Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-22-2014, 12:10 PM

Default Error -9073 drive is too slow using a fast enough drive

I just started getting an -9073 error running a session with about 30 tracks and lots of edits, though no plug-ins.

"DAE can't get audio from the drive fast enough. Your drive may be too slow or fragmented or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwidth or CPU load" made no sense since it's a 7200 rpm thunderbolt drive."

I removed some of the tracks which helped briefly then the problem started again. I just replaced my Mac Pro 1,1 with a 2012 Mac Mini i7 2.6 gHz quad core with an SSD start up drive and I'm using a G-Drive mobile thunderbolt drive for audio, along with my old Digi 003 console and Digimax FS preamp. I have had no issues with my new set up until this problem started. I thought it might be a thunderbolt issue so I plugged in the HD via its USB 3.0 port, but the problem remained. Then I tried playing back the session from my FW800 backup drive. Still the same error message. I tried playing a different project and it played fine. So my next hunch was that the problem session was corrupted. I created a new session and imported all the tracks into the new session and started working without any problems for awhile, then started getting the error message again. I still seem to be able to work on other sessions without any problems but I'm wondering what could be causing issues with this particular session. It is a little larger and more complicated than the other sessions I've tested since the problem started, but still well within the track count limit for Pro Tools 10 Native.

The G-Drive mobile thunderbolt drive is less than half full and is supposed to be plenty fast for audio work. I would think using a thunderbolt connection would speed things up even more.

Any suggestions out there?

2012 Mac Mini i7 quad core 2.6 ghz, 256 gb SSD drive, 16 gb RAM, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digi 003, Digimax FS preamp, 1 TB G Drive mobile thunderbolt 7200 rpm
Old 03-23-2014, 08:23 AM

Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy
Default Re: Error -9073 drive is too slow using a fast enough drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Tango View Post
I just started getting an -9073 error running a session with about 30 tracks and lots of edits, though no plug-ins.

"DAE can't get audio from the drive fast enough. Your drive may be too slow or fragmented or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwidth or CPU load" made no sense since it's a 7200 rpm thunderbolt drive."

I removed some of the tracks which helped briefly then the problem started again. I just replaced my Mac Pro 1,1 with a 2012 Mac Mini i7 2.6 gHz quad core with an SSD start up drive and I'm using a G-Drive mobile thunderbolt drive for audio, along with my old Digi 003 console and Digimax FS preamp. I have had no issues with my new set up until this problem started. I thought it might be a thunderbolt issue so I plugged in the HD via its USB 3.0 port, but the problem remained. Then I tried playing back the session from my FW800 backup drive. Still the same error message. I tried playing a different project and it played fine. So my next hunch was that the problem session was corrupted. I created a new session and imported all the tracks into the new session and started working without any problems for awhile, then started getting the error message again. I still seem to be able to work on other sessions without any problems but I'm wondering what could be causing issues with this particular session. It is a little larger and more complicated than the other sessions I've tested since the problem started, but still well within the track count limit for Pro Tools 10 Native.

The G-Drive mobile thunderbolt drive is less than half full and is supposed to be plenty fast for audio work. I would think using a thunderbolt connection would speed things up even more.

Any suggestions out there?

2012 Mac Mini i7 quad core 2.6 ghz, 256 gb SSD drive, 16 gb RAM, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digi 003, Digimax FS preamp, 1 TB G Drive mobile thunderbolt 7200 rpm
Yes.
Defragment your audio drive.
I use iDefrag myself.
Cheers.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:10 AM

The audio drive is only two weeks old. I doubt it already needs to be defragged.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeqplease View Post
Yes.
Defragment your audio drive.
I use iDefrag myself.
Cheers.
Defrag programs don't really work all that well on Macs. I've even had a Mac perform worse after a defrag then before. The best thing to do would be to move everything off the drive in question, reformat it, and then bring everything back in.

QAPLA!
Old 03-23-2014, 12:01 PM

I hate to think this could be true, but I have had new drives fail(so back it up NOW). Seriously, had a 10 day old WD firewire drive go bad(good thing I had the one session on it already backed up). The replacement started acting funky after only a few days. Then a friend's rig(only 3 months ago) had 3 drives(same batch, bought at the same time) cause rotten performance(on a killer 6-core i7 rig). As soon as he moved a session off any of those drives and onto a spare I lent him, it all performed great(all 3 drives were replaced under warranty). The moral here is, just because a drive is new or mostly empty, doesn't mean the drive is good

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-23-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I hate to think this could be true, but I have had new drives fail(so back it up NOW). Seriously, had a 10 day old WD firewire drive go bad(good thing I had the one session on it already backed up). The replacement started acting funky after only a few days. Then a friend's rig(only 3 months ago) had 3 drives(same batch, bought at the same time) cause rotten performance(on a killer 6-core i7 rig). As soon as he moved a session off any of those drives and onto a spare I lent him, it all performed great(all 3 drives were replaced under warranty). The moral here is, just because a drive is new or mostly empty, doesn't mean the drive is good
Agreed. One of the Glyph GPT50's on my iMac system went south in 3 months and was not even 10% full. But it turns out it wasn't the drive itself but the support electronics. Mustn't discount that part of the system even though a lot of people do.

QAPLA!