Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 02-13-2017, 06:58 PM

Default Dock fader sucks!

I've owned a Control 24 and just sold my D-Command ES. I just picked up the Dock...this fader feels really rough. It's stiff and mechanically really loud. Is this normal or is it just mine? I was planning to add an S3 as well. Is the S3 fader is the same as the Dock? Does anyone feel the same?

Last edited by Mike Landolt; 02-13-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Dock fader sucks!

S3 faders feel is fine imo, i.e. much smoother and more silent than D-command. Unfortunately, resolution is far less (not sure if that`s a hardware/software) thing:
above -10dB : 0.1dB
below -10dB :
- steps of .3 - .4 dB in protools
- steps of 1dB on S3 displays
(.1 dB on D-command, still .2 dB until -40 dB)

however, if you're planning on using your console intensively for automation, the S3 is a no-go as you can see in plenty of other threads in the S3 section.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:14 AM

might be of interest to you as well: knobs on S3 are a disaster: very jumpy, terrible ballistics and no fine control.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=365004
Old 02-14-2017, 07:52 AM

Are you currently using an S3 and a Dock? Reading through the thread people mention a sensitively issue with panning...has this been fixed? One thing the eq "Q" like in Waves SSL and Avid eq's are not populating on the Dock controllers. But the Native Instrumentals solid eq does work.
Best
Old 02-14-2017, 08:49 AM

no, it has not been fixed and it does`t look it will be anything soon (see link above)

What Avid eq are you talking about? all stock stuff seems to populate fine afaik, but I might have missed one or two.
I haven`t seen plug-ins not populating (although some do not populate all parameters).
I also noticed quite some Wave plugins are not controllable from the s3. Although they populate right, the scaling of the knobs is completely off with various Waves plug-ins.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoerik roevens View Post
the scaling of the knobs is completely off with various Waves plug-ins.
That's a whooooooole other issue... =)

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=381425
Old 02-15-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Anz View Post
That's a whooooooole other issue... =)

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=381425
That one's terrible indeed, however that`s not what I meant.
I was talking about plug-ins where you just barely touch a knob and the parameter jumps all the way to the other end. As if the scaling is about 100 times too sensitive.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:26 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean about the sensitivity of the controllers...after spending all day with the dock I do like the features plus the intuitive nature of the Control App and I'm getting used to the more robust fader. 3 1/2 years ago I owned 2 Mixes and a Control. The Eucon software was really inconsistent so I sold them and bought a D-Command ES. Now full circle Eucon is better just need to dive into the software. It is crazy though the Avid eq 7 band does not populate with "Q" point on the controllers...
Old 02-15-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Landolt View Post
It is crazy though the Avid eq 7 band does not populate with "Q" point on the controllers...
I thought you could press the SEL button (on the PT Control App) next to any of the frequencies that have a "Q" in order to see the Q param...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image001.jpg (67.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-15-2017, 09:40 PM

The Q control is a little hidden. It took me a few days to find it. I guess it's in the second layer because it wouldn't match with the eight available controls per layer. Four bands can have frequency and gain control. If every band would over three parameters there would be two bands with full parameter set and two more controls available.