Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2006, 09:10 AM

Default waveburner

Has anyone noticed waveburner cd's not playing back on certain systems, in particular in a car? And if so, what was the reason+solution? Thanks!!
Old 05-27-2006, 10:52 AM

Default Re: waveburner

I have just come across this problem. Don't have a solution yet. For me it could be media. I just switched from Mitsui to TDK. . Then again, Waveburner is brought to you by the same people that bring LOGIC....... so who knows. You never know what version of this software will OR will not work.

Syn-g
www.bulletsage.com
Old 05-27-2006, 01:59 PM

I've used Imation CD-R. Very strange, Waverburner is supposed to be Red Book. I never had any problems with Masterlist CD and Imation discs.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:19 PM

I came across some expanding issues from Waveburner CD's, where Jam CD's would work. (High numbered track looping, skipping, Burns failed-system restarts ect...) Eventually the Superdrive failed (Pioneer DVR-109)) during a WB burn.

Apple replaced (AppleCare) with a Sony Drive and all my Waveburner anomalies ended.

The drive failure was slow to appear. (seemed like it began after I installed Logic-Pro (Waveburner)

Other apps. like Jam - Toast – Discwelder and DVD studio-pro seemed to be working fine.

Whether or not a software package like Waveburner could excessively heat or over heat the laser was never answered.

Coincidence? Don’t know but the new drive (3 Months) and Waveburner are now working as they should.

Waveburner 1.1.2 PT's 7.1cs7 OS 10.4.6
G5 Dual 2.7

PS Other Waveburner issues were cured after removing all NI-AU from the AU manager list.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:45 PM

Default Re: waveburner,burns ISRC or Text but not both

I cam accross issues in Waveburner 1.1.2 where it will burn
ISRC or Text but not both.

Anyone hit this before?

OS 10.4.6 G5 dual 2.7
Old 06-22-2006, 10:18 PM

Default Re: waveburner,burns ISRC or Text but not both

Been using Waveburner Pro daily for over a year now & have burnt over a thousand discs by now with none of the issues you guys seem to be mentioning. In fact my bet is that none of your problems can be related to the software but more hardware problems. I use Taiyo Yuden CD-R's & I've never found a player that won't read those. For the record I have a Pioneer DVR109 for burning duties & it's not once skipped a beat with Waveburner & Taiyo Yuden media.

Matt

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 06-23-2006, 01:36 AM

Default Re: waveburner,toast no go on car stereo

Additional information: I have now also used TDK audio CD's with the same result. BUT I have also used both Imation and TDK's and simply burned them with Toast ... same result!! So it looks like there is an incompatibility between my car stereo system (that's the one where they do not play) and anything I burn on OSX, be it with Waveburner or Toast. I repeat that I have never had this happen with Masterlist, OS9 and SDII audiofiles.

And what happens is, it seemingly cannot find the starting point. When I hold down the speedback button it will spool back until the CD is almost completely at the beginning and then from that point on it will play completely without problems. When it has reached the end and wants to start again the problem repeats itself ... zip zip zip ... searching for a starting point.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:34 AM

Default Re: waveburner,toast no go on car stereo

Quote:
...anything I burn on OSX, be it with Waveburner or Toast. I repeat that I have never had this happen with Masterlist, OS9 and SDII audiofiles.
How confident are you in the reliability of your car stereo?

Are you saying that all the audio CD's made in the old system still work?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:23 AM

I think it's more likely related to burn speed than software.

I had this explained to me once this way: you know when you pass your finger through a candle flame very fast and it doesn't hurt, but if you pass it through slowly it burns? Your CD-burner is doing the same thing to the surface of the CD with a laser, so if you burn at 16x you are 'pitting' the surface much shallower than if you burn at 2x. The older the CD-player, the less likely it is to read shallow pits, so if your car stereo is not from the last couple of years, it probably won't read home-burned disks unless you burn them at 1x or 2x speed.

I sometimes burn CDs for clients at these slow speeds when my gut tells me they are not very tech-savvy, and consequently less likely to have new CD equipment. HTH

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

Rig 1: 2.8GHz Macbook Pro PT 12.7.1 Logic 10.3.2 Scarlett 18i20
Rig 2: 2.66 QuadCore Intel Xeon Logic 10.2.0 Scarlett 18i20 PTHD10.3.10
Old 06-23-2006, 01:07 PM

Thanks Sonny, I'll give it a try a slow speed and report back.

And yes rockridge, they all still work perfectly.