Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Default Workspace shows no Volumes

PT 10.2 on Windows 7. All of a sudden my workspace browser isn't showing any Volumes. I've read through the threads but nothing has worked. I've deleted the Databases folder (then PT wouldn't boot) I've uninstalled everything including drivers, databases, prefs, etc.. Clean installed.. nothing. All my sessions play and record fine and drives are listed in the Disk Usage window. Just not in the workspace, which is killin me because I gotta do some drum replacement. This problem occurred out of nowhere. Any tips would be much appreciated, except "go buy a mac."

PT 10.2
Windows 7 4 GB Ram
T2500 2.0 Ghz
External Glyph GTO50Q
Old 08-14-2012, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Workspace shows no Volumes

So, the work around I found was to revert back to Pro Tools 10.1. But I think the trick is to dig up the old Digidesign & Avid folders under Program Files/Common Files. Then did a clean install of 10.1. After looking through the new Databases/Unidcode folder I found that there was a new Folder named "Volumes" along with "Catalogs." I'm guessing this somehow got deleted or moved and caused the problem. So, I updated to 10.2 with a clean install and things are working fine.
Quick suggestion, before doing the whole uninstall/reinstall thing, you may want to try to simply create a "Volumes" folder under Program Files/Avid/Pro Tools/Databases/Unicode..
It may see the folder and add the volumes files from there? Worth a quick try if you end up with this problem.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 AM

If anyone else h as this issue, the solution for me was to set PT to run as "Administrator". Find the actual file location and right-click on it. then select "Properties" and go to the "Compatibility" tab. Under "Priviledge Level" check "Run this Program as an administrator".
[email protected]
Old 11-19-2012, 01:09 PM

Thanks, worked for me.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstucker View Post
If anyone else h as this issue, the solution for me was to set PT to run as "Administrator". Find the actual file location and right-click on it. then select "Properties" and go to the "Compatibility" tab. Under "Priviledge Level" check "Run this Program as an administrator".
UPDATE. To avoid loss or damage to your PT system, it should not be run as administrator at all times. Here are the steps to take to get the volumes updated in the database and still be able to operate PT as a normal user. Thanks for the original tip, it worked, but made me paranoid so it got me thinking. Cheers

After you open PT in admin mode,

1. Open Workspace
2. RIGHT CLICK on the volume and select "Update Database for Selected".
3. Close workspace when database has been updated.
4. Exit PT
5. Go back to the pro tools file you set to run as admin, and un-check "Run as an Administrator" to run as normal user.

Bob's your uncle, the volume will now be revealed in the workspace under normal user mode.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 PM

Wow... what is going on around here.... Listed in the optimizations for Pro Tools:

RUN AS ADMIN
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...pe=1078#run_as

Under MAC... setting up a user "RUN AS ADMIN"

I have always been told/read/understood you should be running Pr Tools as administrator... Period
Old 11-19-2012, 03:50 PM

I have always run PT as Admin. Chances are pretty good that when not running as Admin you'll encounter oddities here and there. I find a lot of audio/video programs simply won't run otherwise, although maybe not for everyone. I would really like to know why you think running as an Admin would cause/create ANY problems. I don't believe I've every seen anything but the opposite.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
I have always run PT as Admin. Chances are pretty good that when not running as Admin you'll encounter oddities here and there. I find a lot of audio/video programs simply won't run otherwise, although maybe not for everyone. I would really like to know why you think running as an Admin would cause/create ANY problems. I don't believe I've every seen anything but the opposite.
And now were thinking in the right direction.... There are many reasons for not having or seeing or allowing disks to be seen... and many ways to fix it. It is an individuals personal systems issue and not a Pro Tools issue.... to be clear.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 AM

I think that running any program with administrator privileges at all times is risky. I also know this to be true, but do as you wish. I have no problems running PT as a user. But I am an old DOS guy and actually know how to fix my computer, and know the pitfalls of doing what you are suggesting to do. You never even would have had this issue if you installed PT with Admin privileges in the first place. But thank you anyhow, your fix worked.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
Wow... what is going on around here.... Listed in the optimizations for Pro Tools:

RUN AS ADMIN
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...pe=1078#run_as

Under MAC... setting up a user "RUN AS ADMIN"

I have always been told/read/understood you should be running Pr Tools as administrator... Period
That's great, but that wasn't the problem. Where does it say to run pro tools as an admin. Here is what you linked to...

" Run as Administrator

This can help with various launch issues as well as a variety of MIDI issues (i.e., no MIDI output or control surface communication) and using the Avid/Digidesign hardware driver in third-party DAWs.

Right-click on the Pro Tools icon on your desktop.
If using a third-party DAW, right-click on that application's icon instead.
Choose Properties.
Click on the Compatibility tab.
Check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator."
Click Apply and then OK."