Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2013, 11:06 PM

Default Re: CPTK gone in PT11 - Upgrade to PTHD11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
Students who purchased Pro Tools at the educational discount and are eligible for free or discounted upgrades unfortunately are not eligible for discounted pricing on the CPTK to PT HD11 upgrade. Why? Since neither CPTK or Pro Tools HD were ever offered at student discounts, those products are not eligible for student pricing.

Option for students with PT + CPTK include:

1. Upgrade to Pro Tools 11 under the applicable student plan (some are eligible for 4 years of free upgrades, some are eligible for a discount) and have the flexibility to run Pro Tools 11 without CPTK, and run a co-installed version of PT10 with CPTK
2. Upgrade to Pro Tools 11 HD for $ 599 US MSRP
3. Upgrade to Pro Tools 11 under the applicable student plan (some are eligible for 4 years of free upgrades, some are eligible for a discount) and leave behind the CPTK feature set.

Thats the scoop.... and this wont change.

Marianna
In regards to this official announcement, I'm wondering:

I've just received my free student upgrade to PT11 and I'm very interested in trying it out. However, if I accept the upgrade and start using PT11 vanilla alongside my PT10 + CPTK, will I forfeit the right to upgrade to PT11 HD for $599 at a later date?

Given there is currently no upgrade path from PT11 vanilla to PT11 HD, it seems I may get stuck. Can someone please confirm how this works?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslineb View Post
In regards to this official announcement, I'm wondering:

I've just received my free student upgrade to PT11 and I'm very interested in trying it out. However, if I accept the upgrade and start using PT11 vanilla alongside my PT10 + CPTK, will I forfeit the right to upgrade to PT11 HD for $599 at a later date?

Given there is currently no upgrade path from PT11 vanilla to PT11 HD, it seems I may get stuck. Can someone please confirm how this works?
No, you will still be able to upgrade if you wait, and as of today, customers in your situation (with the PT11/10 license) do have to wait for that particular exchange to be added to the store.

It is taking longer than I thought it would, but I have been assured that the missing option to upgrade from the Pro Tools 11/10 bundled license + CPTK to the Pro Tools HD 11/10 bundled license will be added to the Avid store early next week.

These upgrades for CPTK owners to Pro Tools HD 11/10 will be available for some time, no end date has been set.

The $599 price will be the same whether you are exchanging CPTK + a single Pro Tools 10 license, a Pro Tools 10/9 bundled license, or a Pro Tools 11/10 bundled license.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:37 PM

Thank you for the fast reply Bruce. That answered my question perfectly and I'm very glad to hear I can proceed with my upgrade. Cheers.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
No, you will still be able to upgrade if you wait, and as of today, customers in your situation (with the PT11/10 license) do have to wait for that particular exchange to be added to the store.

It is taking longer than I thought it would, but I have been assured that the missing option to upgrade from the Pro Tools 11/10 bundled license + CPTK to the Pro Tools HD 11/10 bundled license will be added to the Avid store early next week.

These upgrades for CPTK owners to Pro Tools HD 11/10 will be available for some time, no end date has been set.
The $599 price will be the same whether you are exchanging CPTK + a single Pro Tools 10 license, a Pro Tools 10/9 bundled license, or a Pro Tools 11/10 bundled license.

In order to avoid having you getting beaten up today, does this actually mean:

A single Pro Tools 10 license + CPTK

A Pro Tools 10/9 bundled license + CPTK

A Pro Tools 11/10 bundled license + CPTK

I'm sure you know by now that some here might read this as: "A Pro Tools 11/10 bundled license (with no CPTK)".

You guys have taken enough hits of late...hopefully your reply can save you from another one...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 07-05-2013, 03:22 AM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post

In order to avoid having you getting beaten up today, does this actually mean:

I'm sure you know by now that some here might read this as: "A Pro Tools 11/10 bundled license (with no CPTK)".

You guys have taken enough hits of late...hopefully your reply can save you from another one...
Yes, that is correct:

If I wasn't clear enough, it's because I'm watching Cloud Atlas (really).
Old 07-05-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Yes, that is correct:

If I wasn't clear enough, it's because I'm watching Cloud Atlas (really).
Seeing as people who upgrade to Pro Tools 11 have already paid the upgrade price to get to 11, wouldn't it make sense to have that pricing at $300, not $600, as that would be the difference in pricing? In another thread you assumed someone who upgraded to 11 must have come from 9, but what if they came from 10? Then they're paying to upgrade to 11 twice, which isn't fair by any means.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
In another thread you assumed someone who upgraded to 11 must have come from 9
Because they did just that if you are talking about that specific customer. If they had not upgraded from PT9 to PT10 (which included a free upgrade to 11), then their upgrade price would have been $999 instead of $599 to upgrade to PTHD 11/10.

That was a real example, not a hypothetical. There are a number of different ways a customer might have Pro Tools 11, and at different costs.

So unless you are dealing with specific details for a specific customer, you can't assume that someone is being charged twice.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Because they did just that if you are talking about that specific customer. If they had not upgraded from PT9 to PT10 (which included a free upgrade to 11), then their upgrade price would have been $999 instead of $599 to upgrade to PTHD 11/10.

That was a real example, not a hypothetical. There are a number of different ways a customer might have Pro Tools 11, and at different costs.

So unless you are dealing with specific details for a specific customer, you can't assume that someone is being charged twice.
I understand that, however how can the system differentiate between how they came to Pro Tools 11? If someone had in fact upgraded from 10 to 11 instead of 9 to 11, the system would still see it the same way, charging them the same, would it not? Then the person would be getting charged twice to upgrade to 11 and then again to HD, would they not?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:

Here is my specific details... I purchased an upgrade from PT10 to PT11 a few weeks ago for $99. I was not aware I would be able to upgrade my CPTK + that PT10 license to PT11HD for $599.

When you make that offer available it will still cost me $599 to upgrade my CPTK + PT11 license to PT11HD. So it will end up costing me essentially $698 for something I could have gotten for $599.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:15 PM

The real question is how you got an upgrade from 10 to 11 for only $99, when it's normally $299.