Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Engineer is giving my band information, IS IT THE TRUTH??

I understand this is an old thread, and forgive me for ressurecting it, but my take has always been that communication is key. When I do a mix for someone, usually flate rate per song, I simply request consolidated, EDITED files that I will load into a new, clean session. It usually helps if they give me the session tempo. I then will listen through the raw tracks, and if there is anything that needs to be addressed (maybe they didn't edit enough; maybe a vocal needs tuning here and there; maybe a drum needs replacement), I will communicate my thoughts with the band. I propose that if they prefer, I can perform the edits for another fee. I state beforehand that the end product will be the 2-track mix. I do, however, always archive my sessions so they can be recalled if the client wants. This is important, since I offer that I will do as many tweaks needed and they will not be billed until satisfied. I do not ask for a PT session, and I do not give out my sessions. You give me the files/stems, I give you a finished 2 track ready to be sent off to an ME.

Is that a good approach, or am I missing something?

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 12-01-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell1532 View Post
Is that a good approach, or am I missing something?
No. I expect my clients pay much much more if they want to take the final PT session away with them after all is said and done. Basically they're hiring for creating the 2-track mix and that's it. If they want more, they pay more.

And I'm fine with it as whatever reason for placing a certain plugin or tweaking a certain setting lives and dies with me. Sure, they get the final setting, but not the process that lead there. They also need to purchase that plugin to even open it so as far as I'm concerned, it's just a final setting. But it costs more money. Once I explain this most agree to settle for the 2-track but some apparently want to pay the premium. Again, all very fine with me
Old 12-01-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
As a mixer, anything I get is a completely from scratch remix.

I don't see much point in preserving something that you don't like.

Just hire someone else (why would you think you could mix any better?) where you like their work.

Gear won't be an issue with a new mixer.

And the guy is telling you the truth. In fact, without further payment I doubt that he's going to reprint pieces of his out board gear for you.

I don't know any professional mixers who'll do that for you.
Good answer. When I get someone else's session to mix the first thing I do is strip out everything, every single plugin, etc. When you build a mix you start at the beginning.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:39 PM

a moldy oldie but a goldie goodie!