Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2016, 08:52 AM

Default Re: MBox Pro and FireWire/Thunderbolt adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Newman View Post
Would you be able to link me to the firewire 400 to fw 800 cable you used? Thx
check out ebay
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's
Old 12-04-2016, 07:24 PM

Hello,

My friend lent me MBox Pro (3rd gen) 990. I have purchased Apple's Thurnderbolt to Firewire (precisely this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_adapter.html)

I tried to use it with my MacBookPro with operating system 10.8.5. The device is not recognized.

I installed the following:
Avid HD Driver 11.3.1 - didn't work
Mac OSX 1.2.12 - didn't work
Mac OSX 1.3.5 - didn't work

Any recommendation? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:22 AM

What Mac are you using? What version of ProTools? Are you using the 6 pin to 9 pin adapter that comes with the Mbox Pro? What do you mean by 990?
Old 12-20-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaleonid View Post
Hello,

My friend lent me MBox Pro (3rd gen) 990. I have purchased Apple's Thurnderbolt to Firewire (precisely this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_adapter.html)

I tried to use it with my MacBookPro with operating system 10.8.5. The device is not recognized.

I installed the following:
Avid HD Driver 11.3.1 - didn't work
Mac OSX 1.2.12 - didn't work
Mac OSX 1.3.5 - didn't work

Any recommendation? Thanks.
Some basic info like exactly what model Mac you have, what OS X version (EDIT: oops I see you said OS X 10.8.5.. so the latest Mbox 3 Pro 1.3.5 divers should be OK.. but looks like you tried them) and what exact Pro Tools version would help.

Why did you try to install a HD driver for an Mbox 3 Pro?

Does the Mbox 3 Pro appear to power up? Lights on? Power plugged in? Correct wallwart/power pack? Does it show up under Firewire devices in OS X System Info? Does it show up under audio devices in audio midi setup?

Wast the Mbox 3 Pro known to work recently? With the same Power supply and Firewire cable you are using now?

Try a different Firewire cable.

Try a different Firewire device on that cable and Thunderbolt adapter.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-20-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:40 PM

Just wanted to say I have my Asus G751, Windows 8.1, Pro Tools 12.6.1 HD system working with the MBox Pro 3 via 6 pin (Firewire 400) to 9 pin (Firewire 800) to Apple Firewire to Thunderbolt WORKING!!!

Took me a minute to figure out, but after installing the latest driver, then restarting, then opening the Mbox Box Pro App and making sure the "Hardware Connected" signal was there, I launched Pro Tools and changed the Playback Engine to Mbox Pro. Viola. Success.

I still can't believe companies, besides Focusrite, haven't figured out how to make interfaces work with thunderbolt on Windows, considering I can get an old Mbox Pro 3 to work perfectly through a firewire to thunderbolt converter. Seems like that would be more difficult than just straight to the thunderbolt header with no conversions.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:04 AM

Hi all, I'm wondering if ye can help me out. I have protools 11 on a macbook pro retina, 2.6, i7 processor. I have 2 USB 3.0 ports and 2 thunderbolt ports. I have a scarlett 6i6 that only has a USB 2.0 connection, I have an ilok, a midi keybaord, and an external harddrive. How am I going to connect all these? I've seen discussions where people advised buying a hub or that? Some I seen are very expensive. i'd really appreciate some advice on what I should get, Hubs, connections, What device I should connect to what port, etc, I don't have a massive budget so the cheaper the better I just want everything I'm connecting to be running ok. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:03 PM

Hi aslamamin. What connection options does your hard drive have? Your easiest solution will probably be to buy a USB hub. These are inexpensive and will work for your midi keyboards, iLok, etc, combining them all into one of your USB ports. The other USB 3.0 port will power your scarlett 6i6.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:28 AM

My hard-drive has a USB 3.0 Connection. But the two problems from what someone previously replied to me (see below) is my hard-drive is 5400rpm and he said that a USB 3.0 external hub may not work properly and I would need a thunderbolt one? Can I get some opinions and advice please? Im really looking to save as much as i can because I don't have a lot of cash at the moment but still I would want it working properly you know. Also a quick question do people here, run pro tools from their external hard-drive? I just had any songs i created saved on the external with program itself on my Mac dock. I have a pro keys 88sx midi keyboard, iLok, scarlett 6i6 usb interface, and wireless mouse. Appreciate the advice everyone.

