How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-19-2019, 12:14 PM

Default Re: New subscription deal???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizziF View Post
The way this is sounding, it reminds me a lot of Sonar before Cakewalk got sold off.
OMG I was thinking the EXACT same thing. It isn't exactly the same as CW sold forever licenses of sonar... in this case, could AVID be trying to sell as many license renewals as possible at 99.00 to get a needed cash influx before the sh*t hits the fan?
Old 06-20-2019, 11:14 AM

You need your head examined if you surrender software you already own and "crossgrade" to a rental subscription. I paid a grand for my HD/Ultimate licence no way am I handing it back, and then continue paying to use it! Are they insane!!!? Its an attractive deal to those who cannot afford a perpetual Ultimate licence, for vanilla users they can rent as they need it. I also don't have a problem with the update plan, Waves have had one for years, but I only want to update when I need to. I've been reading posts here and elsewhere all day as I only found out about it this morning, and by almost all accounts everyone is horrified. Just reiterate what every other perpetual owner has stated,

I.WILL.NEVER.SURRENDER.MY PERPETUAL.LICENCE!

I'll jump ship first. Reaper is supposed to be good.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloj View Post
You need your head examined if you surrender software you already own and "crossgrade" to a rental subscription. I paid a grand for my HD/Ultimate licence no way am I handing it back, and then continue paying to use it! Are they insane!!!? Its an attractive deal to those who cannot afford a perpetual Ultimate licence, for vanilla users they can rent as they need it. I also don't have a problem with the update plan, Waves have had one for years, but I only want to update when I need to. I've been reading posts here and elsewhere all day as I only found out about it this morning, and by almost all accounts everyone is horrified. Just reiterate what every other perpetual owner has stated,

I.WILL.NEVER.SURRENDER.MY PERPETUAL.LICENCE!

I'll jump ship first. Reaper is supposed to be good.
I suppose a couple of people will do that. Just to backup your assertion, the entry point to Pro Tools historically has been a non-trivial amount of money. The license rental cost for one product is also non-trivial. Handing avid your license for a discount on a subscription that you have no guarantee of price change isn't a good idea.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:18 PM

After thinking about this for a few days, I've purchased another DAW. There are some benefits for subscriptions for some people, but not for all. Maybe it's not a large enough portion for them to care about. I don't know.

I could see a small increase for the perpetual renewal, but to jump from $99 to $199. Even though $199 is nothing for me, in my opinion, that's not a good deal for what you get(based on what I've seen in the product over the past two years - although the latest version has been pretty stable on my machine), especially if you're surrendering the ability to open Pro Tools if you decide not to renew. But I'm just one guy and I can guess how much one guys opinion means.

I read somewhere on this board that this reminded someone of what happened with Cakewalk. I found that interesting because that product is available again, has ongoing development, gets frequent updates, and is FREE. I know Avid is a much different company than BandLab, but maybe there's a business model lesson in there somewhere??

Personally, I really like Pro Tools 2019. It's going to be a pain to migrate some of the stuff I've been working on. I get that the company might need more revenue. But the way I'm seeing this, they don't want perpetual users any more. Maybe I'm wrong, but ok, message received.

I miss my multi-track analog tape and gear!
Old 06-24-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
I suppose a couple of people will do that. Just to backup your assertion, the entry point to Pro Tools historically has been a non-trivial amount of money. The license rental cost for one product is also non-trivial. Handing avid your license for a discount on a subscription that you have no guarantee of price change isn't a good idea.
Actually for NEW SUBSCRIPTIONS, even at $24.92 per month, a "Native/Vanilla" Annual Subscription is ALOT MORE than a Perpetual License annual cost...$299.04. If you get hit with the Subscription Price increase to $29.99 per month the cost goes to $359.00.

SO...you can buy 3 YEARS of Perpetual Support right now, end up saving $ up front and another $600 to $720 by just staying where you are with a Perpetual License.

In other words, you can get 3 YEARS of Perpetual License Support for the price of a ONE year Annual Subscription AND save a boatload of cash IF you buy those 3 Years of Support BEFORE July 1, 2019.

The cost for EXISTING Perpetual Licensees to "CROSSGRADE" to Subscription is $99 BUT you GIVE UP your Perpetual License. It's the SAME cost as if you just bought a single year of Perpetual License Support!

Whoever thought this up in Sales and Marketing should be ashamed of themselves and those who approved it should be flogged, IMO. :)

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield

Last edited by LightWing; 06-24-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:37 AM

yup staying with the perp.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquic View Post
I'll be standing in PT12 until humanity is extinguished.

I think that maybe because Trump, American companies believe that they can do with people what they want without consequences. The same goes for sinking the development of the 5G in Europe crushing Huawei, than crushing Mexico or Europe with tariffs, than convert ProTools lifetime users in suscriptors with no reason, and with no real update of his software that is worth paying a single dollar more.

As soon as I finish with the album that I am producing, I am going to give a chance to other softwares, because I think I'm getting off the boat.

Congratulations AVID, I have been a ProTools User since 1997 when I was in ProTools III. You got it! I'm out!
Here in America, we call it fixing all the decades of horrible trade deals with other countries......No pain, No Gain.........

I don't agree with Trump on a lot, but as far as his trade decisions, I'm all in with him all the freaking way!!! WAAAAY overdue....
Old 06-25-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoolsLover View Post
Here in America, we call it fixing all the decades of horrible trade deals with other countries......No pain, No Gain.........

I don't agree with Trump on a lot, but as far as his trade decisions, I'm all in with him all the freaking way!!! WAAAAY overdue....

I am totally with you PROTOOLSLOVER:):):)
Old 06-26-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Someone who wants to save 200/year?
COMPLETELY UNTRUE FOR NATIVE/VANILLA USERS!

If you go subscription BEFORE July 1, 2019 @ $24.92 times 12 months your ANNUAL cost is $299

If you go subscription AFTER July 1, 2019 @ $29.99 times 12 months your ANNUAL cost is $360!

A perpetual license for one year BEFORE July 1, 2019 is $99.

A perpetual license for one year AFTER July 1, 2019 is $199.

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield