Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-12-2018, 03:29 PM

Default Track/Clip Renaming Bug - Playlists while ADR’ing?

Hello,

I record ADR often, and use playlists to store the takes as I’m going along. I don’t know how to better explain my problem than by just running through an example:

I title my record audio track CUE001, and then record a take on this track. If this is the first take (and there doesn’t happen to be any rogue audio clips in the audio files folder already named CUE001_01) then CUE001_01 will be the title of the first clip recorded on the CUE001 track. If I use the shortcut control+\ (Mac) upon completion of the take, then it presents me with a dialogue box “Name for new playlist”. In this example, the auto-prompt titling is “CUE001.01”. I typically will delete the .01, leaving just CUE001, so that when I hit record for take two of CUE001, the clip will be appropriately named CUE001_02. This all works great with no issues. The issue I have is when I would like to move on to the next cue: I use shortcut control+\ to put the last take of CUE001 into the playlist. I then type CUE002 into the “Name for new playlist” dialogue so that this is the new title for the track. When recording the first take on this track (now titled CUE002) you would expect it to name the clip CUE002_01, but instead, it continues on with the numbering suffix of wherever you last left off with CUE001. So, if I recorded two takes titled CUE001_01 and CUE001_02 on the track titled CUE001, then the first take for CUE002 is titled CUE002_03. However, I have an annoying workaround: Once CUE001 is complete, instead of using the “Name for new playlist” dialogue box to rename the track to CUE002, I continue with deleting the .01 (or dot whatever take it is), and leave the title as CUE001. I then go to the to the track title and rename it the normal way by double clicking it and renaming it to CUE002. If you rename the track via this method, then the first clip recorded on the track titled CUE002 will then be the desired CUE002_01. So, in both methods the record track is titled CUE002, but only in one of the methods will the clip titling be what (I think) one would expect.

During fast moving sessions, low reset time is really valuable and if I don’t have to mouse over to the title renaming the track each time it would be super helpful.

I’ve listed the specs of one of the machines where this is taking place, but I have confirmed PT to be functioning this way in four different rooms with slightly different hardware, OS and PT versions, so it doesn’t *seem* to be my specific setup.

Has anyone else encountered this? Thanks in advance.

Computer: Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
Processor: 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
OS Version: 10.13.3
Hardware: AVID HD I/O
Pro Tools: 2018.1
RAM: 20 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
Peripherals: LG UltraWide Display via ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB graphics, iLok inserted on front USB of Mac Pro, USB stick with Waves licenses inserted on front USB of Mac Pro, Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball, Pro Tools shortcuts Mac Keyboard
Internal Drives: 120GB Sata SSD APFS system drive, 1TB Sata SSD APFS drive for recording/playback.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Track/Clip Renaming Bug - Playlists while ADR’ing?

Phew! That's a lot of brainwork... I think any attempt to use or control Pro Tools' auto file naming is an exercise in futility, and will just hang up your sessions and leave you frustrated.

Much better IMO to just do what most of us do which is to rely on playlist numbering for takes. If the extra keystroke to confirm the playlist number bothers you, you could group your single track to a second "dummy" track; then when you hit ctl-cmd-\ the playlist number will auto-increment without needing a confirmation. Or you could easily create a macro in Keyboard Maestro to request a new playlist number and confirm in one keystroke.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 03-13-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the response Rich! I'll have to add the "dummy" track to my bag of workaround tricks. Definitely nice to save some keystrokes.

Once we're able to update our PT rigs, I suppose this will be *fairly* moot as I'll be able to use batch rename after the record session (we are generally given naming specs from the studios we work with), but until then, I'll keep on with these workarounds.

Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:34 PM

Also, keyboard Maestro seems pretty great. Not sure how I haven't seen this before, but already have some great workflows set up. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbison View Post
Also, keyboard Maestro seems pretty great. Not sure how I haven't seen this before, but already have some great workflows set up. Thanks!
Yeah, I'd call it essential for anyone who spends a lot of time in Pro Tools. You could also set up some macros for batch renaming clips until you upgrade your rigs - I have a few that add file name prefixes and strip off and renumber suffixes. Really handy utility to have.

best

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6