Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2010, 01:34 PM

Default Eleven Rack VS Marshall - FOR LIVE USE

Eleven Rack VS Marshall - FOR LIVE USE

Hi,

I bought the Eleven Rack a month ago and it sounds great in my home studio with headphones. Now Im in the process of buying a guitar amp for my band (looking at a Marshall JVM Combo), so I thought of using Eleven Rack live. Ive done the steps from the videos how to change the output options from the preferences within Eleven rack to Rig output without cab (Ive tried all the options: amp input, amp output, rig input, rig output and rig output no cab) since Ive tried connecting it to both Marshall combos and also stacks.
My problem is that it still sounds very "thin" (compared to a nice "warm" tube sound that I get when I plug my guitar right in to the Marshall. Maybe I have to do tweaking with EQs and stuff on the Eleven rack, but I just dont understand, it sound good enough in the headphones.
Of course, getting a power amp (maybe Crown) would be the next step to not alter the sound of the Eleven rack too much with any other amp, its just that after buying the Eleven rack, Im a bit short of funds and if it doesnt sound good enough for me with a power amp and a cab (compared to a marshall tube amp), Im standing there with quite a bit of equipment that Im not satisdied with.

I love the idea of using Eleven rack, to be able to use the same sounds in my home studio as on the gigs, its just that with all the three different Marshalls Ive tried it with so far, it just sounds so thin, no real "body" of the sound, Ive tried different cables, so dont think its that.

Thanks for taking your time!

Cheers

Tom
Old 09-25-2010, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack VS Marshall - FOR LIVE USE

Hi Tom, where on your Marshall did you connect the "Output to Amp" cable from the 11R to?
Old 09-25-2010, 01:58 PM

To use the 11r live, in my opinion you have two options

1) xlr Left Main output -> house PA. xlr Right output -> powered floor monitor or in-ear monitor.

2) both xlr outputs -> stereo power amp (ex Rocktron Velocity 300)-> clean cab of your choice. You can then mic this cab and send that to a PA if needed.

Because the amp and cab modeling in the 11r sounds so good you would really be missing out if you bypass it. If you do you've reduced the 11r to an expensive fx processor. Personally I would not go thru the Marshall because both the power section and speakers will adversely "color" the 11r sound.

This is just my opinion and I hope it helps.
120GB OCZ Agility 3, 2 TB WD Green

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Pro Tools 8.0.5

M-Audio Keyrig 49
Eleven Rack w/ERXP
FCB1010 | Mackie SRM450v2 | Taylor 314ce | Ibanez RG321MH | ESP Horizon NT-II DSBS
Old 09-25-2010, 02:50 PM

Thanks both of u for ur replies!

I connected the output from the 11r to the (normal) input of the marshall. There could prob also be options to connect it to things like FX loop, but I want to use 11r not just for the FX, so will prob have to go to my local shop n c if I can try to plug my 11r into a power amp and a cab n c how it sounds. Its just that I dont really care about millions of dist sounds, I just want to find ONE nice good warm tube like clean sound n work from there.

Anyone tried the 11r through a power amp and cab? sounding nice n warm with clean sound?

Thanks again for ur answers!
Old 09-25-2010, 02:55 PM

heres a youtube link of a guy using the 11r thru a Rocktron Velocity 300 into an old VHT 4x12 cab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYq7DfKGiUw

sounds pretty good to me.

edit: looks like he turned off the cab simulation.
120GB OCZ Agility 3, 2 TB WD Green

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Pro Tools 8.0.5

M-Audio Keyrig 49
Eleven Rack w/ERXP
FCB1010 | Mackie SRM450v2 | Taylor 314ce | Ibanez RG321MH | ESP Horizon NT-II DSBS
Old 09-25-2010, 04:40 PM

guitar>11r>fx in on the amp. This bypasses the the preamp section and lets you use the power section of the Marshall. Pluging it into the guitar input could damage the marshall's pre.
Eleven Rack, Axiom 61
Old 09-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Avid

As other people have, said you'll be much better off going into you amps FX loop, so you don't get the extra coloration of the preamp. You may also want to set the Presence to zero, and use the Presence control in the Eleven Rack amp models.

If you don't have an FX loop, you can go into the preamp input, but to minimize coloration from the preamp you'll probably get the best results by setting the Mid to 10 and the Bass and Treble to 0. If there is a bright switch, set it to off.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:31 AM

Thanks for that!

I will try that.
iF so many artists say its sounds amazing live, then I must do something wrong.
Hope it works.

Cheers!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:07 PM

When I tested the 11R at GC, they plugged it into the Serial Loop Return of a Diezel VH4 and into a Mesa 412. With the cabinet modeling turned off it sounded phenomenal.

Through a QSC K10 with the cab modeling turned on, I felt it needed an external 31 band equalizer. But then pretty much everything needs EQ anyway. It still sounded good, but because it was now a recorded amp tone it lost the "amp in the room" feel. That will happen with any modeler. The recorded tone was excellent for a recorded tone, and of course this is what people hear from FOH.

But anyway, have fun.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
Old 09-28-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziqman View Post
To use the 11r live, in my opinion you have two options

1) xlr Left Main output -> house PA. xlr Right output -> powered floor monitor or in-ear monitor.

2) both xlr outputs -> stereo power amp (ex Rocktron Velocity 300)-> clean cab of your choice. You can then mic this cab and send that to a PA if needed.
1 more method and the one I use is... XLR left AND right outputs to the house PA, this way you can get some excellent use of stereo time based effects, I then take a monitor feed from the desk.