Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2014, 01:42 AM

Default Re: New Mac pro, which Harddrives?

sorry to divert... the vast majority of hard drive failures/errors i've had have been power supply related, not the disk itself. Either the PSU failed at a really inconvenient moment or the amperage capacity somehow degraded, rendering the HD damaged. Also avoid cheap dock-type systems. IMO they all have too delicate SATA connection.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:12 AM

Post Re: New Mac pro, which Harddrives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Was the G-RAID configured as JBOD or what?
Unsure. Another tech I work with set it up and I don't have those details available at this moment.

Quote:
NTFS?
Yes.

Quote:
Was that mounted read-only?
Yes.

Quote:
Or was OS X hacked to support NTFS write (unsupported by Apple/not recommended), or was third party NTFS support installed?
Neither.

Quote:
Any error messages or system log warnings/errors associated with this?
I was not able to check for this at the time.

Quote:
I would be surprised if the Firewire adapter is causing an issue, the Thunderbolt to Firewire Apple adapters seem very reliable (and at a fundamental level are very similar to the PCIe/Firewire chipsets of older systems).
Right. I think (hope) that the Thunderbolt-->FireWire adapter is an all-or-nothing item. It either works or it doesn't, instead of working partially and causing issues.

Quote:
First think I would do is put this G-RAID drive back on a Windows system and made sure it worked OK, file system check was able to run OK etc.
If the copy from the G-RAID was successful, this might not happen. We loathe that PC and will probably only start it up again if it's necessary.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:52 AM

Default Re: New Mac pro, which Harddrives?

Was having problems with my Seagate GoFlex Desk Thunderbolt drive, so I just bought this (enclosure only version) to use on my home edit rig in JBOD mode as a Thunderbolt drive:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thund...lite-Dual-RAID

My studio Mac Pro doesn't have Thunderbolt, so I sync this data via the USB connection. When I eventually get the Darth Pro, I'll be able to use this as an online drive.

Performance was very good. Blackmagic Speed Test gave me a 140MB/sec read and write with a Seagate 3TB 7200 in there. Not quite the 170MB/sec I get with those drives on eSATA, but good enough for Pro Tools.

It's about as quiet as a Mac Pro 4,1. You wouldn't record right next to it, but if you get it a few feet away from you, editing is fine.