Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-24-2013, 12:50 AM

Default Muted buses

Hi
I am suffering from occasionally bus mutes. It happens in around 120-150 tracks session. Usually it is one bus that stops transmit audio. Sometimes purging DSP cache and session reload helps, sometimes it just lead to another bus muting. I use mcdsp and waves deessor plugins. Anybody see this on similar setup?
MacPro3,1 12 gb, PT 10, magma PE6R chassis, HD6 PCx. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-24-2013, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Muted buses

+1
Old 10-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Avid

This could be caused by a few things but most likely what you already alluded to, DSP Caching. I would suggest going into the Pro Tools System Usage window and unchecking the "DSP Cache" setting in the little hidden menu.

This will force all DSP to unload at session closings and reload for the next session opening.

Purging it might help but won't eliminate the problem.

Do you ever see this problem with sessions after first launching Pro Tools? In other words, if it's a DSP caching issue, you shouldn't ever see it when in the fist session opened after launching Pro Tools. It will only appear in the second or later sessions.

If it's not a DSP Cache issue, it could be a plugin problem, verify all plugins are current versions. And/or start eliminating plugins from your session systematically to see if you can narrow it down. Yes, this is a pain in the butt to do... It could also be a bad chip and/or DSP card. Have you run Digitest on the system?

Jon
Old 10-31-2013, 12:25 PM

1 i didn't notice it after machine reboot, but purging DSP cache doesn't always help
2 i run only MCDSP channel G, waves d-essor and 2 tl native plugins all current versions. once again never had the problem with a session with fewer busses and tracks.
3 i ran Digitest continiously more then 10 times with no errors reported.
i wonder is it something to do with my computer being quite old. i can replace it with 4,1 quad, not sure it will be better..
Old 11-01-2013, 05:52 AM

I have the same but on the tracks themselves. Sometimes a track simply doesn´t play any audio at all, even if there are not many clips playing at the same time on other tracks and it´s a simple session.

Sometimes moving the clips on that track to another or duplicate solves the problem, sometimes I need to close and reopen the session.

I´m running HDX on a brand new(not the cylinder) MAC PRO with 24 Gigs of RAM, so I don´t think is related to a computer being old or not. On the other hand, I believe is something related to Disk Cache as the audio is being played from an ISIS server.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 11-01-2013, 11:26 PM

i am also playing from server but in my case changing bus to any other then muted make the track play so i doubt it is something to do with disk cache
Old 10-28-2014, 10:22 AM

Hi, I just came across this problem with PT 11.2.1 Native HD. Has anyone figured out why this is happening? For me, the entire session goes mute until I either reset the i/o for any track or bus, or make any plugin inactive/active. This will work for a little while, and then I have to repeat the process. Haven't figured out a trigger yet as to why this is happening...seems random.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:51 AM

Wow...this just burned me today (PT HD Native 11.2.1). Had another engineer output a mix for me in another room and it printed totally dry with none of the reverb I had used. He didn't know reverb was supposed to be there but I caught it just before it went to client. Brought it back to my room and it turns out it was this bus muting problem randomly muting sends. The sends don't appear to be muted so it is hard to tell visually, but sure enough, there is no audio getting to the reverb auxes. This could turn out to be a pretty big bug if it keeps happening.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:52 AM

This problem shows up on both HDX and HD Native for us, so it is not a DSP caching problem.

This kind of thing has been going on for years - quitting and relaunching always fixes it, usually just closing and reopening the session fixes it.

Unfortunately, these bugs still exist for two reasons -
1) As there is no reproducible case, Avid can't do anything about them (unless they get clever and write some trace code for the mixer)
2) Because the bugs aren't reproducible, many customers don't bother reporting them anymore because they feel it's pointless to - they just quit and relaunch and get on with their day.

C'mon, Avid! Get clever about this!