Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2019, 10:49 PM

Default Production requirements for Field Recorder Workflow?

Hey everyone,

Just to double check - what are the minimum requirements for the field recorder workflow? I have a documentary project coming up where they are insisting on editing with camera sound only, citing time constraints related to syncing the many weeks of rushes.

Will sound to camera and jamming timecode be adequate to sync production sound after picture is locked? It is being edited in media composer with the usual AAF handover to sound.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Production requirements for Field Recorder Workflow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Hey everyone,

Just to double check - what are the minimum requirements for the field recorder workflow? I have a documentary project coming up where they are insisting on editing with camera sound only, citing time constraints related to syncing the many weeks of rushes.

Will sound to camera and jamming timecode be adequate to sync production sound after picture is locked? It is being edited in media composer with the usual AAF handover to sound.
You need correct Sound Roll or Tape Metadata and Timecode Metadata in both the rushes and the referenced audio clips inside the AAF.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Production requirements for Field Recorder Workflow?

Absolutely ask them to export a sound EDL as well as a picture EDL, and get Kraken while the sale is still happening. I just assembled a feature with some noob picture editors, and there was no metadata in the AAF files. Using the picture EDL, I was able to fully assemble my dialogue tracks and the alt take workflow is incredible.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system