Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 09-16-2020, 02:10 PM

Default Feature request: Mixer window should have a wider maximum width

Feature request: Mixer window should have a wider maximum width

I’m hoping a future version of ProTools will allow the mixer window to be quite a bit wider than the maximum now.

Let me explain

I just got an ultrawide 49” monitor for my MIXER window, and hooked it up to 2020 Mac Pro that has a very nice graphics card in it.

Resolution for my *mixer* window is 5120 x 1440 and this is great as I can see what I want to on the mixer (including 3 sends open, EQ curve, delay compensation, 10 inserts, etc)

However I can’t drag the mixer window all the way open, from left to right. It will open only enough (left to right) to allow me to see about 49 faders in wide view.

See attached pic.

Yes I know i can see more faders if I switch to narrow fader view, but that isn’t my point.

Note the yellow area to the right of the mixer window. I want to be able to view MORE faders in this yellow area, by dragging the mixer window to be wider. PT 2020.9 does not allow me to do this.

With many people mixing hundreds of audio tracks (myself included) it seems about time that the mixer window could be made wider .... to be 5120 pixels wide at least.

(My edit window is on a separate monitor, so not I dont want to have my edit window on the same monitor.)

Anyone know anyone at AVID who can maybe take a look at this limitation, and see about maybe changing it in a future version of ProTools?

and no, selecting a different (lower) screen resolution on the Mac Pro does not solve the problem.

I want to run at 5120 x 1440 to see the *height* details I want on the PT mixer. (3 sends open, EQ curve, delay compensation, etc)

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49 wide faders visible.jpg (42.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-16-2020, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Feature request: Mixer window should have a wider maximum width

Great idea, and if Avid ever decides to accommodate 4K screens, maybe this would/could be a byproduct. You mentioned narrow view, but there is a 3rd option that is undocumented. If you use the "fat meters" hack while in narrow mix, it actually creates a compromise where the tracks are wider than the typical "narrow" view, but not as wide as normal. That's the setting I use all the time(the hack being hitting all 3 modifier keys and clicking on any track meter in the MIX window).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-16-2020, 05:25 PM

There doesn't seem to be a good reason to limit the window width and number of mixer channels in today's computer environment, given the availability of powerful enough graphics cards and support for multiple monitors. Just let the OS and video hardware handle it. At least allow up to the number of voices supported.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 09-16-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Great idea, and if Avid ever decides to accommodate 4K screens, maybe this would/could be a byproduct. You mentioned narrow view, but there is a 3rd option that is undocumented. If you use the "fat meters" hack while in narrow mix, it actually creates a compromise where the tracks are wider than the typical "narrow" view, but not as wide as normal. That's the setting I use all the time(the hack being hitting all 3 modifier keys and clicking on any track meter in the MIX window).
Fat meters FTW! I'm glad it hasn't gone away, after all these years.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:10 AM

This size limit also affects the vertical size of the mix window. I recently got a 4K screen for my setup (Mac) and the mix window won't fill the vertical height of the screen (although the Edit window will), so I cannot have my mixer setup with all the views open that I'd like.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:07 PM

For the love of everything, I'm still waiting for Windows users to be able to detach the mixer so that I can put it on my second monitor. It's beyond crazy that in 2020 this hasn't been fixed. Nuendo, Reaper, Studio One and Ableton all can do it.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 09-17-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
For the love of everything, I'm still waiting for Windows users to be able to detach the mixer so that I can put it on my second monitor. It's beyond crazy that in 2020 this hasn't been fixed. Nuendo, Reaper, Studio One and Ableton all can do it.

tg
Not quite sure what you mean. I have had MIX and EDIT windows on 2 screens for years.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-17-2020, 06:23 PM

I assume he’s talking about the grey window that sits behind the edit and mix window. That’s still a thing on Windows systems right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I assume he’s talking about the grey window that sits behind the edit and mix window. That’s still a thing on Windows systems right?
Yep. That's the one. It makes things cumbersome. I go back and forth between PT on my PC at home and my Mac at the office, so I see the difference daily.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 10-27-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
There doesn't seem to be a good reason to limit the window width and number of mixer channels in today's computer environment, given the availability of powerful enough graphics cards and support for multiple monitors. Just let the OS and video hardware handle it. At least allow up to the number of voices supported.
so actually this should be more of a BUG report. Not a feature request.

Hopefully they are working on this.