (14 months from now) to get on a plan.

If you want to take advantage of the offer now, we're including an extra 3 months of upgrade/support coverage. However, you have the option to wait and see what we deliver from now through 2015 to make your decision.

Thanks,
Tony
Hi Tony – please clarify:

“Owners of Pro Tools | HD 9 or Pro Tools | HD 10, or Pro Tools 9, 10, or 11 with the Complete Production Toolkit, can upgrade to Pro Tools | HD 11^ for only $599.”

May I assume the Complete Production Toolkit crossgrade path will be kept open to (at least) the end of 2015?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by unkJE; 11-03-2014 at 10:10 PM. Reason: added (at least)
Closed Thread