Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2009, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Apogee Discontinues Windows Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
My guess is Apogee is dropping windows support because they are a hardware company, NOT a software company. They make excellent converters, but their ability to make a hardware and software package as appealing as digi's is not as good.
But Apogee has never attempted to build a hardware/software package like PT HD, have they?

I think it's either the Apple/emagic thing redux on the horizon, or a decision by Apogee that they don't want to deal with writing drivers and maneuvering through the hardware conflicts and compatibility quagmire for Vista or Windows 7 and beyond. And if it's the latter, they're probably not the only manufacturer in our industry that will be giving Microsoft a frustrated farewell.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Apogee Discontinues Windows Support

Quote:
But Apogee has never attempted to build a hardware/software package like PT HD, have they?
Not like PTHD, no. But it's still a pretty big problem(which leads me to my opinion that software is not their cup of tea) for apogee to introduce a $1500 interface that doesn't work with ANY software for a year or so. I know there were problems galore with many audio interfaces(motu, TC electronic to name a few) when Leopard first came out, but the ensemble was way before Leopard. At that time, most everyone else had no problems writing drivers for their hardware.

Quote:
And if it's the latter, they're probably not the only manufacturer in our industry that will be giving Microsoft a frustrated farewell.
Not limited to audio, this is true of just about every industry using vista. It flags it's own software as "potentially harmful".