Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2013, 05:41 PM

Unhappy mBoxMini3 no longer detected + phantom not coming on: is the unit DEAD?

Before I throw out my newly purchased (but no longer under warranty) mBox Mini (3rd gen), I would like to know if anyone else ever experienced suddenly not being able to reinstall the interface because Windows no longer detected it, or the phantom power light no longer turned on?

I've had this unit for a week and after an arduous day of troubleshooting to get it up and running, it was very finicky and the audio I got in PTools was accompanied with crackles. Yuk. Today, I was fed up and uninstalled it - but now Windows wont even detect it, and the phantom power red light remains off.

I spent an ASC support ticket on this and the rep seems to think its dead. At this time I have no other PC to try it on but I want to know if anyone else ever experienced this and if so, how was it remedied?

I wonder if audio crackling was the sign that the unit was slowly dying?

On a last note, I paid 300$ for this PT10+mBoxMini bundle so its still a good deal as the software alone sells for 700$. However, Im wondering if it would be worth paying 120$ + shipping to get it repaired...IF its dead. Is there a market for selling this unit "as is"? Maybe I could sell it for 50$ and let someone else get it repaired?

Thoughts on my situation? Advice?