Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 03:07 PM

Default managing recording level with m box

hwat is the best way to set up volume levels when recording with the m box? right now i have to try it first and then re-record...best setup is? right now i have roland X8 turned half way up...mixer levels at around 8-9...where does the mbox gain need to be set? it is around 75% up right now...and input playback on the mbox should be where? it all seems very klugey
Old 12-30-2004, 03:26 PM

Default Re: managing recording level with m box

check for levels on the levelmeters in your mixwindow
Old 12-31-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Re: managing recording level with m box

Sam, max the volume on the X8, then play. watch the little red light on the front of your M-box. If it blinks, turn the gain knob down on the M, till it doesn't. If the little red light does not come on, then turn the gain knob on the M up, until it does.then turn it back down, till it doesn't.
Same thing for your Mic. plug it into the mixer, and sing at your normal volume. there should be a little red light on your mixer. adjust the gain knob for that input the same as we did for the X.
actually, if the X is plugged into the mixer, then you should adjust the gain on the mixer first.

Now you should be sending a stereo out from the mixer to your Mbox. I don't know how you have your mixer set up, but I would think you are taking the main outs to your monitors. Then your M-box's main outs going to a TR in, or an Aux in, or to a stereo channel. The Fantom should be going into a stereo channel, and your mic should be going into a channel. this way you can play the Fantom, and sing to previously recorded material. Now if you don't have a special recording output, that is isolated from the main stereo out, then you'll have to use your two aux outs as feeds for the MBox. If you want to record your Fantom, and yourself singing at the same time, then feed your Fantom to aux 1, feed your vocal to aux 2.

dude, if you have everything working the way you want, cool I'm happy for you. If you need more help, e-mail me, and I'll be happy to help. [email protected]

I don't generally hang hear too often,