Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-24-2008, 12:47 PM

Default Get a laptop or salvage old machine??

I think my G4 has finally out lived it's usefulness, but then 8 years is a hell
of a run for a computer right? It's currently a 1.2GHz, 1.75GHz RAM and only has about 5.31GB remaining on the main HD. I've given some thought to buying a Dual 1.7GHz processor for this machine ($599), but then would still have to upgrade to Leopard in order to go to PT 8 when it comes out.

What's everybody's suggestions? Should I just get a new computer? If so which one? I'm very far from rich and I'm trying to avoid going the PC route. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Get a laptop or salvage old machine??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punx View Post
I think my G4 has finally out lived it's usefulness, but then 8 years is a hell
of a run for a computer right? It's currently a 1.2GHz, 1.75GHz RAM and only has about 5.31GB remaining on the main HD. I've given some thought to buying a Dual 1.7GHz processor for this machine ($599), but then would still have to upgrade to Leopard in order to go to PT 8 when it comes out.

What's everybody's suggestions? Should I just get a new computer? If so which one? I'm very far from rich and I'm trying to avoid going the PC route. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
I would go and buy one of the white macbooks while they are still around, if you need firewire that is. You may or may not know that the new macbooks and macbook pros do NOT have fw400 any more. The mbp still has an 800 port, but the macbook is usb only.

J