Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2019, 10:36 AM

Default Is Digitranslator obsolete?

I have a license for Digitranslator (not 2.0) on my iLok. I'm assuming it's a leftover from the DV Toolkit days.

Is it still useful? Does it allow me to do anything I can't already do in Pro Tools Ultimate?

Is there any point in me buying the upgrade to 2.0? Does it have capabilities the original lacks?

Thanks for any insight. Avid's site doesn't say much about it. I can't tell if that's because the site is light on details or just that Digitranslator is a relic so Avid doesn't bother putting much effort into describing its capabilities.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Is Digitranslator obsolete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
I have a license for Digitranslator (not 2.0) on my iLok. I'm assuming it's a leftover from the DV Toolkit days.

Is it still useful? Does it allow me to do anything I can't already do in Pro Tools Ultimate?

Is there any point in me buying the upgrade to 2.0? Does it have capabilities the original lacks?

Thanks for any insight. Avid's site doesn't say much about it. I can't tell if that's because the site is light on details or just that Digitranslator is a relic so Avid doesn't bother putting much effort into describing its capabilities.
Digitranslator is built in to PT, the Digitranslator license was to activate the feature in Protools.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:38 PM

I have one of those licenses lying around along with our PT 7 licenses. No need for digitranslator unless you're running an old version of pro tools.

sent from a stupid phone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2019, 02:02 PM

Digitranslator was already old when DV Toolkit was first released. I brought Digitranslator when it first came out because it was required with ProTools HD (according to my PT's supplier back then anyway) At that time DT did not work with standard Pro Tools. My memory from those days is that with standard PT's installs timecode was not a function.

DVToolkit changed this allowing Pro Tools standard to use timecode (opening a feature from PT HD?) and thus allowing users to import and create sessions from OMF's and AAF's.
A long time ago the built in ProTools HD AAF import UI became a substantially expanded and improved version of Digitranslator 2.

Andrew
Old 03-16-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAction View Post
My memory from those days is that with standard PT's installs timecode was not a function.

DVToolkit changed this allowing Pro Tools standard to use timecode (opening a feature from PT HD?) and thus allowing users to import and create sessions from OMF's and AAF's.
That is my memory as well. My first ProTools rig was 4.3.1 and even though I was doing 90% of my work in radio, we did have the DV Toolkit as well on that rig.

Mutt partner and I got our first Pro Tools LE setup with an original MBox in the early aughties and I believe we needed the DV Toolkit to work to picture at all, and definitely to import OMFs. That might've been strictly an issue of timecode.

We got our first Pro Tools HD licence in aught-6, and I don't think we needed another instance of DV Toolkit, but perhaps that's because we were able to use one of them for OMF import and did not need it to work to pixie on the HD rig. That I do not recall.

sent from a stupid phone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2019, 11:15 PM

Thanks all! I'm trying to do a little housekeeping. As time goes on and updates are applied, some components become obsolete but remain on the drive. Such cruft is distracting when troubleshooting, so I'd like to get rid of anything I don't need.