Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2014, 07:03 PM

Default Error DAE cant get audio from drives fast enough -9073 error on BIG MIX SESSION

Hi I keep getting this error-DAE can't get audio from drives fast enough. Your drive may be to slow or fragmented.(-9073)

My Pro Tools is the latest update checked today, it's still good from last month or so May 28th I think was the last one. 10.3.9 Oh and I'm using Motu HD 192 with the 424 card for my pcie card.

So im working on an album with 10 songs about 80 tracks per song.
My computer is a custom built-AMD 8 core FX 8350, with a Noctua CPU fan, 1100 watt power supply, 3 case fans, 8gb ram, 3 hard drives (OS HD-WD Black 500GB), (Recording Hard Drive- Lacie 1tb), Storage Hard Drive-Seagate 3tb, and a crappy 1tb usb external for more storage that I don't use for Pro Tools but it is hooked up and there.

Windows and Pro Tools Software runs on the WD Black 500mb, all wavs and recording is stored on the Lacie 1tb HD. The Seagate 3tb has some of the larger plugins like Nebula stored on it as well as samples, and drum hits(for triggerd drums,,,for apptrigga and Slate stuff). I am not using any samples or triggered drums on this session/album BTW.

Pro Tools should be setup to specs per Avids recomendations.

Would running the normal plugins like Wavs and the like on the OS hard drive, and then the bigger plugins like Nebula from the Seagate 3tb HD cause this error?

Also im not using many plugs so far, only on 2nd day of mixing. So lets guess and say im using 20 plugins so far. Eq and some 1076s on drum buss and to level out the vox with the blue 76, 2 tube and tape Nebula plugs on the mixbuss to mix into.

PT says my system usage is as follows-
CPU Native 51%
CPU Clip 14%
Disk 52%

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kinda stuck, pissed, and all that jazz. I've mixed way bigger files than this on a slower computer before without any problems, of course that was with Cubase so....

Please help and
Thanks again,
Chris M.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:44 PM

Default Error DAE cant get audio from drives fast enough -9073 error on BIG MIX SESSION

Where is your SiSoft Sandra report? Run it with all your disks attached. Sandra reports are expected/required here with problems with Windows PCs.

Of special interest will be the specs of that Lacie drive (just knowing the brand tells us basically jack) and how it attaches to the PC.

What interface driver version? What session sample rate?

What are *all* the playback engine settings?

Is your system fully optimized, every last thing done?

What standard debugging steps have you tried? E.g, Trashing prefs and databases? Increase IO buffer size? Tested with a clean new session? Are all your plugins installed (just installed, not even instantiated) up to date/compatible with Pro Tools and your OS version? Have you tried removing all third party plugin files from Pro Tools? Etc. Etc.

Start at the "Help us Help you..." Link above on this and every other DUC web page.

Stop wasting time looking at usage meters, they will not capable of telling you anything useful WRT this issue.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:56 PM

And Nebula is VST only right? So how are you hosting running that in Pro Tools 10? Be sure to remove that and all wrapper technology and other third party plugins as you test fir bad plugins.

Plugins and wrappers are normally best installed in the system drive with Pro Tools, you at least need the wrapper installed there to work at all. VI samples can be moved to a dedicated sample drive if they are heavily used/take a huge space.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Error DAE cant get audio from drives fast enough -9073 error on BIG MIX SESSION

K gotta download that SiSoft Darryl. My computer is fully optimized to the T.
My drivers are all up to date, as of yesterday, including the Motu drivers. it's running at 44.1 right now. I can go up to 2048 on my buffer for Motu but Pro tools on recognizes 1024 for non HD version. Don't have the 1500$ to upgrade to that. Playback is max on the delay compensation, 8 cores used. The rest have to check can't remember. All HD's are 7200rpm and internal don't know any technical jargon en them besides that.

"What standard debugging steps have you tried? E.g, Trashing prefs and databases? Increase IO buffer size? Tested with a clean new session? Are all your plugins installed (just installed, not even instantiated) up to date/compatible with Pro Tools and your OS version? Have you tried removing all third party plugin files from Pro Tools? Etc. Etc."

Buffer size is maxed out when mixing, I defragged HD's, ran CCleaner to clean up computer. Checked all drivers are up to date on everything.
Don't know what trashing prefs or databases means. For the plugins I just installed them so not sure....."not even instantiated" except that they are compatible with Windows 7 service pack 1(my OS).

Removing all third party plugins works just fine. It only happens when I add plugins and mostly Nebula plugins(1 Nebula plugin uses 1 to 3 full cores of cpu power for Reverbs their big cpu suckers).

I will check by tomorrow with that program you said.
Thanks.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:35 PM

the link I mentioned describes in detail how to do those things like trashing prefs etc.

All your playback engine settings please. Start with NCPU=7 so Pro tools has a guaranteed CPU core to run in itself. You might also try NCPU=6 given the architecture of this CPU. Uncheck ignore errors and leave it unchecked while debugging, see if other errors get thrown.

I would normally not recommend an AMD processor for Pro Tools, with an Intel Core i7 or Xeon E5 being preferred. Building a Pro Tools PC can be very fussy, and there are great threads on recommended components/systems on DUC.