Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2011, 10:59 PM

Default Do i need a DI box in between my guitar and Mbox 2 Mini

To improve my guitar sound and dynamics when recording using Line Input 1 at the rear panel of Mbox 2 Mini do you think using a DI box will make a difference?

What DI box do you think would be the best to use?

Cheers
Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Do i need a DI box in between my guitar and Mbox 2 Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
To improve my guitar sound and dynamics when recording using Line Input 1 at the rear panel of Mbox 2 Mini do you think using a DI box will make a difference?

Cheers
Active or passive pickups? If their active they should be fine without a DI box. I'll be honest, I always used the line in with passive humbuckers and never felt like thier was an issue. Technically a direct box might help things slightly but whether the difference would be worth the money spent is another story entirely.

My advice would be to borrow one and try it before buying one.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-05-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post

Cheers
Get ZBOX by MOTU, it's very inexpensive, only 39.95 at Musician's Friend, it always comes handy for many situations. I used it all the time with my MBox Pro, that was the only way to get the "real amp" feel and dynamics out of Amplitube 3, I don't use it anymore because I upgraded to the FSL56, and the preamps are so good that the ZBOX is redundant. But is always a good gadget to keep around. You'll be amazed at the improvement.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Active or passive pickups? If their active they should be fine without a DI box. I'll be honest, I always used the line in with passive humbuckers and never felt like thier was an issue. Technically a direct box might help things slightly but whether the difference would be worth the money spent is another story entirely.

My advice would be to borrow one and try it before buying one.
I believe the pickups on my strat are passive pickups.They are 57/62 Fender pickups.

I might try the motu zbox.its not much.See if there will be any difference.

Cheers
Old 04-05-2011, 07:17 PM

anyone have an experience with the whirlwind IMP 2?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 PM

You might want to consider getting the new Mbox 3 mini. The DI is very much improved, along with the preamps and conversion, to the point where you wouldn't need a separate DI.

They are now selling them without the Protools software, which is good since you already have it (and it might be cheaper?).

Between what you were gonna spend, along with selling your current Mbox Mini, it might not be that much of a stretch to get the new one.