How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 06-21-2011, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Disappointed with PT 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
The point was not "who has HD." It was to show that guys like you complain about the price while others buy what they need.

I'm sure everyone is saying why keep engaging your logic. I'm trying not to but... PT has improved since Soundtools, Logic Pro since Notation, Windows since Windows 1.0, and humans since the square wheel. But you say that PT is being improved only because of demands like yours (not because like every other company Avid wants to satisfy the requests of customers)

Again, your logic. If someone likes PT then he is a fanboy or works for the company. I'm sure your girl is your biggest fan and believes everything you say about HD . You and I simply disagree. And I don't mind the discussion. It's a forum and only takes seconds to respond. No problem at all.
Fam I was joking about the comment that you disregarded with my fanboy comment. I use Pro Tools for recording and mixing and have been for some time. What makes the "Fanboy" in my eyes is when someone has something negative to say about a product here comes the "FB" to the rescue negating the truth of what the other user is saying by simply "If you don't like the product use blah blah" don't take a bullet for Avid yo. They have been doing just enough to get by for some time now. What would you rather use an Lynx Apogee or HD I/O? At no point am I simply saying F Avid they should die a horrible death. All I am saying is if they moved like Steinberg or Emagic/Apple Pro Tools would be a better product. It seems they feel they have no competition. Cakewalk 64 was out so many years ago. Why are you sticking up for this crap? Logic Cubase and Cakewalk in forms of improvements are leaps and bounds ahead of PT LE. Now I let me tell you what I love about Pro Tools since you must think I utterly hate about them by now. I love Elastik Audio I love audiosuite I love the improved midi/sidechain/automation/ the beautiful gui and let's not put this one under the bus TEMPLATES!!! Now that that is said how late where all those updates compared to the other companies? My points are valid sir. I have only been implementing how much I like this product more than the others but they need to step it up and compete even more because they are the standard. These other companies are suppose to be following them not the other way around. What has Avid done as of late that is ground breaking? And please don't say now you can use any soundcard they could have done that years ago. Same with Native HD.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
I ditched PT along with my BLA 002R hardware early last year from sheer frustration of not getting a stable system after years of actively trying to. Moved to REAPER, things are much more stable and also perform much better.

When news of PT9 dropped a couple months ago, I was thinking, too late AVID, Cockos' REAPER fits like a glove.

What has changed? Well, I had a small editing gig come by my way, unfortunately, it required PT. I could foresee more gigs missed, so I felt it was the smart thing to do to at least have a copy in my studio.

I figured, hey, PT9 is going to let me use my RME HDSPe(AES) card, should be a relatively pain-free acquisition.

Oh boy.. the pain and suffering has returned.

Here's a quick and dirty laundry list of disappointments.

1) Still 32-bit, I guess I can't use my 12GB of RAM.
2) Start up time is ridiculous, do we really have to rescan our plugs on every launch? We have no choice in the matter?
3) Can't change buffer playback without restarting PT? Wouldn't be too much of a hassle, but look at #2.
4) Still buggy, I'm facing the infamous Play/Pause (session doesn't play) bug. To fix it, I have to fiddle around with settings, and there is no sure-fire change this setting to make it work; It's different every time almost.
5) Sometimes my session plays, meters are lit up, but no audio. The fix? To go into my I/O, click and drag my outputs to different channel, then put them back again.
6) Incredibly slow, can't move plugs around or add plugs while session is playing.

Seriously AVID....

It's really shocking after using REAPER for a year... I can't believe the contrast. It's blinding.

I was expecting along with the new(not really) features, stability and bug fixes would come along as well. I'm afraid not.

Anyone else experiencing the disappointments and regrets with upgrading to PT9?

Damn! I don't have a single one of those problems. Has to be your system! However, number 3 does happen on my laptop when using ASIO4ALL. Must be something with 3rd party interfaces. Doesn't happen with my 003 or Mbox!

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 06-22-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
Damn! I don't have a single one of those problems. Has to be your system! ...
Workin' pretty well here, too.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 06-22-2011, 08:52 AM

Also, PT9 boots in around 30 seconds for me, which is MUCH faster than PT8.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 06-23-2011, 06:08 AM

For the Mac lovers: I have had just as many problems on Mac systems of any size and color, than on Windows. Pro Tools is the only software I know that can instantly freeze a Computer. Yes, Pro Tools 9 is no exception. Both Mac OS and Windows latest versions.

And what is it with the program windows? Why are they not skinned? In Windows 7, you have this big bulge around any window, consuming space. And why the heck can't the video screen be full screen WITHOUT BORDERS. Also on Mac OS you still have the border on top if the video. It's so stupid. ANY video player can play full screen, why can't Pro Tools?

Which version was it again that did not start up (in fact nothing happened at all when clicking the logo) after a new version of Internet Explorer was installed? I mean why does Pro tools have to interfere with ALL systems, why not just stick to the audio part, like any other 'normal' DAW.

Sorry I think I've started ranting here.. probably because I've been re-starting pro tools for the 4th time today. And I started only 3 hours ago. The updates do not solve anything I've encountered. It is very frustrating to see such an expensive DAW have so, so many problems.

The reason I use Pro Tools is because that's what I've learned at the film school, and because almost every studio uses it. I agree: Pro Tools works great when, on a rare occasion, you can work a complete day without bugs and problems. Could it be that almost every studio uses it because... almost every studio uses it?

