How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2016, 08:41 PM

Default Adjusting Drive in 11R amp models

Hi,
I would like to know how to increase/decrease the drive in 11R amp models.Some of the amp models don't have drive knob.So what do I do.
While working on the 11R today,I happened to increase the drive on one of the amp models.When I changed the amp model,(not sure what models I was working on),I found the amp model that replaced the previous one was also overdriving ! I wanted to cut down the drive but the replaced model did not have a drive knob! I finally had to turn of the 11r & turn it back on to get the overdrive on the selected amp model cleaned up.
Has anyone come across this issue or is it just me?
The manual mentions a 'preamp'.Where do I find this preamp? I only see 1 amp model on each rig? Is there a separate preamp section?
Also where do I make the adjustment for true Z input to turn on Auto?

Thanks
Old 04-30-2016, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Adjusting Drive in 11R amp models

What the hell is "drive" on a guitar amplifier? The amp sims are giving you the same controls as the real amps, preamp gain, master volume (if the amp has that). etc. Make sure you know how to scroll across the amp-sim window on the Eleven Rack front panel so you see all knob settings (described in the User Guide).

The preamp part of every amp-sim is just in that amp sim block, the Eleven Rack does not splt up an amp between preamp and power-amp blocks. The gain knob, just like on a real guitar amp, adjusts the gain of the preamp.

Just like in real life, you cannot just swap amps and expect setting between different amps to just work for you, you need to understand/play with/adjust all the settings on the new amp if needed to get it to do what you want. Especially Considering the range of amps form classic low-gain amps to high gain metal amps that the Eleven Rack simulates.

If you want a overdrive pedal before the amp stick one in the Eleven rack signal chain.

True-Z settings are under User Options on the Eleven Rack, well documented in the Eleven Rack User Guide.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:59 PM

And to be more specific, I guess you are looking at things like the '85 M2 which is a Mesa Boogie Mk II lead channel sim. That high gain lead channel in the real amp is just another stage or two of gain after the preamp. On the real amp the drive control is just a voltage divider/potentiometer in front of that extra lead amp block. OK it lets you control wether the lead block is overdriving more independently of the preceding preamp stage. It any other amplifier the gain knob effectively does the same thing. And the cynic in me would say without Mesa Boogie trying to market their big early differentiation and scream "hey high-gain amp here with extra gain stages" you might not have this drive knob.

Again the way to use anything like an Eleven Rack is to try to think of it as a actual amp and what it is really trying to simulate and then just play with it from there.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:43 AM

Contrary to Line 6 as an example, Eleven Rack is replicating the amp it's simulating in every aspect, from tone to knobs. Learn how the real amp works and you'll be able to dial the tone you want, otherwise you'll think the modeling is bad. Search the web on how to get a good sound out the real amp and dial 11R accordingly.

So yes there's some models without a drive knob simply because it doesn't exist on the real amp. Same for bass/middle/treble/presence knobs.

Last edited by DonaldR; 05-04-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 AM

As mentioned, if an Amp model does not have a Drive knob, then you can't adjust that specific parameter because it does not exist on the real amp. It depends on the amp model you are using, but you can adjust gain, Hi-Gain, Normal, volume, ect... it just depends on the amp model.

You can add a JRC Overdrive in front of the amp, or a White Boost, ect... if the amp you are using is not breaking up the way you want it to.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-04-2016, 07:15 PM

I think Elvis (or maybe James Burton?) has left the building.