Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2004, 09:45 PM

Default G5 audio problems with Digi 002r

I’d be curious to hear from any Digi 002r users who have purchased a Mac G5. For those considering a G5 purchase there are many (including myself) who are having noise problems coming from ALL audio outs, including digital and from USB & FireWire conncections. I was anxious to hook up my Pro Tools Digi 002r hardware and get cooking with the G5. To my surprise, There was a chirping noise along with a high pitch scratchy-squelching sound. I have since learned that there is apparently a problem with the G5 power supply creating the noise which has to do with the processor threading. Apple has been aware of the problem for some months. So far they have been replacing the power supply without much luck of a fix. However, as of Jan 27th Apple Care said they had finally found a power supply that fixes the problem. That has yet to be verified by actual users. There are numerous discussions about this problem on the Apple site and on Google under "G5 Noise." Some people have downloaded a software program used to test applications called CHUD. This apparently helps but Apple DOES NOT recommend this. Unless I have missed a posting there is a rather odd silence about this issue from Digidesign. I could only find a couple postings. Considering the size of affected customers, and since this is apparently an Apple issue I would think Digi would be anxious to let customers know it is not a problem with Digi hardware. I know of many audio retailers who have chosen not to sell Digi hardware to G5 owners until Apple finds a fix. I’d be interested in hearing from others on this issue.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:33 PM

Default Re: G5 audio problems with Digi 002r

I was hoping the problem was only affecting a small percentage of users as I just ordered my G5 today. I was debating whether or not to get one but at the NAMM show, I saw G5's everywhere and noone mentioned that they had any audio problems with them. I guess I'll have to see if I get lucky or not.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:00 AM

I haven't heard of that problem, and have not experienced it. My G5 is about 4 months old.
002R/PTLE 7.3.1
Old 01-28-2004, 08:36 AM

how are your units powered? by that i mean i had a horrid noise coming from my 002r until i replaced the ((???)goose rack mount power supply with a real one i changed to the Furman PL-PLUs and poof! the noises went away.

just a thought.

ken;
Old 01-28-2004, 11:35 AM

Which G5 do you have? I've been using a dual 1.8 for 3 weeks with no noise at all.

I'm curious if it is a particular model like the early single 1.8 ones?

C
Old 01-28-2004, 11:47 AM

do a search going back a ways (nov/dec) on the duc , something like 002 noise G5 noise.

it can certainly be an issue, Myself installing CHUD and disable NAP (chug and nod), and a few grounding issues took care of most of it. I am curious what the other users did? If they just live with chud, as I. I can turn the processor or graphics noise as i like to refer to it , on and off at will by utilizing the nap (on/off). Actually setting the hardware buffers to 128 and dae to minumum puts the system in a place to have the noise effect most pronounced. and Who really knows the cause, could be software, or hardware design, or firewire audio, or digi, or apple. (many motu people get it , and probally some built in users as well).
There are a lot of apple threads on this (firewire audio G5), and people getting new power supplies, logic boards, etc (with mixed if any results) There also sems to be some users with no problem at all., I assume.

humm
Old 01-28-2004, 11:50 AM

Oh yes, there are a lot of guys having this problem with the G5 and firewire soundcards!! The chud will take care of the problem, or at least the most of it. Many including myself, have experienced that the problem STARTS after apr. a mounth of use. I have the problem on my onboard analog outs, but so far my mbox has no problems with it! It could have something to do with the mbox having usb-powersupply. (internal) Digi 002r has an external 220V (110 in the USA?). So I have no plans to get a new soundcard...

Apple will probably never admit that there's an issue.
B.R. Tubz