Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-12-2018, 02:22 PM

Default Problems Transfer Da Vinci Resolve --> PT

Unfortunetly we experience major isues transfering the audio of feature length resolve (15) session to PT. The timeline consists of 4 - 8 Mono Tracks location sound.
The (Pro Tools optimized) AAF export generated a referenced AAF with MXF content. Neither Pro Tools 2018.7 or Nuendo 8 are able to open the aaf.

PT shows:"Could not complete your request because it does not contain data that can be imprtetd via import session data"

We tried a workaround exporting an XML File Resolve --> Premiere Pro (up to date version) and then an OMF transfer from Premiere Pro --> PT. This looks pretty promising, but some of the clips have missing handles. (not to mention the fact that all metadata is lost)

Is anyone experienced with resolve exports and could suggest a way?

Béla Brandes | www.bbsounddesign.de
Old 10-12-2018, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Problems Transfer Da Vinci Resolve --> PT

Testing with a simple supplied (Mac Based?) Resolve 15 exported with linked AAF containing 1 video, 1 mono and 1 stereo track (several clips on each audio track) I found my W10 Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.7 opened it without issues and I had smooth video and audio playback. The MXF files were placed into an Avid MediaFiles\MXF\11 folder on a local Media hard drive.

The volume automation's and clip gains I was looking for did not transfer with the AAF import. I do not know whether the exported media had handles, so did look for handles.

The same AAF opened in the latest MC. The only issue was the timeline opened but showed not enough media. Trimming 1 frame off the end of all tracks fixed this issue. I added clip gain and volume automation to all clips and exported a linked AAF. Pro Tools opened the MC AAF with all automation's and clip gain.

You could test with a shortened Resolve 15 timeline to see if the issue stems from the length of your feature causing a Resolve AAF export issue.

If it has the same result, and you have the time, could you make new Resolve Project with the same track layout and make a minute or so long timeline with clips and enough media for 10 seconds of handles and make a an AAF. Then send a copy of the media used and the Resolve project (I have Resolve 15 Studio here) so I can test it. I can also explore other Resolve exports and going via MC to see if I establish a robust Resolve-PT's workflow.

Andrew.
P.S. I just checked and there were handles on the clips from the Resolve AAF and they were all available in Pro Tools (and MC).
Old 10-12-2018, 03:45 PM

hi, yes the Editor tried several short exports (2minutes excerpts) but we did not even manage to get a decent import to premiere yet.
Thanks for offering tests with MC, that might be way to go. I will speak with the editor about it.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:41 PM

Another thought.
I do not know if Resolve will create an AAF's without a video track. If there are motion effects and picture resizes in the video these could be the cause of your issue.
To get around this I would duplicate the Resolve timeline. Then "Deliver" to a DNxHD movie with burnt in TC from that timeline.
Open this DNxHD movie in Resolve's Media Page and replace the existing video in Resolve Edit page timeline with this new clip. From this duplicate timeline make a new AAF.
One of the existing 2 minute versions would be a great way to test this theory.

Andrew
Old 10-13-2018, 12:51 AM

Yes, you're right Resolve won't render an AAF without a video, thats what the editor said. So thats what i asked him to do, to replace the orginal video files with the already rendered picture lock video. Unfortunetly that did not help.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:24 PM

Hello,

Maybe another approach is to try a "track by track" AAF export. Get the editor to export only track 8 and see if it opens. I remember a "long" time ago when a single clip in MC would make the entire omf/aaf crash on import in Protools.

Best of luck!

Watching this thread as we are starting to look at resolve more seriously these days...

Franky
Old 10-15-2018, 11:08 PM

Allegedly R does export AAF sans video...

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...it=AAF#p446497

“Use the "Avid AAF" preset, and deselect the "Export Video" option in the Video tab.
Imports correctly without issue in to ProTools Ultimate 2018.10.”
Old 10-16-2018, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevora View Post
Allegedly R does export AAF sans video...

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...it=AAF#p446497

“Use the "Avid AAF" preset, and deselect the "Export Video" option in the Video tab.
Imports correctly without issue in to ProTools Ultimate 2018.10.”
Can confirm that the Avid AAF preset with Export Video deselected imports into PT Ultimate 2018.4 fine, albeit with the usual caveats about Resolve that it renames everything and exports as MXF rather than the original wavs.

michaelfbates.com

imdb.com/name/nm4876413
Old 10-18-2018, 09:35 AM

I will be doing a project coming from resolve soon - will report back how it goes

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 10-19-2018, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
I will be doing a project coming from resolve soon - will report back how it goes
That would be great Mike, thanks, it would be good to see how other people's projects from Resolve are going as it seems to be gaining traction.

I did a feature at the start of the summer that came from Resolve, and we had major issues working on a 14.x version.

1) All production sound in the AAF was renamed to the camera file name and slate, take and channel metadate didn't display in PT.

2) No audio EDLs. When the editor managed to create a "workaround" EDL (never found out what he did to create that) it had no sound roll data.

3) A large proportion of the clips in the AAF were randomly out of sync. We never got to the bottom of why that was, but some clips where 4 frames, some 4 seconds and anything in between. I would estimate this was the case for around a quarter of the AAF.

michaelfbates.com

imdb.com/name/nm4876413