Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 06-09-2020, 06:40 PM

Default Protools 12 - greyed out tracks - but still play

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums and I had something come up in Protools 12 that I have not encountered before. I tried to search the forums before posting this but wasn’t able to come across the same issue. So apologies in advance if this is already answered somewhere. I accidentally clicked something in my Protools 12 session and I do not know what in which all my tracks turned grey and when I try to edit the frequency bars on each track they seem doubled and it’s making it difficult for me to edit/select. Other threads ask about greyed out tracks that are muted but the sound still plays in my situation. The sound is still active on the tracks so I do not believe they are muted. Has anyone encountered this and how can I turn this off so that I can go back to working on my project? I have included a picture to illustrate what I mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

system specs:
macOS Catalina version 10.15.4
Computer model and processor speed - iMac - 3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
64 GB 2667 MHzDD4
Using Focusrite - Scarlett Solo
Pro tools 12
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greyedout.jpg (51.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-10-2020, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Protools 12 - greyed out tracks - but still play

I can't tell much by the pic due to low resolution(which happens a lot when doing this). When you the sound is still active, does that mean you can hear playback? Or is it just meters moving but no sound from your speakers? If you hear sound, then all is working so maybe its a setting in Prefs re track coloring. If you see meters but DON'T hear any audio, then I would look at your output settings on tracks and on the OUTPUT tab of your IO Setup as this points to a non-working output path.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-10-2020, 04:10 PM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply! To be clear there is still sound so sound is not the concern. Because all the tracks are greyed out, when I click on one to edit, the track will not get darker or select. It doesn’t matter whether its a s stereo file, midi file etc… when I click on it, it shows that its doubled and I can’t change the db without it being doubled and it won’t let me re-record or edit the track. I have attached another shot to show what I mean. I’m looking through all my preferences but I don’t know where to look or what I could have clicked.

Thank you,

64 GB 2667 MHzDD4
Pro tools 12
Attached Images
File Type: png select.png (22.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-10-2020, 04:45 PM

check that they are assigned to a proper output.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:54 PM

Hi C,

All the trackers are assigned to a proper output.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:20 PM

Catalina and PT12 just are not compatible, period.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:30 PM

Hi Jfreak,

Protools works fine with all my sessions so it’s not a compatibility issue with the OS It’s a setting that was accidentally activated that turned the tracks grey. I’m just trying to figure out what setting that was?
Old 06-10-2020, 11:57 PM

Compatibility info here.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:31 AM

Greyed out tracks are tracks that don't have an input assigned. Often happens when the playback engine is switched to built-in output. But as mentioned Catalina is not the island you want to be on with Pro Tools 12. You will almost certainly find problems.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboford View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums and I had something come up in Protools 12 that I have not encountered before. I tried to search the forums before posting this but wasn’t able to come across the same issue. So apologies in advance if this is already answered somewhere. I accidentally clicked something in my Protools 12 session and I do not know what in which all my tracks turned grey and when I try to edit the frequency bars on each track they seem doubled and it’s making it difficult for me to edit/select. Other threads ask about greyed out tracks that are muted but the sound still plays in my situation. The sound is still active on the tracks so I do not believe they are muted. Has anyone encountered this and how can I turn this off so that I can go back to working on my project? I have included a picture to illustrate what I mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

system specs:
64 GB 2667 MHzDD4
Pro tools 12
It looks like you’ve accidentally switched all tracks to volume view instead of clips? Press and hold option and then change them all back to clips view maybe?