Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Re: CPTK gone in PT11 - Upgrade to PTHD11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
Just go through all recent threads and you'll see at least 3 important ones. The two that bother me the most (and should bother everyone) are:

1) Several cases of PT11 placing regions incorrectly in timeline after recording (e.g. you can record your own monitors with a click and can sound late when played back).

2) Several reports of offline bounce doing strange things or ignoring automation.

Right now, I'm way far from being confortable with the idea of using PT11 (at least without HDX hardware) for production-level work, and that is really sad. I really hope they can fix things properly soon, but I definitely prefere having to wait a while for a proper fix than having a quick semi-tested patch on what is supposed to be a clear rewrite of a great application.

For the moment being, my PT10/CPTK/Super Powerful Computer combo is working wonderfully. Yes, I'd like to be able to go 64 bit and get many of the things that PT11 is suppossedly offering, but I'll just wait. And this is the first time I decide to wait, I've always got the latest PT version as soon as it's on the store.

Francisco
Same old story.. it took them over 6 months to address the GUI freeze issue for windows on pt 10 and it also had many more months of missing aax plugins. I know the game now. PT 11 won't deliver for another year. After using their customers' time, money and aggravation while they beta test for free. But there will be plenty of users who reply telling you that it is your equipment setup and they couldn't be happier with everything.

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers
Old 07-16-2013, 08:54 PM

BTW, I'm wondering if anyone else in this thread was thinking of dumping their CPTK. Supposedly you can't transfer the license to someone. That's absolutely crazy for something that retailed for 2K.

Avid=worst run company ever. Period.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualsizeaudio View Post
BTW, I'm wondering if anyone else in this thread was thinking of dumping their CPTK. Supposedly you can't transfer the license to someone. That's absolutely crazy for something that retailed for 2K.

Avid=worst run company ever. Period.
Pretty harsh statement for something that's not true.
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 07-17-2013, 12:27 AM

I'm certainly not rushing to upgrade, taking time to work with PT vanilla on stereo projects and Cubase for surround work, while I evaluate whether that's going to suit me.

I have two PT10 licences so I'm seriously considering selling CPTK and one of the PT10 licences. My second licence is a student one, with over three years of free upgrades left on it, so its a no-brainer to hold on to that one.

Most of my third party pro tools plugins have now ported to AU format as well, so I'm not tied into PT as tightly as I was back when companies like McDSP and Synchro Arts were pro tools only. In fact, my only pro tools exclusive plugins nowadays are those sold under the digi/avid banner. The only things I'd really miss are TL Space and X-Form, which aren't yet ported to aax2 anyway, so I can't use them in PT11, and the moogerfooger bundle.

My level of disappointment at the manner of CPTK's withdrawal is not diminishing with time. Avid's lack of honesty in it's declared rationale for justifying the withdrawal, its appallingly poor standards of official communication on a variety of issues surrounding the PT11 upgrade generally, its obviously on-the-fly policy making to cater for unforeseen scenarios, the consequential cost (now and on-going) of HD tier upgrade pricing to retain CPTK features, and the locking of licences to the original owner from PT11 onwards, are all factors leading to me looking very hard at whether it is time to start weaning myself off Avid's particular brand of wallet-lightening products.

In fact, I'm wondering whether the thing I'll miss most about pro tools is the interaction (both good and bad) with fellow DUCers
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 07-17-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
My level of disappointment at the manner of CPTK's withdrawal is not diminishing with time. Avid's lack of honesty in it's declared rationale for justifying the withdrawal, its appallingly poor standards of official communication on a variety of issues surrounding the PT11 upgrade generally, its obviously on-the-fly policy making to cater for unforeseen scenarios, the consequential cost (now and on-going) of HD tier upgrade pricing to retain CPTK features, and the locking of licences to the original owner from PT11 onwards, are all factors leading to me looking very hard at whether it is time to start weaning myself off Avid's particular brand of wallet-lightening products.
This is EXACTLY where I am at. I currently have an intern here at my studio. He has been watching this whole fiasco, and is convinced after it that the way to go would be to invest his time into learning the new version of Logic. Personally, I think he is correct.

Think about how dishonest the non-tranferability of the CPTK license is. This is a software that retails for 2K, and to find out that ownership is not transferable you would have to stumble on some remote page, most likely only when you wanted to do the transfer. I'm looking at the box mine came in, and NO WHERE on it does this say the license is non transferable. My wife, who is an attorney thinks that unless it is clearly stated on the package when you purchase it, that this might not be legal. In fact, there are specific laws in the EU that protect against this, which I imagine is a place where Avid wants to do business?

It's just shocking.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post

I must say, I'm in near 100% agreement with Nigel on most of this, aside from the weaning from Pro Tools angle. I'm too heavily invested, and too familiar with Pro Tools to consider another platform.
While the CPTK issue doesn't effect me directly, I do stand in solidarity with those who got hosed with this fiasco.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:24 AM

I would agree with all that is said here in regards to the toolkit being needed but Avid has made HD the cheapest it's ever been. So it seems like to me Avid is meeting us 1/2 way. At least they didn't make everyone buy HDX.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 07-17-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieshowers View Post
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...ix-accounting/

It's almost as if they are above the law. It feels like this company is run by the government or something. Something is fishy for sure. And I wonder if the people who continue to justify their every action are shareholders with money at stake. This is definitely one for the text books. Many future businessmen and businesswomen could learn exactly how to take a great product and suck every breath of goodness from it.
link says.
It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 AM

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...ix-accounting/

It's almost as if they are above the law. It feels like this company is run by the government or something. Something is fishy for sure. And I wonder if the people who continue to justify their every action are shareholders with money at stake. This is definitely one for the text books. Many future businessmen and businesswomen could learn exactly how to take a great product and suck every breath of goodness from it.

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers

Last edited by louieshowers; 07-17-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:31 AM

People are just not happy with Avid's decisions lately.
This has been an eye opener for me.
PreSonus 1824c
Faderport 16
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12
Studio One 6.5 Pro
Logic Pro X