How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 PM

Default Notation/Score editor unusable with large scoring templates

In addition to the midi functions/tempo editing slowdown with PT10 and large midi track counts, the score editor/notation display is even worse than PT9 (it's always been very slow to open).

Here are the issues I am seeing - any other composers using large midi templates, your input would be most appreciated:

1 - Since PT8, the notation display has been slow to open with large midi track counts - apparently PT scans every single midi track before opening even a single clip in the editor. If opening from the track window, right click to the editor directly, PT selects and displays every single track in the project - a mess of black lines in the score editor.

2 - In PT10 opening the notation display now locks up PT - it will display every track's staff layered on top of the others; but I now have to reboot the system to recover.

Basically, the score editor/transfer to Sibelius is completely unusable in PT10 with my typical, 200+ midi track scoring template. Very bad.

3 - Tempo editing is painfully slow with larger track counts, but I've found that this only applies when the midi tracks are in ticks mode. Switching to sample mode solves it. This works for a lot of film work I do as I'm free-forming my cue outlines before tempo mapping anyway. But it won't work for everything, or everyone.

Any other experiences? I'm interested to see if these are Windows only issues (I know #3 is).

Any OSX users having any issues with large templates in PT10?

This needs to be resolved very soon for me to stick with PT; and switching back to another DAW is time consuming and problematic in the midst of long term projects, or multiple projects for a single client. I would prefer to stick with PT.

Avid knows about the tempo editing/midi function slowdown in PT10 on Win, but the score editor problem has been there since 8/9, and I'm concerned that neither issue will ever be addressed unless a lot of pro composers voice their concerns. Hence this thread.

Thanks.