Edit: I forgot to mention something: VST support?? No Only RTAS and TDM. And those plugins, made solely for Pro Tools and thereby very expensive, have to be updated to be compatible with a newer Pro Tools version? What the...? I could go on forever. Sorry I'll be quiet now..
Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb View Post
The reason I use Pro Tools is because that's what I've learned at the film school, and because almost every studio uses it. I agree: Pro Tools works great when, on a rare occasion, you can work a complete day without bugs and problems. Could it be that almost every studio uses it because... almost every studio uses it?
I use Pro Tools because it has the greatest editing workflow of any DAW I've ever used. It's also extremely stable. It works all day every day without crashing. I can literally count on one hand how many times Pro Tools 9 has crashed on me since I bought it last November. Could it possibly be your system, or user error...? No of course not, I'm just lucky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb View Post
Edit: I forgot to mention something: VST support?? No Only RTAS and TDM. And those plugins, made solely for Pro Tools and thereby very expensive, have to be updated to be compatible with a newer Pro Tools version? What the...? I could go on forever. Sorry I'll be quiet now..
It's been said before... but I'll say it again. Pro Tools will NEVER have VST support. VST is Stienberg. AU is Apple. RTAS is Avid. It is the way it is. If you want VSTs, you need a wrapper (VE Pro, Reaper, FXpanson, etc, etc, etc...) or get a DAW that uses VSTs.

Since when are RTAS more expensive than a VST or AU made by the same company...? You buy a plugin, generally it comes with all 3 verions, and it's the same price... I don't know any RTAS versions that are more expensive than any other version. Yes, TDM plugs are more expensive, but they run on dedicated hardware which the others do not. Completely different kind of plugin.

Seriously dude... you are using Pro Tools for the wrong reasons. If you feel it isn't suited for you... there are so many other DAWs out there.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-23-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrebelion View Post
Why are you sticking up for this crap? .

I'm not sticking up for anything. I just don't get the hate HD because it is more than I want to spend mindset. I also don't understand why you are referencing the past. Digidesign and LE are gone. Avid has clearly gone in a different direction.

Quote:
They have been doing just enough to get by for some time now. What would you rather use an Lynx Apogee or HD I/O?
Neither because I have no need for them. Also, just because another system is cheaper doesn't mean HD should be the same price or lower, or that it is some grand Avid conspiracy. It could simply mean that other companies are trying to compete and get their systems in the pro studios using HD.

Quote:
At no point am I simply saying F Avid they should die a horrible death. All I am saying is if they moved like Steinberg or Emagic/Apple Pro Tools would be a better product. It seems they feel they have no competition. Cakewalk 64 was out so many years ago. Why are you sticking up for this crap? Logic Cubase and Cakewalk in forms of improvements are leaps and bounds ahead of PT LE.
Cubase and Cakewalk are clearly the choice for composing for many due to certain features. Add Logic, Motif ES, Neko etc etc to the list. However, on the pro scene most of the audio recording, editing, and mixing is done in PT because it is the best at that. So who is really ahead of who? No one. These are all tools to get the job done.

BTW, it seems that Digi chose to make PT the strongest contender for non MIDI applications and clearly got the edge. Other DAWs focused more on MIDI and composing. That began to change with PT 7 and 8. I believe in time that PT will also be a top contender for MIDI and VI's.

Quote:
What has Avid done as of late that is ground breaking? And please don't say now you can use any soundcard they could have done that years ago. Same with Native HD.

What may be ground breaking to me or others may not be the case for you. No point in going there. Bottom line... Avid has three options HD, HD Native, and PT9. The price of HD and HD native are fine; I don't need them and pay the bills with PT9 and the Profire 2626.

We just have to agree to disagree on this subject my friend.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Since when are RTAS more expensive than a VST or AU made by the same company...? You buy a plugin, generally it comes with all 3 verions, and it's the same price...
You are right. But there are many VST plugins out there that are much cheaper but at least as good as the 'Big' companies.

Quote:
I use Pro Tools because it has the greatest editing workflow of any DAW I've ever used. It's also extremely stable. It works all day every day without crashing. (...) I'm just lucky...
Well either you are lucky or I have a lot of bad luck. And my fellow (ex-) students with it. Because we all suffered from the weirdest bugs. We all had different things. Any studio I've been has had problems with Pro Tools. Often also hardware-related. Switching on and off things, try this, try that until it finally works again. And it's not me because it's wasn't always me behind the keys. Do you use Pro Tools for feature film and the like? With small projects I have no problems but the bigger it gets the more trouble it gives. I'm writing this while waiting for an 'import session data' of a big project that is giving me lots of (technical) trouble, hoping it will run stable again for a while..

But I have to agree with you about the editing: I'm not sure if there's any DAW out there that works so well for editing audio files. But.. Automation can get really messy when trimming audio. And the Bin of course is also totally ridiculous. I don't want to see all the freakin' regions, I just want to see the audio files!

And what about panning of a stereo file? Huh? I can't control the global panning? Only the panning of the individual L and R tracks? What's the use of that?.. And what about volume control of a 5.0 surround track? What? Do I need an expensive third party plugin for controlling the volume of the surround channels? ..Oops, here I go again
Old 06-23-2011, 02:10 PM

Dism

you are a domass
Old 06-23-2011, 07:55 PM

I'm disappointed with this thread.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel