Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 06-29-2013, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
My cousin is a programmer at NASA, he's a bright guy I'm going to ask him to look at the drivers and see if he would be willing to get it to work with PT 11 for me.

If you do that, Avid might well respond...with an army of lawyers. Reverse engineering is a violation of the license terms...
So how come we have Apogee X-HD cards which work wonderfully? I bet those are not licensed... But I do not really know. I'm just guessing. I think that if the Apogee cards were licensed, then Apogee would have (or should have) made a big point about it in their website.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stukface View Post
As you can see there are plenty of loyal long time customers that can't move to PT 11 now.
I know, I'm in the boat as well. My trusty old HD3 is going to run strong for many years still. But this (PT11) is a huge deal, it's more than jumping from MIX to HD. It's a whole new era. Game-changer. And no, I do not work for Avid, nor am I getting paid for my opinions. That is just how I think.

We will just have to keep using the old gear for the money, and once we can justify buying a whole new system we need to change everything at once. Well, except for the plugins we can carry over, but most hardware will have to change.

That is progress.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
But this (PT11) is a huge deal, it's more than jumping from MIX to HD. It's a whole new era. Game-changer..
Here is a famous all time quote that fits the relevant topic -

"Next level sh|t man, next level sh|t...."
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
My cousin is a programmer at NASA, he's a bright guy I'm going to ask him to look at the drivers and see if he would be willing to get it to work with PT 11 for me.

If you do that, Avid might well respond...with an army of lawyers. Reverse engineering is a violation of the license terms...
Remember that US laws apply ONLY in US soil, what if it is coded outside the US?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:20 AM

64 bits is not a game changer for me, on the other hand I have a beautiful ProControl with 32 Faders, I will keep working on it for a few more years before I ditch it, maybe I will buy PT11 to be able to open new sessions, but I wont be paying Avid for a new controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6224059.jpg (75.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-29-2013, 12:07 PM

Default Re: CPTK gone in PT11 - Upgrade to PTHD11?

Well we have the control 24 in our studio1 with the HD3 system and we built custom desk fitting it nicely with preamps, I/O etc on the sides. It would be difficult to have the control24 useless sitting in that desk.

Hoping someone dares to try it out.

Apogee Duet 2
Macbook pro i5 2.5GHZ, 10GB
Old 06-29-2013, 12:07 PM

We won't be switching over to PT11 until there are more 3rd party plug-in support. We can't work with the plug-ins available and we can't do revisions on older shows/commercials.

We can't think about moving to HDX AND replacing our ProControls at this point. Quite frankly, we don't like to fall behind when it comes to ProTools but it isn't worth it to us to spent all that money on new cards AND new controllers. I do think it is strange they can't update the profiles on their hardware controllers? I realize things move forward but this is a bit of a head scratcher to me when plenty of other older devices will work with PT11. I understand these items might not be supported, but I would think they would still work and newer features might not be available on the controllers...
Old 06-29-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo Orozco View Post
Remember that US laws apply ONLY in US soil, what if it is coded outside the US?
Remember that when a product and license is sold in a different country the license has been modified to be in compliance with the laws of that country.

And given the global nature of IP theft, there are all kinds of international task forces and independent investigators working on the problem...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-29-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
So how come we have Apogee X-HD cards which work wonderfully? I bet those are not licensed... But I do not really know. I'm just guessing. I think that if the Apogee cards were licensed, then Apogee would have (or should have) made a big point about it in their website.
That struck me as an interesting question, so I did a little digging and came up with...

Nothing.

However, I did find that Digidesign had early on licensed some technology from a third party. So, a best guess would be that Digidesign had obtained a non-exclusive license from a third party, and that the third party licensed it to all of the other manufacturers.

But, if anyone does actually know how the situation came about, I'd really like to hear about it...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-29-2013, 03:14 PM

Keep the posts coming. Power in numbers, if enough people express their feelings on the situation the higher the chance Avid might decide to write the drivers.

Come on Avid the ball is in your court.
Big Ben
Control 24