"Please, tell us which type of connection your Midi keyboard is using as well as which type of connection your external hard drive is using.
Further make sure your external hard drive is Pro Tools compatible which means, only 7200rpm HDD or SSD and only USB 3 or Thunderbolt connected.

From what I can see now you will not get through without any USB hub at all. The best solution in your particular case would be a Thunderbolt hub which
you connect to one of your TB ports and which offers USB ports as well. But these are even more expensive than USB hubs.

The Scarlett should be connected directly to one of your two USB 3 ports because audio interfaces should not be run from hubs under normal circumstances.
To the second USB 3 port (or to one of your Thunderbolt ports if you get a TB hub) you connect a hub, to this hub you connect your external drive (again
except it is a Thunderbolt drive, then you can use one of your free TB ports on your MBP for it), your Midi keyboard as well as your iLok.

If your external drive has got an own power supply you do not need a powered hub. If however your external drive will be powered via USB only you have to
use a powered hub. Otherwise your external drive will fail to work properly.

This might be an adequate powered USB 3 for example and it is not expensive.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker®-Uspe...n%3A1028263031
If your external drive has got an own power supply you can use such a one as well.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Por...n%3A1028263031

But don't try to use your external, via USB powered, drive on the cheap unpowered USB hub. You will not get happy with it. It even can destroy your external
hard drive in the long run.

This one would be the best solution for your system but it costs more than the other two hubs.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgato-Thun...nderbolt+2+hub

Again, connect the Scarlett directly to the Macbook because your audio interface should not have to go via any hub. To the second USB port on your MBP you might
connect a powered USB 3 hub where you put in all your other stuff. In case you go with the Thunderbolt 2 hub you may connect you external drive directly to the
second USB port on your MBP (if it´s an USB drive) and everything else to the TB hub.

You see, there will be no way out unfortunately. You will have to use a hub anyway.

The best of success to you."
Old 10-22-2017, 01:44 PM

Default MBox Pro and FireWire/Thunderbolt adapter

What is the actual problem you are trying to solve, not what somebody told you... what actual error message do you get or what actual limitation do you have today? If you cannot connect this stuff now how are you working? Are you trying to add stuff here to solve another problem, if so exactly what one?

Why are you wasting any time with a 5400 RPM drive at all? They are painfully slow even for backup. And too slow to be a reliable audio drive.
What is on the external drive? Audio/sessions, samples? Why not just work off the fast internal SSD? What *exact* model MBP do you have... date name or model number. What *exact* make/model external HDD.

There is no such thing as a thunderbolt hub.

And multiple posts/cross posting stuff just wastes everybody’s time. Hopefully you are not asking the same questions in multiple threads here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2017, 02:20 PM

Its not running at the moment because I havn't enough connections for my midi keyboard, the only way I knew it was working was because I could load samples in that were working and could hear them etc, I don't have enough ports to play through midi now. SO I was looking into getting more ports and yes I was advised to get external additional ports that have thunderbolt capabilities on them (yes you can get them) , I followed the link on there and found them.The reason I came here was because I was seeking advise on whether people were using external USB hubs or the external ones with thunderbolt capabilites as well as USB ports (These are just more expensive) So I wanted to see if people managed to get by without them. As I said I couldn't afford the 7200rpm harddrive, so I had the 5400rpm its an intenso model, maybe my own mac will be better than , its a mac, 2.6ghz, i7 late 2013 model, Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, with 500gb flash storage, I have to say I found you were quite rude with your answers, like "What is the actual problem you are trying to solve, not what somebody told you..." , "There is no such thing as a thunderbolt hub." ... "And multiple posts/cross posting stuff just wastes everybody’s time. "
if you prefer to be like that please just let someone else answer me.