How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:50 AM

Default Re: New Licensing

Why not just charge $50 a month, vice 600 annual?

Separately along those lines with an additional suggestion, at the same time allowing the monthly option, allow users who decide to allow a gap between versions without support require them to have to pay 50 a month times the number of months between upgrades to pay that times 50 bucks.

Al of us now who have PT11 are covered until the end of 2015. So let's say o don't attempt to upgrade until June 2016, them I would have to pay 50 bucks times 18 (months) to get on the latest version so none of ourselves find ourselves in a hopeless position, with the only way forward to have to buy a new system we don't need just to get current.

If you guys don't allow something like this you will be killing yourself off.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-03-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi View Post
If you own a perpetual license to PT or PTHD, you can retain that license in perpetuity. However, bear in mind that you may be required to relinquish those licenses as part of a future upgrade, much like we do today—with an upgrade you get an auth to the new version, and retain an auth for the prior version.
Then the straight to the point answer is no, which really sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-03-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Then the straight to the point answer is no, which really sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or one could put their current PT license asset on a separate iLok2 that you never sync.

QAPLA!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Your first paragraph is a little confusing, mostly the last sentence (the word 'unlock' is confusing me). Your install of PT would be stuck at whatever was the last feature version you downloaded before your ASS lapses. It would make no sense to do otherwise.
Probably confusing if you stopped at the first paragraph. There has been a lot of speculation as to what license you will receive as "perpetual" when a support plan is joined or once it lapses.

Your statement, "Your install of PT would be stuck at whatever was the last feature version you downloaded" suggests that upgrades and updates are based upon actual downloads and installation to your computer. What I'm referring to is the actual license itself. What actually determines the version of Pro Tools (including upgrades) of your perpetual license. Some have speculated that your license will revert to version 11.2 if, for example, you joined a support plan today, received a v11.5 upgrade in 2015, and failed to renew your support plan in 2016. I'm looking for an official position from Avid regarding how the "perpetual license" is determined as it relates to future support plan upgrades/updates.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Or one could put their current PT license asset on a separate iLok2 that you never sync.

Problem being you would have to relinquish your current license before you can download the new one. It's called a license surrender. It's what was required with the last couple of PT updates. If you didn't have the required license to surrender you couldn't get the new one.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Doesn't work he said you may have to relinquish that license if you decide to upgrade in the future
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
They won't let you go to the next release unless you prove you have the precious liscense in which during the process of placing your new liscense version on your ilok it has to see the old version, which they take away.

I'm fine with this during historical upgrades, however HD10 should be a forever exception.

The ONLY reason I even invested in HD11 was to future proof myself, I want to remain on HD10, but had planned to continue to upgrade future revisions in the event I would move away from TDM. Now, I'm screwed beyond 2015!

Old 11-03-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
If you own a perpetual license to PT or PTHD, you can retain that license in perpetuity. However, bear in mind that you may be required to relinquish those licenses as part of a future upgrade, much like we do today—with an upgrade you get an auth to the new version, and retain an auth for the prior version.

My question is will these new licenses be perpetual? You've seemed to imply that, but would like something more official.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Hi seanbil. If the upgrade/support plan for your perpetual license expires, you retain the most recent version you received as part of your upgrade plan. Your authorizations do not revert to the version you were using at the beginning of the plan—you keep the latest version.
Great! Thanks for clearing that up, Tony!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Why not just charge $50 a month, vice 600 annual?
I think - because lets say I buy one month two years from now and get PT13HD. It would keep working forever at that rev right??

Along the lines you are thinking - I am not totally against the idea that PT only works when you have a valid "subscription - active plan - etc"). $60 a month or $600/yr. Would be simple. No penalties - you are either on the bus or off. Just like Cable TV - or "some other software I could mention".

But this is all theoretical stuff. Whatever plan they have is most likely way to far along to change .
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Closed Thread